Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Q Magazine RIP

Started by pigamus, July 20, 2020, 03:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Captain Z

Bit of sellotape should sort it.

daf

I honestly thought this had packed up around 2003!

(what on earth have they been filling the mag with for the last 15 years? 95% deluxe box-set reviews & 5% Kipper Williams cartoons?)

madhair60

At last, some good news out of the pandemic

Fr.Bigley

Not the best tribute to the legacy of Desmond Llewelyn to be honest.

BlodwynPig

Toe-tapping centrism before classic beige centrism was "an acknowledged thing"

PaulTMA

I gave up on it during the Paul Rees years, but I remember buying a few when Andrew Harrison was editing and it seemed to have improved.  Had checked it out on Readly since Ted Kessler took over and it looked like it had returned to being in a good place content-wise, elements from the glory days being brought back and all that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: daf on July 20, 2020, 03:16:32 PM
(what on earth have they been filling the mag with for the last 15 years? 95% deluxe box-set reviews & 5% Kipper Williams cartoons?)

If it's anything like Empire(*), it'll be a flimsy pamphlet at least 50% filled with advert pages, yours for only £5 an issue.

(* - I'm amazed Empire is still going)

The Mollusk

Damn looks like I'm gonna have to come here for all my Beatles eulogising needs now

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 20, 2020, 03:42:20 PM
Damn looks like I'm gonna have to come here for all my Beatles eulogising needs now

Get Out*

*Back

ProvanFan

All part of Trump's master plan. Time is running out for the satanic paedo elites.

daf

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 20, 2020, 04:00:14 PM
satanic paedo elites

Didn't they record a couple of sessions for John Peel back in 1983? *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (© Trad. Arr. Gags Ltd)

jobotic

Not a word from Starmer.

Ignatius_S

The publishers, Bauer Media, said Q was one of the titles that is was closing or selling off, a while ago: https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/bauer-reveals-plans-to-close-merge-or-sell-ten-magazines-q-planet-rock-simply-you/

Bauer has been getting rid of a lot of titles round the world - recently, the company got rid of its entire portfolio in Australia, including the ones with increased circulation and that's happened elsewhere. Over here, Practical Photography (one of the ones being closed) had a circulation of about 25K, two or three years ago but 33K now.

Head Gardener

still got issue #1 must be worth a fiver at least now!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 20, 2020, 03:46:57 PM
Mojo next?

Mojo has roughly double of the circulation of Q and in the last few years, IIRC,  that circulation has been stable, whilst Q's was falling.

However, ultimately, it comes down to advertising revenue.

Head Gardener

they published some of my shit gig pics once

wosl

If only that sideline in logo-emblazoned 'Q file' perspex storage box thingies had taken off.

wosl

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 20, 2020, 03:42:20 PM

Not necessarily (although I think the Floydoids may be gaining the upper hand, over there).

Gulftastic

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 20, 2020, 04:26:43 PM

Mojo has roughly double of the circulation of Q and in the last few years, IIRC,  that circulation has been stable, whilst Q's was falling.

However, ultimately, it comes down to advertising revenue.

For years, I got my bro-in-law a subscription to Mojo as his Xmas present. He asked me to cancel it this year. As he said, there are only so many articles about Beatles, Beach Boys and Bowie you can read.

Pauline Walnuts

From Wikipedia:

In 2005, after winning the Q Legend award at the Q Awards, New Order bassist Peter Hook called the magazine "two-faced cunts who give us bad reviews"

wosl

That should be changed to read "New Order's bassist at the time", purely to goad Hook.

Doomy Dwyer

I wish I still had my copy from the nineties which featured an in-depth multi-page interview with Billy Idol. As well as being a fantastically informative chat with the great man it was lavishly illustrated with pictures spanning his entire career – from the early Bromley Contingent/Gen X years to the (then current) LA celebrity biker gang/supermodel banging drug maniac years. In every single shot Billy was pulling his trademark whiplash smile and brandishing his leather clad fist in a rebellious way. But the best thing about it was that my mate had drawn cocks over every single reproduction of Billy's face in Bic biro. There must have been about thirty of them. He's a very talented artist but these were rudimentary school text book level efforts, at best, but somehow all the more effective for that. Far from undermining the Legend-that-is-Idol, they only seemed to enhance his pop-punk mystique. You can't really take the piss out of Sir Billiam. I know he'd have approved. In fact, he'd probably have added a couple of hairs to the odd bollock himself, or done some spunk.

Apart from that one moment of unintentional brilliance, Q was shite.

sevendaughters

I thought it was good up to about the cover with Tori Amos' gold tits. 'Who The Hell' column was always good as was the fans' Q&As. good gateway to music for me I guess.

crankshaft

I can't help but feel that, in an age where you can listen to any new music in seconds for free, print music journalism is only ever going to be a minority concern. 150 word reviews of albums aren't going to cut it, and neither are endless multi-page features on heritage artists. It feels like the bubble has burst. I'm not happy there's more unemployed people in the world, but Q has had its time.

pigamus

I was more disappointed when Word magazine went tbh.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 20, 2020, 04:26:36 PM
still got issue #1 must be worth a fiver at least now!

If you sell it you'll have just enough to buy the final issue.  Who said old magazines aren't worth the paper they're printed on!!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 20, 2020, 05:50:43 PM
I thought it was good up to about the cover with Tori Amos' gold tits. 'Who The Hell' column was always good as was the fans' Q&As. good gateway to music for me I guess.

I wasn't aware of that cover but a quick search found it:

I think you're being a bit mean though, as it's not exactly her fault that her breasts are made out of gold.