Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:37:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

QAnon: Won't Somebody Think of the Storage Cabinets?

Started by Retinend, July 17, 2020, 07:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

QAnon researchers are campaigning to stop the pedogeddon and have found the next Comet Ping Pong: Wayfair Furniture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjF81V2hJd0

I wanted to make a QAnon thread when the Atlantic did a brilliant series on conspiracy theories a month ago. Here is an excerpt from their "Prophecies of Q" article by Adrienne LaFrance:

QuotePeople who have taken Q to heart like to say they've been paying attention from the very beginning, the way someone might brag about having listened to Radiohead before The Bends. A promise of foreknowledge is part of Q's appeal, as is the feeling of being part of a secret community, which is reinforced through the use of acronyms and ritual phrases such as "Nothing can stop what is coming" and "Trust the plan."

One phrase that serves as a special touchstone among QAnon adherents is "the calm before the storm." Q first used it a few days after his initial post, and it arrived with a specific history. On the evening of October 5, 2017—not long before Q first made himself known on 4chan—President Trump stood beside the first lady in a loose semicircle with 20 or so senior military leaders and their spouses for a photo in the State Dining Room at the White House. Reporters had been invited to watch as Trump's guests posed and smiled. Trump couldn't seem to stop talking. "You guys know what this represents?" he asked at one point, tracing an incomplete circle in the air with his right index finger. "Tell us, sir," one onlooker replied. The president's response was self-satisfied, bordering on a drawl: "Maybe it's the calm before the storm."

"What's the storm?" one of the journalists asked.

"Could be the calm—the calm before the storm," Trump said again. His repetition seemed to be for dramatic effect. The whir of camera shutters grew louder.

The reporters became insistent: "What storm, Mr. President?"

A curt response from Trump: "You'll find out."

Those 37 seconds of presidential ambiguity made headlines right away—relations with Iran had been tense in recent days—but they would also become foundational lore for eventual followers of Q. The president's circular hand gesture is of particular interest to them. You may think he was motioning to the semicircle gathered around him, they say, but he was really drawing the letter Q in the air. Was Trump playing the role of John the Baptist, proclaiming what was to come? Was he himself the anointed one?

Read: Covfefe and the real meaning of a Trump typo turned meme

It's impossible to know the number of QAnon adherents with any precision, but the ranks are growing. At least 35 current or former congressional candidates have embraced Q, according to an online tally by the progressive nonprofit Media Matters for America. Those candidates have either directly praised QAnon in public or approvingly referenced QAnon slogans. (One Republican candidate for Congress, Matthew Lusk of Florida, includes QAnon under the "issues" section of his campaign website, posing the question: "Who is Q?") QAnon has by now made its way onto every major social and commercial platform and any number of fringe sites. Tracy Diaz, a QAnon evangelist, known online by the name TracyBeanz, has 185,000 followers on Twitter and more than 100,000 YouTube subscribers. She helped lift QAnon from obscurity, facilitating its transition to mainstream social media. (A publicist described Diaz as "really private" and declined requests for an interview.) On TikTok, videos with the hashtag #QAnon have garnered millions of views. There are too many QAnon Facebook groups, plenty of them ghost towns, to do a proper count, but the most active ones publish thousands of items each day. (In 2018, Reddit banned QAnon groups from its platform for inciting violence.)

Adherents are ever looking out for signs from on high, plumbing for portents when guidance from Q himself is absent. The coronavirus, for instance—what does it signify? In several of the big Facebook groups, people erupted in a frenzy of speculation, circulating a theory that Trump's decision to wear a yellow tie to a White House briefing about the virus was a sign that the outbreak wasn't real: "He is telling us there is no virus threat because it is the exact same color as the maritime flag that represents the vessel has no infected people on board," someone wrote in a post that was widely shared and remixed across social media. Three days before the World Health Organization officially declared the coronavirus a pandemic, Trump was retweeting a QAnon-themed meme. "Who knows what this means, but it sounds good to me!" the president wrote on March 8, sharing a Photoshopped image of himself playing a violin overlaid with the words "Nothing can stop what is coming."

From the March 2020 issue: The billion-dollar disinformation campaign to reelect the president

On March 9, Q himself issued a triptych of ominous posts that seemed definitive: The coronavirus is real, but welcome, and followers should not be afraid. The first post shared Trump's tweet from the night before and repeated, "Nothing Can Stop What Is Coming." The second said: "The Great Awakening is Worldwide." The third was simple: "GOD WINS."

I highly recommend reading the whole thing, which I have uploaded here in a printable form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qi2h6YbT9_n7SSWd6L4dBQzmzdtizCVP/view?usp=sharing

dissolute ocelot

It's weird because Wayfair actually has been involved in abusing children and separating them from their parents, by supplying Trump's immigrant child detention centres. I guess you feed that through the Internet Chinese Whispers Machine a few thousand times and you get them selling pieces of furniture with girls hidden inside.

In a sense it's no different from the mobs of bevvied-up thugs gathering outside a newsagent shouting "paedo" because the guy inside sold sweets to children. But at least it keeps them off the streets?

Retinend

Quote from: mobias on July 17, 2020, 10:03:14 AM
Another interesting article here. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jun/25/qanon-facebook-conspiracy-theories-algorithm

Thank you.

I zeroed in on this detail:

QuoteThe Guardian did not initially go looking for QAnon content on Facebook. Instead, Facebook's algorithms recommended a QAnon group to a Guardian reporter's account after it had joined pro-Trump, anti-vaccine and anti-lockdown Facebook groups. The list of more than 100 QAnon groups and accounts was then generated by following Facebook's recommendation algorithms and using simple keyword searches. The Instagram accounts were discovered by searching for "QAnon" in the app's discovery page and then following Instagram's algorithmic recommendations.

I'm still working out what I think about "the algorithm". If it is working to radicalise vulnerable people by feeding them more and more of the same, then how does it differ from the methods of radicalisation in the 1930s, pre-internet? I think the difference is that although radicalization is in human nature, the algorithm is a catalyst for radicalisation where there would otherwise be none.

The difference between now and then is that then they were arguing about issues of life and death in a political vacuum left by the establishment and a crippling world-wide depression, whereas today the algorithm is such a powerful decentralised tool of radicalization that it is radicalising people based on issues that barely affect their lives directly, and amidst relative economic stability.

The algorithm flatters the object of radicalization by lifting them from their humdrum life and giving them a place in a battle of manichean proportions. If this self-flattery goes to far, people lose all sense of their own biases and start joking-not-joking about "NPCs" and "normies" ("Kill All Normies") just as human beings were degraded to subhuman pigs for the slaughter, all because of their politics, in the 1930s. In the case of Qanon it is heading in a very dangerous direction and it will only take individuals to be targeted, rather than institutions, for this to end in bloodshed. A very stupid bloodshed.

beanheadmcginty

You won't believe what I found inside the Smeg fridge I had delivered recently.

Dewt

Torn between hating QAnon and wanting Wayfair to end

Some things about conspiracy theories playing on my mind this evening that I wanted to ask the cab minds.

1)What proportion of people who create, share and spread conspiracy theories really beleive them, and what proportion are deliberately and conciously lying in order to discredit their opponents? When I was younger and a bit more optimistic I used to think it would be possible to talk people out of these beliefs- but of course that's only possible if they really do earnestly beleive them and aren't just bullshitting.

2)When did conspiracy theory becomes so strongly associated with the right? Two decades ago, my friends who were claiming that 9-11 was an inside job were all broadly left wing, and beleived that Bush and pals had done it to furhter U.S. imperialism, and would also link conspiracy theory to a range of progressive ideas- e.g. JFK got bumped off because he was too pro-black , too willing to end the Cold War etc. They also used to forward stuff from Infowars and Prison Planet, websites that seem quite blantantly fascist today. What changed?

Dewt

I think I always associated conspiracy theorists with the right. Donny from The Big Lebowski, Dale from King of the Hill

Harry Badger

Just ordered a woodshed from these lads. Will let you know if there are any 'extras'.

Dewt

I thought "that reminds me of that 'there's something in the woodshed' Divine Comedy song I haven't heard since the mid-90s" so I went to listen to it and it it opens with children laughing and the spoken line "I say, I love little kids"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjfa_RB6Pc

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 12:15:07 AM
Torn between hating QAnon and wanting Wayfair to end

do both

QAnon is a toddler tier organisation for a dulled populace. Very little imagination. Cicada 311 likewise. Just building on tired tropes and cliches that wouldn't pass an X-files script first reading.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Retinend on July 17, 2020, 11:13:49 AM
Thank you.

I zeroed in on this detail:

I'm still working out what I think about "the algorithm". If it is working to radicalise vulnerable people by feeding them more and more of the same, then how does it differ from the methods of radicalisation in the 1930s, pre-internet? I think the difference is that although radicalization is in human nature, the algorithm is a catalyst for radicalisation where there would otherwise be none.

The difference between now and then is that then they were arguing about issues of life and death in a political vacuum left by the establishment and a crippling world-wide depression, whereas today the algorithm is such a powerful decentralised tool of radicalization that it is radicalising people based on issues that barely affect their lives directly, and amidst relative economic stability.

The algorithm flatters the object of radicalization by lifting them from their humdrum life and giving them a place in a battle of manichean proportions. If this self-flattery goes to far, people lose all sense of their own biases and start joking-not-joking about "NPCs" and "normies" ("Kill All Normies") just as human beings were degraded to subhuman pigs for the slaughter, all because of their politics, in the 1930s. In the case of Qanon it is heading in a very dangerous direction and it will only take individuals to be targeted, rather than institutions, for this to end in bloodshed. A very stupid bloodshed.

It's worse than that. This is pure capitalism - Facebook wants people to keep using Facebook, and they know which groups generate engagement and posts to enable them to show more ads to people, so they direct them there. The problem with this (and Youtube's algorithm) is that it's a circle - people don't want boring shit, they want outrageous shit, and more outrageous shit. Youtube is the same and rewards videos when they're watched all the way through so their ads have more engagement with that brand, which leads to more and more outrageous videos being "suggested". They know what works, and at the moment, it's faux outrage from people not really paying attention. And it's going to get worse.

BlodwynPig

Well said EvComm, is there any way back from this?

Dewt

No. The only sensible thing to do is to have a goal of withdrawing from society at large, but even that right is taken away from most of us. I could make do with basic shelter and sustenance and some books, but that is simply not allowed because it doesn't involve generating profit for the rich.

JesusAndYourBush

A few days ago I saw someone on facebook post about the cabinets story (before I'd heard about it anywhere else) and it was so ridiculous I knew it must be bullshit.  Funnily enough the article included the phrase "you literally couldn't make this up".  For a moment I thought about replying that that's literally what it was, but didn't as I suspected the person would say I was defending the weirdos.  The trouble with not responding is that this means that the people who post this kind of shit are just screaming into an echo chamber, with the only replies being from other kooks.

All Surrogate

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 06:43:33 AM
I thought "that reminds me of that 'there's something in the woodshed' Divine Comedy song I haven't heard since the mid-90s" so I went to listen to it and it it opens with children laughing and the spoken line "I say, I love little kids"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjfa_RB6Pc

I'm pretty sure it's "I say, how about a little kiss?"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 18, 2020, 12:51:29 PM
A few days ago I saw someone on facebook post about the cabinets story (before I'd heard about it anywhere else) and it was so ridiculous I knew it must be bullshit.  Funnily enough the article included the phrase "you literally couldn't make this up".  For a moment I thought about replying that that's literally what it was, but didn't as I suspected the person would say I was defending the weirdos.  The trouble with not responding is that this means that the people who post this kind of shit are just screaming into an echo chamber, with the only replies being from other kooks.

Tell him BlodwynPig says this...and write your opinion

BlodwynPig

Dog Botherer

lead singer of 3 Doors Down is on the Q shit now

Retinend

QDRPHNC

I hated Wayfair already, for their shoddy overpriced furniture.

Dex Sawash

First time I browsed wayfair it was impossibly cheap, like 200 for a big sofa delivered. A month later everything is normal prices. QAlgorithm cunts.

flotemysost

I ordered a desk from them at the start of lockdown so I could work from my room (it's pretty flimsy and a bit of a rip-off for what it is, but it's the only one I could find that would fit in the limited space I've got)... anyway I mildly banjaxed both hands on a rough edge while putting it together, it looked a bit like stigmata so this is clearly a sign that Jesus is watching us all through our furniture.

BlodwynPig

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on July 18, 2020, 01:11:37 AM
2)When did conspiracy theory becomes so strongly associated with the right? Two decades ago, my friends who were claiming that 9-11 was an inside job were all broadly left wing, and beleived that Bush and pals had done it to furhter U.S. imperialism, and would also link conspiracy theory to a range of progressive ideas- e.g. JFK got bumped off because he was too pro-black , too willing to end the Cold War etc. They also used to forward stuff from Infowars and Prison Planet, websites that seem quite blantantly fascist today. What changed?
Probably with the election of Obama. The Tea Party formed in 2009, and there was the whole "he's a secret non-American Muslim" stuff. As it all was basically unmoored from reality anyway, it was probably easier for them to pretend an elaborate conspiracy rather than come to terms with a black guy getting elected President. Then I think people on the right saw this large, credulous base of people and moved on in. QAnon is obviously horseshit to any outsider, so unless it's tens of thousands of people doing the world's most elaborate "bit"?

Dewt

Quote from: All Surrogate on July 18, 2020, 12:54:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it's "I say, how about a little kiss?"
Hah, it clearly is. I listened to it with some noise going on and my brain filled in the details very incorrectly

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 18, 2020, 09:36:33 AM
Well said EvComm, is there any way back from this?
Thanks, I only have my opinion but there's a big gap now where the world has to figure out where we stand with "countries" and "multinationals". I mean, Facebook, Twitter and Amazon probably have more power than most European countries at this point.

We saw with the EU's "right to be forgotten" law that we can legislate these companies to do things, and indeed, one path is "legislation is the answer", but that would require some very courageous[nb]Sir Humphrey. We had Kevin Rudd here in Australia who had the temerity to tax mining companies and they basically shafted him in mass advertising[/nb] politicians. Maybe we could just start taxing the pricks, and require any sort of profit-maxing digital enterprise in a country has a local office, and any income earned against citizens has to be taxable, without including overseas writeoffs/transfers (which solves a bunch of problems too, hi Apple Ireland)

Digital Literacy helps, but expecting people to understand that would be like expecting Americans to have a functioning secondary school education, it's not going to happen on average. Maybe we need to remind everyone we know that like with Clearview, everything they put of Facebook is going into a facial recognition system, bypassing all the "rules" Facebook setup for them, and used by whoever wants to pay for it.

I dunno, how do we get the average person to act rationally and think through the decisions they make? How about a pandemic, that'll wreck everyone's opinions of fascist goons, right?.......