Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:11:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows 10

Started by Dex Sawash, July 18, 2020, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Is there a way to make W10 less stupid and work like legacy windows or do I just need to learn to use it? Will have a fleet of dead W7 machines at some point.
Hate the tiles and lack of "normal" menus.

Sebastian Cobb

I think my old man uses a third party shell to make it more like old windows.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Replies From View

What's classified as "old Windows" these days?  For me it would be Windows 3.0 or 3.11 for Workgroups.

All versions from Windows 95 to Windows 10 look basically the same to me and I don't know why they have bothered really updating them.

beanheadmcginty

You can switch it from the touch interface to a more normal desktop interface in the options somewhere. It doesn't seem that much different to Windows 7 to me. Nary a tile to be seen.

Blumf

The main desktop UI isn't that bad (not great, mind), you can minimise the amount of squares.

It's the obnoxious constant update pestering, and how slow they are to install, that's the problem.

The current MS Office UI, on the other hand, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Thankfully I use LibreOffice 99% of the time (and barely use that stuff anyway), except for Outlook, which is dire. Bring back the fucking menus!!

Sebastian Cobb

I left a Windows shop in 2017, for macs / google stuff, I've since changed jobs and use a linux machine but am slowly being forced back to microsoft corporate nastiness. It's better than it was, but office365 in a browser is still pretty shit.

I feel sorry for MS really, it's not as bad as the token haters make it out to be, and a lot of the problems are awful extras in corporate locked-down versions not even made by microsoft themselves.