Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gen Z thinking derivative modern guff is the best music on offer

Started by The Mollusk, July 19, 2020, 12:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Goldentony on July 22, 2020, 04:30:26 PM
with yer man there re PC Music being dogshit, YBA Goldsmith's toss, good god

Actually I think you'll find Goldsmiths is the best university on earth.

peanutbutter

PC Music definitely reeks a bit of a bunch of pretty well off people doing very little other than ripping off stuff that was considered trash but now isn't cos the packaging is full of knowing winks.

Plus, like, outside of AG Cook being a legitimately good producer (although arguably being a bit aimless until Charli XCX collaborated with him), and Hannah Diamond having a few good songs, has the label done anything of note? Sophie emerged independently as far as I'm aware even though they were collaborating pretty early on.

Was always pretty baffled by GFOTY being a thing but the amount of people I know who have mentioned knowing her I guess she's just a ridiculously good networker. More charismatic in person? Just really well connected due to family ties?

PlanktonSideburns

The Mollusk

GFOTY was a friend of a friend of mine so I met her through natural course of things but she's deffo very good at social media networking and getting her brand out there. Her boyfriend is into very similar stuff and they've been sorta power-coupling a load of daft arsed content throughout lockdown. I will be honest and say it's not really for me, but they are both extremely lovely people and great fun to hang out with.

Networking of that kind is a big part of the whole future pop thing. My old housemate (mentioned in my previous post) is Count Baldor, he's just been chucking his stuff all over the place and it's worked. He's living exclusively off the money he makes producing for acts like Zebra Katz, Alice Longyu Gao and 100 gecs. Fair play though really, again not everything he's done is to my own personal taste but he's a fucking great producer and he works hard.

spaghetamine

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 22, 2020, 11:04:52 PM
Networking of that kind is a big part of the whole future pop thing. My old housemate (mentioned in my previous post) is Count Baldor, he's just been chucking his stuff all over the place and it's worked. He's living exclusively off the money he makes producing for acts like Zebra Katz, Alice Longyu Gao and 100 gecs. Fair play though really, again not everything he's done is to my own personal taste but he's a fucking great producer and he works hard.

Massively preferred the stuff he was doing under the name Daddy Long Legs (his collab with Tich, City Guys, is ace also) but - as you said - fair play to the lad!

PaulTMA

Watched about 30 seconds of a 100 gecs video.  Everything simply has "notes app apology" written all over it