Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When non-disco acts go disco.

Started by Dusty Substance, July 17, 2020, 12:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

I freakin' love side one of Hot Space.

I feel little or no shame.

New page shame.

buzby

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 27, 2020, 11:11:17 AM
Pete "Buzzcocks" Shelley's dancey gay-sex-themed 1981 solo single Homosapien, produced by Martin Rushent who also did Human League's Dare.
Shelley was producing electronic music long before forming Buzzcocks, having recorded the experimental album Sky Yen using a homebuilt oscillator in 1974 prior to meeting Howard Devoto. He self-released it in 1980 just prior to Buzzcocks' split.

Homosapien was the lead single for the album of the same name. It's hardly disco, more synth pop (as is the rest of the album). His second album XL1 (featuring the excellent Telephone Operator) was also co-produced by Rushent (Shelley was signed to Genetic Records, Rushent's own label which by that time was licenced to Island). XL1 also famously came with with a ZX Spectrum program that generated visuals to accompany the album tracks.

He carried on making electronic pop for most of the rest of his solo career, including the theme music for C4's coverage of the Tour of Britain and Tour De France (based on Give It To Me, the 12" B-side to the 1984 single Never Again). Give It To Me was also later revived in 1986 as the B-side to Your Love, the sole single put out by his short-lived side-project Zip.

TheMonk

Ner ner ner nerrrrrrr ner!
Nananananana naaa
Nananananana naaa

I Don't Know What It Is/Witness The Change was big on the Italian Cosmic disco scene, there is a good Italo Disco cover by PL from 1982 on ZYX Records.

NoSleep

Psychedelic disco from Miroslav Vitous (bass, gtr, minimoog) on his track New York City, also featuring Herbie Hancock (keys), Airto Moriera (perc), James Gadson (drums):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abOpFoKXaiM

Fabian Thomsett

Soft Machine (admittedly minus any of the original members) took an unexpected left turn into Giorgio Moroder territory with this 1978 single. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFdnMXeidQ

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on July 27, 2020, 03:37:36 PM
3 pages and no mention of  Max Bygraves?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_WQqgftuw
*Pssst* See post number 12, and hope NoSleep hasn't seen you!

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on July 27, 2020, 05:05:18 PM
*Pssst* See post number 12, and hope NoSleep hasn't seen you!

Ah damn! Didn't see that.

It's worth posting twice though. Real shame that cockney/disco crossover never took off...

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on July 27, 2020, 05:35:24 PM
Ah damn! Didn't see that.

It's worth posting twice though. Real shame that cockney/disco crossover never took off...
Three times, even - see post two, though it was hidden by a Brian Pern reference.

Aussie garage rockers Spiderbait used to make noisy tunes like this:

Buy Me A Pony

and then released an album with this on it:

Glockenpop