Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Guardian dumps Steve Bell after 40 years

Started by ajsmith2, July 20, 2020, 05:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That cartoon of Priti Patel was not his brightest idea.
I think they would have got rid of him , anyway. He was commanding a six figure salary for drawing Boris Johnson with a bum for a face, and the Guardian haven't got a pot to piss in atm. Am very surprised they've not introduced a paywall by now, fair play to 'em for that in a way, really.

NoSleep

Before If... there was Maggie's Farm in Time Out and then City Limits, which was brilliant.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Petey Pate

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 20, 2020, 07:20:08 PMI think they would have got rid of him , anyway. He was commanding a six figure salary for drawing Boris Johnson with a bum for a face, and the Guardian haven't got a pot to piss in atm.

I think Private Eye revealed a while ago that "Matt" of the Daily Telegraph is paper's highest paid member of staff, though unlike Bell, his cartoons are poorly drawn and not funny.

Absorb the anus burn

His cartoons have been so out of tune with the centrist (and conformist) nature of The Guardian that I'm surprised he lasted the last five years...[nb] His portrayal of Sir Eric Armrest as the PM's butler was surely the last straw for this this sorry mess of a newspaper.[/nb]

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 20, 2020, 07:20:08 PM
That cartoon of Priti Patel was not his brightest idea.
I think they would have got rid of him , anyway. He was commanding a six figure salary for drawing Boris Johnson with a bum for a face, and the Guardian haven't got a pot to piss in atm. Am very surprised they've not introduced a paywall by now, fair play to 'em for that in a way, really.

There was a dispute between Bell and the editor, over a cartoon they wouldn't publish, which be became public a while ago - think something like two years ago. Since then, iirc, there was another one that they spiked. When the first dispute became so public, I thought it was likely a matter of time before he left.

Re: Guardian finances - I think it was last year that they made a (slight) profit in years - the reader contribution has meant to have been pretty successful.

idunnosomename

❤ Simon Hedges liked

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 20, 2020, 07:57:55 PM
I think Private Eye revealed a while ago that "Matt" of the Daily Telegraph is paper's highest paid member of staff, though unlike Bell, his cartoons are poorly drawn and not funny.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 20, 2020, 09:58:34 PM
❤ Simon Hedges liked

That "joke" doesn't make any sense. " Italian debt follows you round the room" , indeed. What the fuck's that supposed to mean? Load of old bollocks.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 20, 2020, 09:55:37 PM
Re: Guardian finances - I think it was last year that they made a (slight) profit in years - the reader contribution has meant to have been pretty successful.
Touched on in this thread a bit:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,81515.0.html

Hard not to read the cutting as a choice rather than something forced upon them.

dissolute ocelot

His penguins were cute. But ultimately his role in the thing was come for the underpants, stay for Jonathan Freedland. And these days it takes a lot more than a drawing of David Cameron in fetishwear to bring them in.

poodlefaker

Martin Rowson's cartoons are a hundred times worse than Bell's.

Brundle-Fly

It was Steven Appleby's strips I could never quite get. Baffling stuff some of it.

seepage

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 20, 2020, 07:20:08 PMHe was commanding a six figure salary...

A "high 6-figure salary", at that.

I mean the guy's pretty good, but going on for a million quid a year?!

They should have done a Vordermann on him, offered him 10% of what he's currently on now (which would still be at least double the average UK salary) with a "take it or leave it".

The fact that they didn't do this leads me to infer that Viner was never a fan.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2020, 02:04:01 PMIt was Steven Appleby's strips I could never quite get. Baffling stuff some of it.

Oh God, yes.

I don't think my brain has ever quite recovered from those baffling strips he did for NME in the late 80s(?) that, amongst other things, featured a race of space aliens that were basically walking talking arses.  Hairy arses, at that.

That makes it sound far more fun than it was, btw.  I'm not sure that even poo would have approved.

Fake EDIT: Just did some Googling, seems they even made a kids' cartoon series out of it ten years later, ffs.  Presumably they left out the talking buttock creatures.

Ironically it looks ever-so-slightly more fun to me now than it did 30-35 years ago, but still... meh.  Sorry Steven, not my thing.

idunnosomename

I liked Steven Appleby, I have retained his Happy Families stocking filler book over the years.

Captain Star was made by Cosgrove Hall for CITV and didn't really work. I remember Small Birds Singing in the weekend Times as a kid and putting some in a scrapbook because I thought it was charmingly bonkers.

Jockice

Are they going to bring back Varoomshka then?

Ferris

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 20, 2020, 07:57:55 PM

According to a quick google, he's on 650,000 GBP per year and the paper bought him a rectory and gave him an interest free mortgage for a holiday home.

...for that.

Virgo76

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 20, 2020, 10:00:28 PM
That "joke" doesn't make any sense. " Italian debt follows you round the room" , indeed. What the fuck's that supposed to mean? Load of old bollocks.

In fairness, I don't think trying to analyse a joke like that is ever going to work is it?
Boring facts: Matt is the grandson of writer V.S. Pritchett.  The author and screenwriter Alex Garland is also the son of the retired Telegraph cartoonist, Nicholas Garland.

The Guardian's recovery has been halted by the lockdown. They are in trouble again now.

poodlefaker

Matt manages to smuggle a cock and balls onto the face of every person in his cartoons, and still those squares in the Telegraph boardroom haven't noticed. He's sitting in his rectory laughing at them.

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 04:03:20 AM
According to a quick google, he's on 650,000 GBP per year and the paper bought him a rectory and gave him an interest free mortgage for a holiday home.

...for that.

Matt does it again!!

Consignia

The latest If... strips are about Johnson and his subservient butler, Keeves.

Can't see how that's at all incompatible with the Graun's editorial line.

boki

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 22, 2020, 10:12:09 AM
Matt manages to smuggle a cock and balls onto the face of every person in his cartoons, and still those squares in the Telegraph boardroom haven't noticed. He's sitting in his rectory laughing at them.
Doing the Lord's work takes on many forms.

idunnosomename

Im obsessed with the cock n balls revelation

Every face looks like a little cock with a big ol ballsack. Every one

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Consignia on July 22, 2020, 10:25:21 AM
The latest If... strips are about Johnson and his subservient butler, Keeves.

Can't see how that's at all incompatible with the Graun's editorial line.

He hardly ever made me laugh and If... always looks too ugly to me. The stupid lower case i amongst all upper case doesn't help. (And it's lady's maid. </twatpedant>)
A good artist though, and plenty of people say I'm wrong.

Consignia

I wasn't a huge fan of If..., but I've found it sporadically funny over the years. You can get long chains with boring crap though, and jokes which make a single comic decent, stretched over weeks.

idunnosomename

Somehow his David Cameron with a condom on his head just annoyed me

Not to mention his BUSH IS AMONKEY LOL which was the precursor to the ORANGE MAN BAD liberal satire hellhole of today

NoSleep