Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Q Magazine RIP

Started by pigamus, July 20, 2020, 03:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

They definitely gave Morning Glory and The Stone Roses 3 stars each upon release.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ollyboro on July 29, 2020, 11:41:57 AM

By the way, I'd bet my testicles that Q gave What's The Story....a three star review upon its release.

Gambling With One's Genitals  - Oliver Boro
(Cab Records)

★★★

Not for everyone.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 29, 2020, 11:37:46 AM
Andrew Collins made the mistake of thinking his voice was fit for podcasting. When it really, really isn't

Had a brief Twitter exchange with him years ago, and he ended his reply to me with "OK mum". I'm not your mum Andrew!
He's insulted me (and presumably others) on here before. Boring fucking hack.

grainger

Quote from: ollyboro on July 29, 2020, 11:41:57 AM
Yes, the Q sleevenotes were all about albums from the past. A bit of research tells me the first 4 came free with the May 1991 issue. The featured albums were: Tunnel Of Love, Revolver, Blonde On Blonde and Brothers In Arms. The next issue also contained four more;  dunno which albums were reviewed. The next two appeared  in August 1992 and were concerned with a Bowie album (Ziggy, I would assume) and The Stone Roses. There doesn't appear to be any more after that.

By the way, I'd bet my testicles that Q gave What's The Story....a three star review upon its release.

I think they did ones for REM's Green and Paul Simon's Graceland.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 10, 2020, 03:13:41 PM
Paul Heaton personally donated a 'large sum' for staff at the magazine.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/10/paul-heaton-thanked-by-q-magazine-staff-for-selfless-donation-beautiful-south

Just watched the little video PH made, looks like he's off the booze. Bit weird filling his daughter's bedroom with his old diaries and football trophies...

daf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 10, 2020, 03:13:41 PM
Paul Heaton personally donated a 'large sum' for staff at the magazine.

Greta is exchanging money from US ($) to GBP (£).
The bank only offers bank notes (£10, £20 or £50) with no change available.
If Greta has $357, what is the maximum amount of GBP she can get?
Use the exchange rate $1 = £0.8.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 12, 2020, 10:44:31 AM
Just watched the little video PH made, looks like he's off the booze. Bit weird filling his daughter's bedroom with his old diaries and football trophies...

He's been sensibly drinking for years. He cycles to his gigs on tour too. I never saw that coming thirty years ago. Heaton was a massive caner so I pictured him going down the John Martyn route but he looks really good now.  It was when he remarried and went solo. His new wife said he had to shape up to sell himself again.

Phil_A

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 29, 2020, 02:32:35 PM
He's insulted me (and presumably others) on here before. Boring fucking hack.

I remember Collins really going off on one defending alternative medicine on twitter some years back. I completely unaware of his current activities so I'm not sure if he's still does this but at the time I felt he'd outed himself as a proper arsehole.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 12, 2020, 11:28:00 AM
He's been sensibly drinking for years. He cycles to his gigs on tour too. I never saw that coming thirty years ago. Heaton was a massive caner so I pictured him going down the John Martyn route but he looks really good now.  It was when he remarried and went solo. His new wife said he had to shape up to sell himself again.
I used to see him round Didsbury 12/14 years ago, as he was living with a woman from round here. Not sure if that's the lass he married that you're referring to - it was around the same time he took over the King's Arms in Salford.

Mentioned earlier in this thread that the first issue of Q I bought had Heaton on the cover, and I wound up a fan off the back of that, so perhaps part of this cash he's given to their old staff comes from the various Housemartins/Beautiful South CDs I bought 20 odd years ago.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 12, 2020, 01:25:27 PM
I used to see him round Didsbury 12/14 years ago, as he was living with a woman from round here. Not sure if that's the lass he married that you're referring to - it was around the same time he took over the King's Arms in Salford.

No, that would have been Zena you saw. She is a comedy promoter who runs the Camden Fringe and Manchester Comedy Festival. They had a daughter together but sadly broke up some years ago. Heaton later remarried. I shouldn't have said 'new wife'. His 'wife'.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Phil_A on October 12, 2020, 01:19:54 PM
I remember Collins really going off on one defending alternative medicine on twitter some years back. I completely unaware of his current activities so I'm not sure if he's still does this but at the time I felt he'd outed himself as a proper arsehole.
I probably ought to say that I insulted him quite a lot too. It's not like he just turned up here and went "Mort, you're a fuckwit".