Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any cunt going on holiday?

Started by poo, July 20, 2020, 05:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordofthefiles

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 21, 2020, 12:13:09 PM
Did have a week booked in Morocco but had to cancel obv, so off to see relatives in Luton instead

Now +++ CANCELLED +++ due to Luton spike

Just can't catch a break!

Buelligan

Quote from: Cloud on July 26, 2020, 05:42:23 PM
I guess these are mostly people who think it's "just the flu" or only kills off old people or whatever, but I honestly can't imagine feeling at all safe enough on a holiday to enjoy it.  They're meant to be relaxing but I'd probably come back more stressed from trying to stay away from everyone.

Plus possibly bringing it to or bringing it back to, lots of old and vulnerable people who didn't get a fucking holiday either.  Mind you, I suppose if they die it's no great loss.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI think it was quite clear this could happen, and the government didn't hide this fact. Anyone making a rational assessment must have surely considered this

I think so too but in practise people look at travelling in a 'is it allowed, Y/N?' and go from there. Reckless press reporting and irresponsible statements from some airlines won't have helped. The rug pull from underneath tourists is a little harsh but it has been decisive for once. I did a lot of prelim research and even checked the day before with the state border police before travelling.

I decided to go to Germany on account of the fact they are organised, have dealt with it well, numbers were really really low and British and Americans wouldn't be there.

Got a few days left of holiday to see through so fingers crossed no quarantine requirement will be introduced but we can both work from home and see through that if necessary. Looks like we timed it well though.

Mask wearing, sanitising and careful behaviour in toilets has been routine, as has track and trace info. We have tried to avoid any busy public transport and queues, the worst was probably a queue for a boat trip which in hindsight I would not have done if I'd known the return leg would be, as it was, quite crowded.. Everyone is outside so indoors of restaurants and pubs are near deserted. Just the ritual of mask, hand washing and vigilance to get used to. Weather has been absolutely belting.

Going to Lockdown For Britain when I get back for quite a while anyway, get some credit back in the bank (literal and metaphorical).

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2020, 06:04:38 PMMask wearing, sanitising and careful behaviour in toilets has been routine

I bet it has, you dirty old, etc.

imitationleather

I thought we'd sorted our holiday getaway but it turned out no one had got around to booking it and virtually everywhere in the country is now full.

Spending an August weekend in an east Yorkshire static caravan now. I hope none of the families on site take a dislike to us and decide we're a group of roaming middle aged paedophiles. Pretty sure if the caravan gets torched we're liable!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 27, 2020, 09:52:46 AM
I spent a lot of time at work trying to get my staff on board with the idea that things are absolutely not back to normal and that any holiday they book is at their own risk. Making it very clear that the company isn't liable for any loss of earnings and that unauthorised absence due to quarantine would not be paid and may lead to disciplinary action.

I hope they're in a union. Disciplinary action for not breaking quarantine? Fuck off you boss cunt.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 29, 2020, 01:02:49 PM
I hope they're in a union. Disciplinary action for not breaking quarantine? Fuck off you boss cunt.

The Shamen's first draft deemed "too edgy".

We'd only ever use the disciplinary route if someone knowingly travelled to a destination that's already got a quarantine in place and hasn't also covered the quarantine period with authorised leave.

We obviously wouldn't if someone had to quarantine because the rules changed whilst they were away.

poo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2020, 06:04:38 PM
I think so too but in practise people look at travelling in a 'is it allowed, Y/N?' and go from there. Reckless press reporting and irresponsible statements from some airlines won't have helped. The rug pull from underneath tourists is a little harsh but it has been decisive for once. I did a lot of prelim research and even checked the day before with the state border police before travelling.

I decided to go to Germany on account of the fact they are organised, have dealt with it well, numbers were really really low and British and Americans wouldn't be there.

Got a few days left of holiday to see through so fingers crossed no quarantine requirement will be introduced but we can both work from home and see through that if necessary. Looks like we timed it well though.

Mask wearing, sanitising and careful behaviour in toilets has been routine, as has track and trace info. We have tried to avoid any busy public transport and queues, the worst was probably a queue for a boat trip which in hindsight I would not have done if I'd known the return leg would be, as it was, quite crowded.. Everyone is outside so indoors of restaurants and pubs are near deserted. Just the ritual of mask, hand washing and vigilance to get used to. Weather has been absolutely belting.

Going to Lockdown For Britain when I get back for quite a while anyway, get some credit back in the bank (literal and metaphorical).

Cunt

mr. logic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 29, 2020, 02:27:20 PM
The Shamen's first draft deemed "too edgy".

We'd only ever use the disciplinary route if someone knowingly travelled to a destination that's already got a quarantine in place and hasn't also covered the quarantine period with authorised leave.

We obviously wouldn't if someone had to quarantine because the rules changed whilst they were away.

'We.' Like the 'company' gives a shit about you

Braintree

I am having an ongoing debate with whether a holiday is a right at the best of times, let alone now. I think growing up poor where holidays were rare and caused my mum to go into debt when she paid for them (the first time my nan paid for us to join her and my aunt) has made me quite laidback if we don't go away let alone go abroad.

I think the thinking that a holiday is a must, a break from work is a must yes, but does it need to be abroad? I am not sure I am comfortable with this idea that lockdown is over and the virus has gone so lets carry on as before. The government fucked up its guidance on Spain and there is no guarantee it won't fuck it up on other locations.

Cloud

Haven't been abroad since my parents' timeshare got sold from under them (resort was sold), that was 2013 I think.  Haven't really felt the need, to be honest.

Pingers

2 weeks camping in Wales. Get in, and fuck the rest of you.

Pingers

^ sorry, totally unnecessary drunken twattery that I'm not able to delete for some reason

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Braintree on July 29, 2020, 07:21:54 PMI am not sure I am comfortable with this idea that lockdown is over and the virus has gone so lets carry on as before.

I am not sure where you got the idea that that is what's happening. Eurostar, for example, is selling only a small enough fraction of seats to allow social distancing on the trains, and all passengers must wear masks. In the Netherlands, museums are requiring reservations to allow them to ensure they don't get crowded enough for social distancing to be an issue, and masks are required on public transport there. Restaurants and hotels are taking extra steps to enforce distancing. Possibly some people will be dicks and their actions might undercut this, but that's just as likely to be true if I go on holiday to somewhere in the UK. I'm not sure where you get the idea that everyone is carrying on as before.

Braintree

Not everyone is wearing masks, they have stopped announcing cases and deaths (in England anyway), people are not social distancing, especially, in holiday resorts and pubs. As much as business put things in place it is clear from just leaving the house that people have stopped taking this seriously and do not think they are at risk.

ASFTSN

Yeah. Drove down Edgware Road on Friday night and it just looked exactly like a normal Friday night. Even the shisha bars were rammed.

Gurke and Hare

"While driving down a main road in central London, I was paying close attention to the occupancy of the bars along that road. Everyone else is totally irresponsible."

Went to the coast for a week via train and distancing was good, Paddington was pretty much empty with people at the entrance with sanitiser and facemasks if you didn't have one and when on the train you were only allowed to sit at the window seats so that the staff can walk down the aisle without coming into close contact with anyone, masks compulsory on board too.

mr. logic

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 30, 2020, 10:54:56 AM
"While driving down a main road in central London, I was paying close attention to the occupancy of the bars along that road. Everyone else is totally irresponsible."

Yeah, I made this point when somebody mentioned their concern that the route they had been using for their daily exercise was suddenly busier. To me that seemed to suggest that people were suddenly catching up with their own irresponsibility, but I was rightly admonished for noting such base irony.

Cuellar

"Paying close attention", get a grip. Perfectly possible to drive and see 'people in a place' at the same time. You're MEANT to keep an eye on pedestrians in case they decide to run out in front of your car. Traffic was probably moving slowly enough on Edgware Road anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 30, 2020, 09:26:58 AM
I am not sure where you got the idea that that is what's happening. Eurostar, for example, is selling only a small enough fraction of seats to allow social distancing on the trains, and all passengers must wear masks. In the Netherlands, museums are requiring reservations to allow them to ensure they don't get crowded enough for social distancing to be an issue, and masks are required on public transport there. Restaurants and hotels are taking extra steps to enforce distancing. Possibly some people will be dicks and their actions might undercut this, but that's just as likely to be true if I go on holiday to somewhere in the UK. I'm not sure where you get the idea that everyone is carrying on as before.

Safer not to bother though isn't it? The two things that would put me off is travelling seems high risk, even with mitigation as it passes through high traffic hubs and you're in an enclosed space in something that recirculates air to varying degrees (not sure how ventilation works in the channel tunnel but I assume it's recirculated to some degree less than a plane) and the fact that if you can't do "normal stuff" locally without it being a massive pain in the arse, how is doing "holiday stuff" in a foreign land, which can be a bit of a faff logistically speaking at the best of times going to be something recreational?

Uncle TechTip

I'd never criticise anyone for going abroad - we all need a break, economy etc - but anyone flying out should have appreciated the risks and any consequence is down to them. So for your own convenience, definitely safer not to bother - holiday at the seaside instead.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 30, 2020, 01:10:39 PMthe fact that if you can't do "normal stuff" locally without it being a massive pain in the arse, how is doing "holiday stuff" in a foreign land, which can be a bit of a faff logistically speaking at the best of times going to be something recreational?

I suppose it depends on your own pain in the arse threshold, and what you do when you're on holiday. I like going to museums and just walking round foreign cities, so the biggest hassle is going to be booking museum tickets in advance. I've no issue with wearing a mask, so for the things I personally want to do it doesn't seem especially onerous.

That said, I'm canning the trip for now, as Luxembourg is back on the quarantine list and there's every chance Belgium is next, and I've have to change trains there on the way back from Rotterdam so nah.

Pinball

ASFTSN

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 30, 2020, 10:54:56 AM

I was a passenger. "While I was being driven" would be more accurate.

Alberon

Brother-in-law's family are about to go to France. They're both working from home (probably forever) but they'll come back two weeks before school starts so my nephew won't miss any of it if they do get quarantined.

We had two holidays booked, one in Spain and one in North Italy. The Spain one was booked for just a couple of weeks before Lockdown started and got cancelled just a few days before we were due to go. Got our money back and spent three days in Brixham the week before Lockdown. Mrs Alberon had something suspiciously Covidy the next week so it probably wasn't worth it (though she wasn't badly ill).