Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hey Buddy! Might Want to Put That Out!

Started by Blumf, July 19, 2020, 10:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

$1.5 billion US Navy aircraft carrier was on fire for 4 days!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53450469
QuoteThe US Navy has launched an investigation into a massive blaze aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard that took four days to put out.

The fire aboard the US aircraft carrier on 12 July in San Diego, where the Bonhomme is docked, injured at least 40 sailors and 23 civilians.

It is not yet known whether the amphibious assault ship can survive the damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bonhomme_Richard_(LHD-6)#July_2020_fire

Bonus points!!

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/military/story/2020-07-17/sailors-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-sharing-firefighting-gear-at-scene-of-san-diego-navy-ship-fire
QuoteAt least two sailors from the amphibious transport dock USS San Diego tested positive for COVID-19 after fighting the fire onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard, the Navy said Friday.

At least 27 people who were in contact with them are quarantined.
One USS San Diego sailor who helped fight the fire told the Union-Tribune Friday that the scene outside the Bonhomme Richard during the height of the conflagration was "chaotic" and responding sailors routinely swapped and shared fire fighting equipment, such as masks and gloves.

Well that's just peachy!

PlanktonSideburns

The fucking futility of that tiny tugboa squirting a tiny litte bit of water that misses the fire is hilarious

PlanktonSideburns

One of the jets of water isn't even going the right way

Dex Sawash

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 19, 2020, 10:54:53 PM
The fucking futility of that tiny tugboa squirting a tiny litte bit of water that misses the fire is hilarious

That's celebratory spraying. Navy probably has unpaid tugging fees.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 19, 2020, 11:01:28 PM
That's celebratory spraying. Navy probably has unpaid tugging fees.

Them and me both sugar

PlanktonSideburns

Also, second picture:it looks fine, what's the problem? Just scrape the black bits off and she'll be out bombing brown folk for oil in no time

Buelligan

pancreas

Twit 2 takes his tea light show on tour.

H-O-W-L

Fire on a boat is the scariest fucking shit. You'd think it's OK because there's water all around but it really is horrific.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on July 19, 2020, 11:26:21 PM
Jet fuel cannot melt steel beams.

Boxes full of old rags however[nb]Apparently, that what was being stored in WTC 7, Strategic oily rag reserve.[/nb]

Buelligan

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 20, 2020, 12:44:08 AM
Fire on a boat is the scariest fucking shit. You'd think it's OK because there's water all around but it really is horrific.

I think it's OK because I'm here, just watching.  I don't even feel slightly scared if I'm honest. 

Chedney Honks

Reminds me of going camping and cooking a tin of sardines over a trangia. After lunch we burned down an aircraft carrier.

Reminds me of this bible bashing prick who lurched out of the bay horse saying "If you're gonna skin up, piss off"
I can understand, if a bunch of kids are rolling a joint on a picnic table, you'd assume them charver scum, but we were gentle hippies, I'm almost sure of it, pie eyed, but just sitting nice, waiting for the bus to send our friend home.

We rolled our joint, smoked it in peace, drank our pints, and on the way to the bus stop (which was right next to the pub) out he came with his two mates.

They all jumped on me because I was the tallest (and I might have said "howay then!"), Dinsey jumped in, good lad, a good instant moraliser, soaking up the brunt.
I ended up with my shirt pocket ripped and a well punched head, but we sent Blakey away home in one piece. I held it together, heckled by the "fucky basta" kid on my way home "Why your shirt ripped?" and my mam gave me a big hug and I let my tears out on her shoulder.
Had two more of the same black shirts in my cupboard at home. Just threw on the next one, ain't no thang.

Dinsey ate a load of mushies and hash one night and the god squad emptied out of a car into a graveyard after him, but he slipped through the bushes and escaped.

Might spice this up a bit and remove the crying when I tell it to my nephew.

Bernice

It's nice to think that in the hypermasculine milieu of the US military, with its General Dick Flatteners and Operation Heavy Loads, there space for an effete little battleship called Bonhomme Richard.

Fr.Bigley

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Bernice on July 20, 2020, 01:46:58 PM
It's nice to think that in the hypermasculine milieu of the US military, with its General Dick Flatteners and Operation Heavy Loads, there space for an effete little battleship called Bonhomme Richard.
Apparently it's named after a book Benjamin Franklin published in France, known in English as Poor Richard's Almanack (via various other boats of the same name). Which makes me wonder why the Royal Navy doesn't have a vessel called the Guinness Book of Records.

Buelligan

Thank you for this, Bernice, it made me feel happy.

This is real

USS Ponce

buzby

Firstly, it's not an aircraft carrier (CV), it's an Wasp-class LHD (Landing Helicopter Dock) amphibious assault vessel. It embarks helicopters and can host USMC Harriers (it was undergoing a refit at General Dynamic's shipyard in San Diego so that it could handle the Marines' F-35Bs). The 'Dock' is it's interior well deck in the lower hull that carries two LCU landing craft or three LCAC hovercraft, accessed via a large door in the stern and a ballast system so it can lower itself into the water to allow them to get in and out.

During the refit the well deck and lower vehicle storage area (highlighed in the diagram above) was being used as a storage area for construction materials and waste and it's been reported that was where the fire started.

Quote from: Buelligan on July 19, 2020, 11:26:21 PM
Jet fuel cannot melt steel beams.
It had a million gallons of fuel oil and JP-5 jet fuel stored in its bunkers near the keel. They were lucky that the fire was a couple of decks above it. A lot of the firefighting effort was spent trying to keep the lower hull cool so that the fuel didn't start to vapourise while they were fighting the fires in the decks above. (this is what the tug is doing with it's fire monitor in the first pitcure - spraying the hull). The bridge/air ops tower superstructure on the Wasp-class LHDs is aluminium, so although the steel hull should have survived relatively intact, that will have melted (as can be seen with what's happened to the foremast in the second picture).

After seeing pictures of the interior after the fire it's likely going to be scrapped, unless the USN's hubris means they want to spunk a load of money completely rebuilding the upper decks and superstructure and all the wiring and plumbing. They have a couple of the preceding Tarawa-class LHA assault vessels (similar in design , but with a smaller well deck) in reserve, one of which was only laid up in 2015, so they might bring one of those out of retirement.

Buelligan

I knew it was a WASP.  I'm not even lying.

The irrefutably masculine USS Wasp pounding some ass