Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which prominent comedies have you never seen/read/heard?

Started by Brundle-Fly, July 16, 2020, 08:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armin Meiwes

And yeah in regard to This Country, saw about ten minutes of it and thought "urgh yeah this is just a pound stretcher The Office isn't it" then someone told me I was being an idiot and needed to try again and I did and realised that it was in fact very good.

Blue Jam

As someone who grew up in a small village This Country *really* speaks to me.

Another confession: In the last few years I have mostly read non-fiction books and have really struggled to get into any fiction at all. I had never even heard of Portnoy's Complaint until I read this thread. I'm not sure about starting a Classic Comic Novels thread though, that could straddle Comedy Chat and Shelf Abuse.

chveik

Blue Jam

Reading this thread I don't understand how Only Fools And Horses is so revered while Men Behaving Badly isn't. I'm indifferent to OFAH but re-watching MBB I've been struck by how enjoyable I still find it, and what a massive influence it must have been on Peep Show.

shagatha crustie

My list is similar to yours Brundle-Fly. Lot of American stuff I just don't have the energy for. You must watch Nathan For You, the Thick of It and more Arrested Development tho. AD takes a couple of episodes to appreciate its genius rhythms and callbacks and to get a sense of what the writers are 'doing,' I'd be really surprised if you didn't love it after 2 or 3.

Lockdown gave me the chance to watch all of Bojack Horseman. I really liked it but I very rarely laughed out loud despite appreciating the humour - instead it tended to make me feel quite depressed. In a good way I suppose. It's a pretty caustic satire of 21st century culture, the entertainment industry and the social media generation, but is also extremely millennial and 'woke,' in an even-handed, intelligent way. Maybe towards the end it got a bit too important for its own boots, I dunno.

On a roll with US popular comedy after watching BJH, I tried Community. Got halfway through the first series and gave up. Felt weirdly trashy and bleak. I've just realised that maybe it reminded me of that terrible Green Wing spinoff Campus.

Famous Mortimer

Also never seen a second of Nathan For You (although I loved that Dumb Starbucks gag he did). I really don't like stuff where the public is roped into stuff - like those person-on-the-street bits of Eric Andre's show, which otherwise is almost perfect - so...dunno.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: shagatha crustie on July 19, 2020, 09:43:18 PM
My list is similar to yours Brundle-Fly. Lot of American stuff I just don't have the energy for.

It's when I see on Netflix that there are ten seasons of some U.S. show, I find it a bit overwhelming. That was what put me off watching Always Sunny... at first because there is so much of it. Glad I dived in though.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 20, 2020, 04:11:19 AM
Also never seen a second of Nathan For You (although I loved that Dumb Starbucks gag he did). I really don't like stuff where the public is roped into stuff

I don't like hidden camera or prank type shows that much, but when Nathan Fielder involves the public he does it with charm and it never really came across as mean spirited.  There were probably a couple of exceptions over the episodes but not enough to put me off watching the show.Fielder's brand of comedy has more in common with magic shows than, say, Candid Camera.

NFY is top tier comedy. Highly recommended.