Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favorite Secluded Movies On An Island/Water?

Started by MortSahlFan, July 17, 2020, 09:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

A ton of Bergman movies. "Persona" is probably the best movie out of the bunch. Faro Island is beautiful.

Last Day of Summer (1958) – considered an "experimental auteur" flick, but don't let that scare you. It's about a man who meets a woman, and there's no one else in the movie (which I like, too)... It's in Polish, but there isn't THAT much dialogue and it can be appreciated without subtitles, although I was lucky and found this somewhere online by accident. I tried searching, couldn't find it, but if I do, I'll post it. I think there's a 5-minute clip on YouTube.

"Hell in the Pacific" is a really cool movie with only two characters (Toshiro Mifune, Lee Marvin), but its a lot of jungle.

Unfortunately if you google this, you'll see nothing but stranded movies... If I think of more, I'll reply.

greenman

A lot of Bergman on Faro like Though a Glass Darkly or Tarkovsky's Sacrifce.

Technically a lot of stuff in Manhatten but Escape From Newyork actually using it, along the same lines Battle Royale.

chveik

El Unicornio, mang

Cast Away (the Tom Hanks one), showing the harsh realities vs the fantasy we have in our heads

thugler

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 17, 2020, 12:56:16 PM
Cast Away (the Tom Hanks one), showing the harsh realities vs the fantasy we have in our heads

Yeah, always thought this one was good, the stuff on the island is decent enough, but I enjoyed how when he returns to the real world it's impossible for him to readapt. No cheesy happy ending

dissolute ocelot

Adding to those mentioned especially Persona, The Red Turtle (brilliant animated movie on a deserted island); Polanski's Knife in the Water (which is largely set on a yacht) - I've not seen his Cul de Sac which I believe is set on an island in Northumberland, clearly a guy who likes water (also a plot point in Chinatown); and the recent Portrait of a Lady on Fire (island). I'm not sure if Joe vs the Volcano counts, partly because the bits in the US are best, or Jurassic Park (population of the island does decline rapidly) or Moana (one of the best recent Disney, set on a lot of very secluded islands).

MortSahlFan

Someone asked me on another site why I used the word "secluded" instead of "stranded".. They also asked me what the difference is.

I wanted secluded because stranded means they are stuck, and not by choice. Where seclusion could be two lovers who just happened to be there. No danger, living the same type of life they would anywhere else, only they are surrounded by water, nature, etc... Like many Bergman movies, which were in Faro Island because Ingmar lived there. It's quite stunning cinematography, and for me, seems to throw me into the movie, as a close observer, as opposed to a lot of movement all over the world and in different types of settings.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

All is Lost, starring Robert Redford by himself on a sinking yacht.

beanheadmcginty

Dead Calm. That seemed to be on telly all the time when I was young.

Emma Raducanu

Second The Red Turtle. It's an absolute beauty.

greenman

Quote from: MortSahlFan on July 17, 2020, 04:27:21 PM
Someone asked me on another site why I used the word "secluded" instead of "stranded".. They also asked me what the difference is.

I wanted secluded because stranded means they are stuck, and not by choice. Where seclusion could be two lovers who just happened to be there. No danger, living the same type of life they would anywhere else, only they are surrounded by water, nature, etc... Like many Bergman movies, which were in Faro Island because Ingmar lived there. It's quite stunning cinematography, and for me, seems to throw me into the movie, as a close observer, as opposed to a lot of movement all over the world and in different types of settings.

Kaneto Shindo's The Naked Island.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Absorb the anus burn

The Wicker Man.... [nb]minus the seclusion[/nb]

hamfist

The Big Blue, where the seclusion happens deep under water

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: MortSahlFan on July 17, 2020, 04:27:21 PM

I wanted secluded because stranded means they are stuck, and not by choice.

Have you seen Long Weekend (1978)? Ah, read your post wrong.

Can't remember if The Isle (2000) fits the bill. I can only remember scenes in the middle of a lake.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There's no point asking whether he's watched something or not. Mort has watched all the films.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

itsfredtitmus

Anyone ever seen The Noah (1975)? It's pretty much the perfect secluded island type thing, absolutely stunning black & white too

Brundle-Fly

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Just remembered an obvious one, The Beach. It also meets your criteria of seclusion, not being stranded.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on July 26, 2020, 10:34:14 PM
Anyone ever seen The Noah (1975)? It's pretty much the perfect secluded island type thing, absolutely stunning black & white too
I haven't, looks interesting, and its on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzOQWUwO9sU