Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rip-off merchants and revenge

Started by Jockice, July 20, 2020, 02:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

My massive fan club on here may remember that a year and a half ago I mentioned in a post that my good deed for that day was lending some cash to a driver who claimed to be out of fuel at an M1 service station. I had a feeling I might have been ripped off and it turned out that I had. One born every minute etc. My own fault totally.

Anyway, on Saturday I was sitting in my car with the door open at the next services down and someone approached me. It took me about two seconds to realise it was the same bloke. So I played along, listened to his tale of woe and then told him that unfortunately I didn't have any money on me but wished him all the best. I was lying on both counts.

I waited until he returned to his own vehicle, went round the front of it and at a safe distance noted down his registration number (he has a different vehicle from last time. An almost brand new one. Crime obviously pays) and took a photo of him speaking to what appeared to be another potential victim. Then I posted it on Facebook and Twitter and got in touch with the police. The following day at around the same time I pulled into the northbound version of the same services and just as I parked up I saw him pulling out onto the motorway. About a minute later a police van pulled up so I went over and explained what had happened. The copper thanked me and said they'd get him.

Since getting back home I have contacted every relevant authority with his photograph and details and have even been retweeted by the Twitter site for every motorway services in Britain. Here, take a look. You can even have my real name for free. https://twitter.com/mwayservicesgb

I'm feeling pretty good about all this today. I've been ripped off several times during my life (and I may look like an easy target, but I'm usually not the naive type. Happens to most people I suspect) and although they may not catch him immediately his card has been marked. It was probably worth 40 quid after all. I'm just disappointed he didn't recognise me the second time. And there was me thinking I was unique. Huh!

Anyone else got tales of being conned and getting their own back? I'd love to hear them.

Fr.Bigley

Fucking dirty grass.

In all seriousness though mate, well done, these arseholes are relentless.

Jockice

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 20, 2020, 02:27:27 PM
Fucking dirty grass.

In all seriousness though mate, well done, these arseholes are relentless.

I handwash my grass every day I'll have you know.  One of the funniest things about it is that a mate of mine has made a couple of sarky comments about it on Facebook. But I remember him telling the story in his 20s of how he visited a sleazy bar in London that suddenly started charging 50 quid for a glass of wine. And another 50 quid for the woman he was speaking to's glass of wine. I wonder if his wife knows about that one...

Flouncer

Now if you can just find a way to sort that bastard Hugh Cornwell out you'll have truly come out on top in life.

Fr.Bigley

Most likely not, we all love a bit of financial based hypocrisy but cant acknowledge the moral one. You should grass on him.

Jockice

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 20, 2020, 02:36:01 PM
Most likely not, we all love a bit of financial based hypocrisy but cant acknowledge the moral one. You should grass on him.

Admittedly it was a long time before he was married and he was going through a long period of singledom at that point. But still..

Jockice

Quote from: Flouncer on July 20, 2020, 02:34:55 PM
Now if you can just find a way to sort that bastard Hugh Cornwell out you'll have truly come out on top in life.

I'm biding my time. These things take more than five minutes you know.

See what I did there? Eh?

NoSleep

Came across somebody doing this in Charing Cross Station many years back. Used the word "genuine" several times, as I recall, explaining how it would really help him get back home on the train as he had "lost his wallet" (or similar). So I gave him a fiver, which was worth a bit more than it does nowadays.

A couple of years later the same guy came up to me in Charing Cross Station with the same story. There were no iPhones or such back then and was probably in a hurry to get my train so I just told him I knew his game and to fuck off.

Famous Mortimer

A couple of years ago, there was a bloke who would drive round the parking lot of my local Quik Trip (www.quiktrip.com, fill up as large a receptacle of coffee as you can carry for under $2) asking people for petrol to get to Kansas City. I didn't give him anything because I was broke, but I saw him again a week later. I asked him if he'd made it to Kansas City and this was for the return trip; also, I suggested that if he was begging for petrol money, it might not be the smartest idea to drive round in circles burning the stuff up.

The idea of punching my fucking lights out wandered across his face, then he just drove off and never asked me again (he kept doing it for a while).

Jockice

You'd think they'd at least keep a list of their previous victims. Shoddy filing system obviously.

(There's a bloke in Sheffield city centre who has told me several times that not only is he homeless but it's his birthday. No matter what time of the year it is. If I have any spare change I will usually give him some though. I have rather more sympathy for him than I do for someone with a 25 grand van.)

Flouncer

Quote from: Jockice on July 20, 2020, 02:39:31 PMSee what I did there? Eh?

You need to (get a) grip (on yourself) mate.

madhair60

Just received word that Pat has killed himself.

Sebastian Cobb

Throughout the 12 years I lived in Aberdeen I encountered a bloke begging for cash to get the bus to see his duffed-up missus in the hospital numerous times. He was a known face, never changed his blag.

I actually saw a newspaper article recently, he was hospitalised after falling off a bridge and breaking his leg.

Once, me and my uncle were looking to buy a couple of droids to help out on our moisture farm. Fucking travelling Jawa's try to push this faulty R5 unit on us. Just exploded on us there and then. My uncle went apeshit and we got a proper decent R2 unit out of them for the same price.

Anyway, the next day I found them all shot dead and their transporter burnt out. Serves the pint-sized wankers right. I'm not saying I would have killed them myself, but I definitely got a bit of a stiffy throwing their little bodies onto a makeshift pyre.

Fr.Bigley

Should have gone to Anne droid on the forest moon of Endor mate, shes been flogging R2 units at cost for light years. Nice tits too.

Jockice

Quote from: madhair60 on July 20, 2020, 03:30:33 PM
Just received word that Pat has killed himself.

Oh no. I'm going to have to go to a few service stations myself to raise money for his funeral now.

Mr_Simnock

I for one am looking forward to the next series of netflix unsolved mysteries about the bizarre death of a certain mr
Spoiler alert
quinn
[close]
at the welcome break newport pagnell service station, 'He was found dead tied to the kids train ride with 'here's your fiver' painted on his chest'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 20, 2020, 03:33:14 PM
Once, me and my uncle were looking to buy a couple of droids to help out on our moisture farm. Fucking travelling Jawa's try to push this faulty R5 unit on us. Just exploded on us there and then. My uncle went apeshit and we got a proper decent R2 unit out of them for the same price.

Anyway, the next day I found them all shot dead and their transporter burnt out. Serves the pint-sized wankers right. I'm not saying I would have killed them myself, but I definitely got a bit of a stiffy throwing their little bodies onto a makeshift pyre.

Never buy robots off of Czechoslovakian motocycles, fucksake.

Small Man Big Horse

I can't believe I fell for popular CaB poster Jockice claiming he was in his fifties as from the photo where he's wearing sunglasses he's clearly about 20 at best.

shiftwork2

There was a dude outside Manchester Piccadilly in the 90s who also celebrated a birthday every day.  Instead of that being enough for him he also wanted some spondoolies.  Cheeky cunt.

Inspector Norse

There was a Canadian guy in Madrid when I lived there who used to go round saying he'd been pickpocketed on his holiday and needed cash for an emergency passport. Seemed to happen to him on a weekly basis, poor fella.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 20, 2020, 04:18:16 PM
I can't believe I fell for popular CaB poster Jockice claiming he was in his fifties as from the photo where he's wearing sunglasses he's clearly about 20 at best.

Appearances can be deceptive. In my case incredibly so. I'd totally forgotten that I'd actually posted photos of my actual face on there, even though the sunglasses  one - to Ash Sarkar, who I don't even know - was only about six weeks ago. That's six weeks further away from my 55th birthday in September than I am at the moment,

Pat will be on the hunt for me.  And if he can't get me personally, it'll all be over for my legendary **********, my cat, my stepdog, my BPFF's two daughters, the broken disabled bog in the Hallamshire House or a badly-parked car outside my local Tesco. Better warn them all.

ollyboro

Snitches get stitches. From running away on a full stomach, I'd imagine.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Jockice on July 20, 2020, 02:21:35 PM
Since getting back home I have contacted every relevant authority with his photograph and details and have even been retweeted by the Twitter site for every motorway services in Britain. Here, take a look. You can even have my real name for free. https://twitter.com/mwayservicesgb

Lol, you signed a petition on the Labour Party website, now you're going to get email from them for ever.

Jockice

They're not getting any more money from me though. That'll be a bit of a surprise for them.

timebug

We used to have a young guy who lived somewhere relatively 'local' to us; he had Cerebral Palsy and he first stopped me with some long winded tale about losing his train fare and he needed 'just three quid' to make it up.I genuinely had no dosh on me, but doubt I would have given it to him if I had. A week later, same street, same time, same bloke, same story.
I laughed in his face and pointed out that he seemed to be remarkably unlucky as regarded his train fares, as the same thing had happened to him a week earlier. He immediately turned nasty, and snarled at me to 'Fuck off' or something equally pithy. I just laughed again and moved along.
Bugger me, if two days later, I encountered him again, same place, same sort of time of day; he opened his mouth to start his spiel, sort of did a double take at me, and passed along without a word. Not seen him for ages now, he maybe raised the train fare to wherever he was going?

Marner and Me

We used to have some smackheads that would need to borrow 50p for a train fare on the promise if you gave them your phone number, they'd give you a call and repay you with £20. As a young 15 year old who was alot less fearless than I am now and a lot fitter they were told to get fucked.

chveik

obviously the guy must be a cunt but calling the cops for that is a bit weird.

Icehaven

Things like this are obviously reprehensible and incredibly annoying (although I'm stunned any of you gave them money, you're much nicer people than me), but is it actually illegal? It might count as some kind of fraud I suppose but I'd have thought having some sob story might be so they can't be done for begging. Be interesting to see if the Fuzz really do pursue it with any great effort though.

greenman

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 20, 2020, 03:33:14 PM

Then you got him to find that the Troopers you grassed them up to had seen your princess Leia posters and gone trigger happy.

I would say a bit of a difference to begging for a few pounds via sob story and the story in the OP that's likely someone making a career out of pulling that scam for large amounts of money.