Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gen Z thinking derivative modern guff is the best music on offer

Started by The Mollusk, July 19, 2020, 12:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 19, 2020, 10:50:03 PM
Well jealous. Those first gfoty tunes really made me sit down and have a think5

>:( you're being rude

imitationleather

Not bad! While we're disclosing our PC Music affiliations and namedropping I may as well mention that at university I used to do a radio show with Gus from Kero Kero Bonito/Kane West, and we had A.G. Cook on as a guest a couple of times just as PC Music was being set up.

non capisco

Yeah well, Shakin' Stevens once held a door open for my nan.

evilcommiedictator

Liszt was totally just derivative, you can see Handel's influence all over his work

Twit 2

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 20, 2020, 02:11:52 AM
Liszt Wagner was totally just derivative, you can see Handel's Liszt's influence all over his work

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 19, 2020, 11:32:52 PM
>:( you're being rude

sorry, i didnt mean sarcasm by that comment, - i genuinley love the GFOTY stuff!

The Mollusk

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 20, 2020, 02:11:52 AM
Liszt was totally just derivative, you can see Handel's influence all over his work

Can we PLEASE not let this turn into another liszt thread

phantom_power

There is enough space in music for sonic exploration and well-done derivation. It depends whether you currently want to be challenged or comforted. I am not sure why you would always want you sonic boundaries pushed

The Mollusk

I don't know whether it's because the OP is too vague a discussion point or not but the majority of this thread has kind of missed the point I was trying to make

hummingofevil

Genuinely love how many attempts on here to discuss new music end up as another chat about PC music. I was lucky enough to see Sophie and Danny Harle (and Charli XCX if she counts - she does surely) at Primavera last year and they were all great.

I have no idea when most of this stuff was released but will happily stick on the YouTube playlist and have it on all day. Hannah Diamond is the one I consistently go back to but this week I'm liking easyFun.

---

And as for Talking Heads rip off bands. If you shagged a foetus into existence on the day Franz Ferdinand released Franz Ferdinand then that kid will be 15 now and ready to start the cycle again (though as someone who has spent the last 15 years working with teenagers it's likely, given the music tastes of most of them, that they either like the nu-dead soundcloud rappers or Fleetwood fucking Mac - it's great - I hate the music the kids are into - as it should be).

purlieu

Any more of that anti-Fleetwood Mac nonsense and you're out of my 'favourite Oscillations posters' list.

JaDanketies

I was supposed to see Billie Eilish today but COVID happened. :(

All music is derivative. The best you can hope for is that it combines two genres that haven't already be combined a million times before. Some of Billie Eilish reminds me of G-Funk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZsSWwc9xA  Like when post-black metal came out, I was like 'holy shit - post-rock and black metal?! genius combo' but now it's been done quite a lot.

And when I first heard her, I thought, "this sounds innovative," but now when I watch MTV they're hawking other musicians that sound loads like Billie Eilish. A bit like 'This new sound is successful, let's run it into the ground asap.' This is probably why I hated pop when I was younger - it all sounded incredibly similar. Anastasia - A Day in Your Life was like the epitome of boring music for me back then.

I 'discovered' this band The Regrettes yesterday on Twitter, because the lead singer alleges that she was sexually abused by some guy from some pop-punk dross band 'SWMRS'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsVSKYv-ses They're good to me, and they sound relatively new while still harking back to earlier music.

Fr.Bigley

Same thing with those 1975 cunts. you know, Tim Healy's ballbag by-product.

There's one track I heard in the car a few months back and i was like "I've not heard this Peter Gabriel track before"...I was being quite genuine. sickening, blatant bollocks.

hummingofevil

Quote from: purlieu on July 21, 2020, 10:57:12 AM
Any more of that anti-Fleetwood Mac nonsense and you're out of my 'favourite Oscillations posters' list.

Soz. I didn't mean it. I'd got them confused with Starship. :)

Poobum

I don't mind derivative if it means lots of throwbacks to 80s electro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9A6-yTOek&list=LLo32_Xg9COkMp3r-QYacLkw&index=2&t=0s  Very much Berlin - Take my Breath away. Still good I think.

purlieu

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 21, 2020, 02:10:44 PM
Same thing with those 1975 cunts. you know, Tim Healy's ballbag by-product.

There's one track I heard in the car a few months back and i was like "I've not heard this Peter Gabriel track before"...I was being quite genuine. sickening, blatant bollocks.
To be fair, they do seem to be willing to give just about any genre a try. I really like their last album. A lot of it is very much homaging '80s pop styles, but I just fucking love the songs.  And again, that's what it comes back to for me: write a really bloody good song and I'll enjoy it, regardless of whether the style is original or not.

Jockice

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 19, 2020, 04:02:40 PM
Yeah but some are far more than others. Listen to the Pottery song I linked, it's ridiculous and doesn't pass as something authentic and fresh enough to be acceptable in my opinion.

Jeez. There's copying and then there's copying. And that is definitely copying.

Chedney Honks

Hiya just popping in to say hello PC Music is total fuckin dogshit cheers

Sin Agog

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 21, 2020, 07:50:37 PM
Hiya just popping in to say hello PC Music is total fuckin dogshit cheers

Yeah, good old boys like Ted Nugent run rings around them liberal snowflakes with all their oh-so-important feelings.

tao of wub

Doesn't really matter does it?  As long as you don't have to listen to it blasted out on the bus over a shitty phone speaker..

Some people just want to listen to whatever they like.  Other people like nerding it up and getting into the music history of influences and who sampled what.  Just don't go boring the pants of each other over it I say!

I once tried to discuss the samples in something modern with a 20 something and they looked at me and said, "Why would I listen to OLD music".

Fair enough and the end of that conversation.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: purlieu on July 21, 2020, 07:30:18 PM
To be fair, they do seem to be willing to give just about any genre a try. I really like their last album. A lot of it is very much homaging '80s pop styles, but I just fucking love the songs.  And again, that's what it comes back to for me: write a really bloody good song and I'll enjoy it, regardless of whether the style is original or not.

Fine as it was, there's a sensibility in me that cant quite accept I'm a divorced old bastard at 30 odd. a bunch of grifters shagging my idol but not crediting him as an influence just rubbed me up the wrong way, you know?

lankyguy95

I probably agree that, to an extent, all music is derivative. But then it's probably more about how many things it's derivative of. If you're taking all your influence from one or two bands/artists then you're really limiting your scope. If you derive it off thirty or forty, and continue to be influenced by more and more, then you have a much better chance of creating something great and unique. Nobody has the same thirty or forty favourite bands and even if they did, people like and connect with different parts of the same bands anyway.

Also on the Talking Heads thing, there's a song on the new Pearl Jam album that is very Talking Heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6mIGfyvXM

idunnosomename

a little bit of minton in my life
a little bit of ahh ahh ahh ahhh
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReeeee

nirg nirg nirg OOOOOOOOOOHHHH

ka ka ka ka shh shh

eeeeeEEEEEEkk

KEEE KEE KEE kee KEEE

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGEEEARAROGUGHHHHHH

a little bit of you makes me your man.

SteveDave

Quote from: non capisco on July 19, 2020, 11:55:57 PM
Yeah well, Shakin' Stevens once held a door open for my nan.

Shakin' Stevens is my friends second cousin and I bought a guitar off a former member of one of his backing bands.

spaghetamine

Quote from: tao of wub on July 21, 2020, 08:59:58 PM
I once tried to discuss the samples in something modern with a 20 something and they looked at me and said, "Why would I listen to OLD music".

This is fucking baffling to me as a 20 something. You have access to basically to all the music ever, surely at the very least you would be curious? A friend of mine is a secondary school teacher and will occasionally play music for her pupils and she says the kids react in the same way if she plays something that came out more than three months ago. "Ugh miss turn it off! That's old."

Cuellar

I'm sure all the stuff you think the Gen Z bands are ripping off are themselves ripoffs of something else that you didn't listen to when you were young.

imitationleather

Quote from: Cuellar on July 22, 2020, 11:21:09 AM
I'm sure all the stuff you think the Gen Z bands are ripping off are themselves ripoffs of something else that you didn't listen to when you were young.

Unless you're having the gall to suggest that The Coral are derivative you better think again, buddy.

Sin Agog

Quote from: spaghetamine on July 22, 2020, 11:18:44 AM
This is fucking baffling to me as a 20 something. You have access to basically to all the music ever, surely at the very least you would be curious? A friend of mine is a secondary school teacher and will occasionally play music for her pupils and she says the kids react in the same way if she plays something that came out more than three months ago. "Ugh miss turn it off! That's old."

There are those types, but there seem to be just as many kids who go on angry rants about how music stopped being good after the '70s when that pesky keyboard took over.  They may grow out of that opinion, which is probably an echo of their dad's favourite rant, but they remind me of those creepy besuited young conservatives with tiny necks and giant Adam's apples the BBC wheel out every election day.

The Mollusk

Quote from: imitationleather on July 22, 2020, 11:25:02 AM
Unless you're having the gall to suggest that The Coral are derivative you better think again, buddy.

Don't Think You're The First to bring this up.

Goldentony

with yer man there re PC Music being dogshit, YBA Goldsmith's toss, good god

re this stuff though - it's for Psych rock dads. It's new but it's also the old stuff at the exact same time. It's the perfect paradox. It's on the radio and it's new BUT get this it's like the old stuff you might like and so you're keeping up with the new psych rock scene, the bands, the indie, the GARAGE