Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Revisiting DayZ

Started by Kryton, July 18, 2020, 09:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Had an absolute blast on this last night now that I've got the core elements sorted. I got lost at one point and ended up at the biggest military base (it's been expanded a lot since I last played). It was an incredibly tense hour of looting, but I've got shitloads of stuff now, including camo netting which I think I might try and plonk on my shit tent to give me something to do.

This is what this game is all about - giving yourself goals.

I'm currently north of the airbase and I've had a look at heat-maps/collated data of player traffic on google- which means I'm in a fairly hot area. Discovered a few player stashes, but I've decided not be a cunt and I mostly just swap things I don't need with things I need. So I don't feel like I've truly robbed them. I've left food for bandages and ammo for ammo etc

I need a few more things before I'm truly self-sufficient. Mainly a cooking pot and perhaps a pickaxe. But other than that, I reckon I could survive for a bit in the wilds now that I've got a fair bit of ammo and military backpacks etc for more storage. I'm just umming and aah'ing about my tent base that I left in the woods -not sure if it's worth it. However it's in a fairly 'cold' area on the heat map - away from roads but within view of a  recognisable area, tucked into the woods. Not on a main route either.

However I've also found a rarely inspected building on the northern part of the map which grants me decent views of the area and isn't too far from the airbase, I could potentially hold that as a sniping position.

I reckon I can hunt wolves, chicken and deer for meat if I need to avoid towns and looters. I've got basic medication and three full bottles of water that can either be boiled or chlorinated or just refreshed in quiet towns from wells.

Brexit simulator.

Kryton

Oh and I wandered into a shed and found a player stash crate and was having a nosey but discovered a SOAKING wet pair of gloves, which made me panic as it must have just been placed in there very recently, so I ran off to an old barn and spied on the place, but nobody came back.

PlanktonSideburns

Kryton

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 13, 2020, 09:02:03 PM
DO SNIPING POSITION

I was thinking about this and just ignoring wandering back south. But I've only got iron sights rather than a scope. So I'll probably fuck it up.

Kryton

Just had my first shoot out in the far North West. Was exploring another military base that I thought was completely deserted when I saw movement. Sure enough it was come bastard with an SMG, we both saw each at the same time (I was inside a building, he was outside) - We both fired several rounds at each other, I think I must have hit him as he ran away for a moment, but sprayed the interior with bullets (missing me).

However the sound of gun-fire drew the wrath of the lurking zombies, some of them attacked him (judging by the sounds) - Some of them ran into the building with me. I ended up trapped in a room with four of the buggers trying to get in.

As I was trying to decide what to do, I was shot through an open window.

All progress lost. Fuck me.

Kryton

I've uninstalled this now. It's a brilliant game but one that demands energy and focus, it really is one of the best 'running through the desolate countryside to either see nobody or get shot and/or betrayed simulators'. The atmosphere is fantastic, but I've had my fill.

PlanktonSideburns

I enjoyed your regailing!

Kryton

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 14, 2020, 10:44:16 PM
I enjoyed your regailing!

Before I uninstalled I had the pleasure of running around playing a character who I thought was going to die of a cold, but didn't - Soaking wet he was and he then proceeded to get sick. Anyway he spent the rest of the game sneezing and coughing and he couldn't aim properly. Or sneak up on anyone.

So I thought bugger it.

Neomod

Ha ha. I started this yesterday on xbox and by god it's grim. I thought Dead Island had a depressing air to it but that's nothing compared to this.

Have died countless times due to not knowing what I am doing. Hunger, thirst, diseased, killed by zombies. The only thing that hasn't killed me yet is another player.

But.

It's very moreish and each time I return I last a little bit longer.