Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:10:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Massive queue outside chippy

Started by pancreas, July 17, 2020, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 01:12:21 PM
You can't get a phaal outside the west mids, I only found that out recently (not that I'd ever order one obv)

You can, I've seen it from time in Kingston/Surbiton (Although never dared)

seepage

available in East England too. Last time I tried it, it was only because the birthday boy said he'd pay for everyone's meal if we all had one.

Bazooka

You can't get a phaal outside the west mids, I only found that out recently (not that I'd ever order one obv)

You can get a phaal in somewhere as un-diverse as Lincoln. Phaal is child's play.

Sebastian Cobb

Naaah I'm sure I've seen them in Scotland.

I wouldn't order one either mind.

Something I don't see very often but quite like is Chicken Darbari.

In my area they charge by the chip. 1p for a small chip, 2p for a big chip.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: DistressedArea on July 22, 2020, 01:45:47 PM
In my area they charge by the chip. 1p for a small chip, 2p for a big chip.

Don't know how that's possible. On average there's about 50-60 chips in a small bag so by that logic its 60p for a bag of chips? not even David Dickinson would go that low.

Yeah, if you only eat small chips, lol.

Fish and chip man has a nearly new Ford Focus, I think he's doing ok for himself.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: DistressedArea on July 22, 2020, 04:22:00 PM
Yeah, if you only eat small chips, lol.

Fish and chip man has a nearly new Ford Focus, I think he's doing ok for himself.

If a nearly new ford focus is the barometer of success, then I must be Warren Buffet.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they make them anymore. Way better than the Volcanic Vindaloo they do.
I'm aware that this is from a supermarket, not a takeaway or restaurant, but it still counts. IT STILL COUNTS.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 21, 2020, 07:20:47 PM
Okay. How about a pickled onion then?

Haven't had one of those since the 90s. Maybe I should. Perhaps the reason my guts are so fucked is because I'm not eating enough pickled food?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It definitely is. Strength Through Adversity. You should probably just eat a whole jar of pickled onions right now.

Chollis

just some warm coleslaw for me please

Old Thrashbarg

One thing I miss about Hull is the pattie.

Why would I want deep fried potato to go with my deep fried potato I hear you ask. Well this is deep fried mash potato. With sage! The sagest of all the herbs.

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 22, 2020, 05:06:56 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they make them anymore. Way better than the Volcanic Vindaloo they do.
I'm aware that this is from a supermarket, not a takeaway or restaurant, but it still counts. IT STILL COUNTS.

Fucking hell. I fully withdraw my point if it's made it to the supermarkets.

Sebastian Cobb

Supermarket though innit, unless they're going like a bombay bad boy where it just has heat and fuck all else, I'm willing to bet that'll be about as hot as a curry house madras.

That's not dick-waving really, I wouldn't want it, it's just I find supermarket curries a bit bland, both in taste and heat.

Ferris

Nah it's more "ooh phaal mention, I know a phaal fact" only to have it summarily OBLITERATED over the next half a page, with a morrisons instant curry being the coup de grace.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The Morrisons ones are full on restaurant/takeaway strength, I can confirm. They taste pretty good too. Definitely get a good sweat on. An added benefit is the big chili on top, which gives you heartburn for about an hour if you eat it.

This just sounds like I'm shilling for Morrisons food products now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 22, 2020, 07:18:31 PM
The Morrisons ones are full on restaurant/takeaway strength, I can confirm. They taste pretty good too. Definitely get a good sweat on. An added benefit is the big chili on top, which gives you heartburn for about an hour if you eat it.

This just sounds like I'm shilling for Morrisons food products now.

The hairy bikers madras recipe is good like that. 2 long red chillis chopped up fine (in the mini chopper 'cos I'm lazy) and then you dump two slit from head to toe in when you add the chicken.

It's a decent recipe, not as good as an actual takeaway one where you make a gravy and prepare the chicken, but it takes about 20 minutes including prep, so for taste:effort it comes out on top.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/f5/4a/d9f54a15a58b729de5b63269c6c86656.png

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on July 22, 2020, 06:03:20 PM
One thing I miss about Hull is the pattie.

Why would I want deep fried potato to go with my deep fried potato I hear you ask. Well this is deep fried mash potato. With sage! The sagest of all the herbs.

Should be chip spice surely?

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2020, 08:01:25 PM
The hairy bikers madras recipe is good like that. 2 long red chillis chopped up fine (in the mini chopper 'cos I'm lazy) and then you dump two slit from head to toe in when you add the chicken.

It's a decent recipe, not as good as an actual takeaway one where you make a gravy and prepare the chicken, but it takes about 20 minutes including prep, so for taste:effort it comes out on top.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/f5/4a/d9f54a15a58b729de5b63269c6c86656.png

I'm sure I've banged on about it before, but making a monster batch of BIR curry base sauce and freezing it means you can knock up a very good curry or a weeknight with minimal fucking about. 30 mins all in I'd say, maybe not even that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 09:08:39 PM
I'm sure I've banged on about it before, but making a monster batch of BIR curry base sauce and freezing it means you can knock up a very good curry or a weeknight with minimal fucking about. 30 mins all in I'd say, maybe not even that.

I'm aware, I've done the kris dillon stuff in the past. And I really should try it again given I've got labor saving devices like a food processor to chop everything up, a pressure cooker to cut the time down drastically and not require attentionand a chefs knife sharp enough to cut butter. But still, the HB one is so bloody easy from scratch.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2020, 09:14:28 PM
I'm aware, I've done the kris dillon stuff in the past. And I really should try it again given I've got labor saving devices like a food processor to chop everything up, a pressure cooker to cut the time down drastically and not require attentionand a chefs knife sharp enough to cut butter. But still, the HB one is so bloody easy from scratch.

*googles kris dillon*

Nice.