Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:21:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

weird vegetables wot you have ate

Started by pancreas, July 20, 2020, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Yam

Smells of cum. Tastes okay. Potato with the texture of parsnip. Meh.

Eddoes

Look like face-hugger eggs. Taste somewhat sweet and nutty. Potato-parsnip axis again. Would.

Fuzzy melon (young winter melon, ash gourd)

Somewhere between cucumber and marrow with somehow even less flavour than each. Wouldn't.

I was sick of having to walk past these things in exotic food shops and assuming they were not for the likes of me, so I just fucking got them.

ZoyzaSorris

Yacon. Been growing these because they take zero effort and don't mind the shadier side of the garden, and also are supposed to be low-carb.

Can just eat them raw - a bit like a super-juicy not so sweet pear, pretty great. Oligosaccharides make your gut produce a lot of CO2 if you don't eat in modest quantities though.

pancreas

tao of wub

Mulli - these can be cut up and deep fried like chips.  Thats how they have them in Tanzania.  Or they can be grated and put with ginger, chilli and garlic as a filling in a paratha, (pronounced more like bronta, the Punjabi P is pronounced more as a B)

Brinjal - not so weird really, just little aubergines.  Not as little as the pea aubergines that they eat in Thailand

Can we do fruits, go on lets do fruits..

Bangladeshi lemon - this smells amazing and has more of a bergamot character

I think some of the more tasteless veg is only really any good if it gets spiced up nice.

king_tubby

Ha, I remember when the Morrison's near me decided to go 'flagship' and stock all kinds of amazing veg. We got some eddoes. They were forgettable.

Had a curry made with ash gourd in Huddersfield once, sour but nice.

Rizla

Haven't been going to the Indian grocers at all since the lockdown, it's a long walk from the new place. Been missing the brinjal, which I do with a tamarind-based rub, and okra which I like to slice in long thin strips and fry with lots of garlic and chillies and salt, mmmmmm. (don't let it go spunky!)

Bought these bitter bastards a few times but I've never really made them work. I'll try again though, they're supposed to be very good for you.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I once ate a carrot that looked a bit like a penis.

Sherringford Hovis

My penis looks like a carrot. It normally looks like a parsnip, but thanks to confusing Ambre Solaire Bronzer and lube in the throes of onanistic bliss it's done a Donald Trump impression, silly hairdo 'n' all.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Are you sure I didn't eat your penis then?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rizla on July 20, 2020, 10:59:16 PM
Haven't been going to the Indian grocers at all since the lockdown, it's a long walk from the new place. Been missing the brinjal, which I do with a tamarind-based rub, and okra which I like to slice in long thin strips and fry with lots of garlic and chillies and salt, mmmmmm. (don't let it go spunky!)

Bought these bitter bastards a few times but I've never really made them work. I'll try again though, they're supposed to be very good for you.

I think I mentioned them on here when I was in Canada. Bitter melons aren't they? Very bitter if I remember correctly.

Pingers

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 21, 2020, 08:43:38 AM
I think I mentioned them on here when I was in Canada. Bitter melons aren't they? Very bitter if I remember correctly.

Called karela in India. Apparently if you slice the knobbly bits off they are more palatable, but I find that if you cut all of it off and chuck it all in the compost it's even better.

Tinda are nice though, and if you're lucky they will go on a date with you.

king_tubby

Ah man, got me ash gourd mixed up with me bitter melons.

brb, deleting account.

Gregory Torso

Bitter gourd. Tastes like a chairleg embalmed in herman goring's arse death water. Probably meant to cook it first, though.

pancreas

The word gourd doesn't exactly fill you with hope, does it? Sounds like a part of a church.

JaDanketies

A pause while the Beard Seller tries to find change. Brian sees a pair of patrolling Roman soldiers.

Brian:
It's all right, that's four for the gourd — that's fine!
Beard Seller:
Four for the gourd. Four!! Look at it, that's worth ten if it's worth a shekel.
Brian:
You just gave it to me for nothing!
Beard Seller:
Yes, but it's worth ten.
Brian:
All right, all right.
Beard Seller:
No, no, no. It's not worth ten. You're supposed to argue. 'What? Ten for that? You must be mad!'

I had Muuli. I just ate it raw in a salad as a beetroot substitute. It doesn't have the taste of a beetroot though.

edit: actually it was a radish substitute

I've had bitter gourd a couple of times from the local Indian sweet centre and quite like it with paratha and a little mango chutney to counteract the bitterness.

"...quite like it..." Damned with faint praise there.

Sebastian Cobb

Galangal. It's a bit of a ballache to get in even some good spice shops but you can use ginger instead and it'll be fine

Mooli's just a big white radish isn't it? The same thing the Japanese call daikon.

pancreas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 21, 2020, 10:45:53 AM
Galangal. It's a bit of a ballache to get in even some good spice shops but you can use ginger instead and it'll be fine

no you fucking can't

Bazooka

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 21, 2020, 09:56:34 AM
Bitter gourd. Tastes like a chairleg embalmed in herman goring's arse death water. Probably meant to cook it first, though.

I've never had a decent bitter gourd dish in the People's Republic, it's just a non factor vegetable, that even buggers up at being bitter, embarrassing.

tao of wub

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 21, 2020, 10:46:33 AM
Mooli's just a big white radish isn't it? The same thing the Japanese call daikon.

This is true.  If you don't live near any asian stores though you are not going to find one, so it is mildly exotic.

Those bitter melons get their flavour from quinine apparently.  They also become a bit less bitter as they ripen and turn orange.  Never tried one though.

Sebastian Cobb

I've been using Jackfruit in Shwarma and Biryani's as a meat substitute, works quite well.

Apart from the first time when I made a Biryani with the ripened stuff, not knowing there's ripe and young stuff and you're supposed to you use young in everything that's not a pudding.

idunnosomename

ee, remember mangosteen? what were all THAT about, eh

Pingers

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 21, 2020, 11:39:17 AM
ee, remember mangosteen? what were all THAT about, eh

Mangosteens are delicious.

Christophines, on the other hand, are entirely forgettable, which I can evidence by having entirely forgotten what they are like.

Gregory Torso

Mangosteen are a fruits, isn't they?

Marner and Me

I'm not eating that, it's come out the fuckin' ground.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 21, 2020, 12:03:58 PM
Mangosteen are a fruits, isn't they?
OH HERE COME THE TOMATO HAS SEEDS BRIGADE

WHAT ABOUT BANANAS??!?!

WHAT ABOUT BANANAS??!?!?!