Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MP's have just voted against NHS protections.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 21, 2020, 12:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/status/1285314836386242565

Amongst other things.

QuoteMPs have voted against New Clause 17, with 340 votes to 251. The New Clause intended to protect the NHS and publicly funded health and care services in other parts of the UK from any form of control from outside the UK.

MPs have voted against amendment 10, with 345 votes to 244. This amendment would have ensured that the consent of a devolved government is required for regulations under section 2(1) if those regulations contain matters which are within the remit of the devolved government.

Zetetic

On the devolved nations stuff, in fairness they've also voted for the Westminster Parliament to have no oversight for such trade deals.

Usual reminder that we already spend a huge amount of NHS cash, across the UK, on sending people without any choice in the matter to US-owned locked hospitals, but it's fine because these.people are usually a bit irritating.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on July 21, 2020, 12:21:20 AM
Usual reminder that we already spend a huge amount of NHS cash, across the UK, on sending people without any choice in the matter to US-owned locked hospitals

That's outrageous. How do they get in?

Pingers

I think Zetetic may be referring to Cygnet Health Care, who run a lot of private psychiatric hospital in the UK including some secure services. They are owned by Universal Health Services, a US company. They do very well out of the chronic shortage of inpatient psychiatric services in the NHS and exploit a literally captive market - if someone requires detention under the Mental Health Act then they have to go somewhere, and NHS provision has been steadily de-funded over the years. Last I knew it cost about 1,500 GBP per day to place someone in a private psychiatric unit.

Zetetic

And the Priory Group (owned by Acadia Healthcare), and Elysium (owned by investment firm BC Partners).

Buelligan

At least the grown ups are in the room now.

'Imagine the state we'd be in if Corbyn had been in charge', to quote Helen Cunt quoting a tory voter in the Guardian.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on July 21, 2020, 10:24:15 AM
At least the grown ups are in the room now.

'Imagine the state we'd be in if Corbyn had been in charge', to quote Helen Cunt quoting a tory voter in the Guardian.

It's true, the tories have only recently been corrupted if one of the great political commentators of our time is to be believed.

bgmnts

Thank god we clapped for the NHS a couple of months ago. Who knows where the NHS would be if we didn't clap.

BlodwynPig

I used to say "we are sleepwalking into totalitarianism"

Now I say "we are hot taking into totalitarianism"

NoSleep

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2020, 10:54:31 AM
Thank god we clapped for the NHS a couple of months ago. Who knows where the NHS would be if we didn't clap.

The value of the currency of clapping took a tumble the following week, though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 21, 2020, 11:11:01 AM
I used to say "we are sleepwalking into totalitarianism"

Now I say "we are hot taking into totalitarianism"

I'm doing more than my bit to counter these hot takes with leftie shitposts, pal.

JaDanketies

Almost all of the media and political establishment colluded to put this incompetent psychopath into Number 10 instead of a principled and decent man. This was entirely foreseeable. And I don't wholly blame the proles for voting against their own interests. Why would someone who has read the Sun or the Daily Mail (or the Guardian) or watched BBC News for decades vote for someone who they 'know' is a Jew-hating terrorist-lover?

idunnosomename

James o'Brain really is the most insufferably smug, sanctimonious tosser on the fucking planet

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 21, 2020, 11:30:02 AM
James o'Brain really is the most insufferably smug, sanctimonious tosser on the fucking planet

He seems to be as thick as mince when he can't cut people off and then rabbit on without them being able to reply as well.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 21, 2020, 11:18:21 AM
I'm doing more than my bit to counter these hot takes with leftie shitposts, pal.

Keep the Red Flag Flumping!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 21, 2020, 11:23:47 AM
Almost all of the media and political establishment colluded to put this incompetent psychopath into Number 10 instead of a principled and decent man. This was entirely foreseeable. And I don't wholly blame the proles for voting against their own interests. Why would someone who has read the Sun or the Daily Mail (or the Guardian) or watched BBC News for decades vote for someone who they 'know' is a Jew-hating terrorist-lover?

No moral backbone? Lazy, self-interested, tired population?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 21, 2020, 03:03:36 PM
Keep clapping you cunts.
Every time I see your username I compulsively add "...and Dinner Dog."

momatt

Have any newspapers/sites reported on this?  I haven't seen any.  It's really fucking weird and suspicious as fuck.

Going by the text in the original tweet, it also looks like our data is up for sale as well.  Fucking hell.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Pingers on July 21, 2020, 07:33:39 AM
I think Zetetic may be referring to Cygnet Health Care, who run a lot of private psychiatric hospital in the UK including some secure services. They are owned by Universal Health Services, a US company. They do very well out of the chronic shortage of inpatient psychiatric services in the NHS and exploit a literally captive market - if someone requires detention under the Mental Health Act then they have to go somewhere, and NHS provision has been steadily de-funded over the years. Last I knew it cost about 1,500 GBP per day to place someone in a private psychiatric unit.

Thanks!

Zetetic

Pingers

To be honest, the 'care' on offer in many NHS psychiatric inpatient services is no better than that in Cygnet hospitals, but the shit care in NHS facilities is cheaper than the shit care in the private sector. Better value shit for money.

sirhenry

They also agreed to allow import of agricultural goods that is not up to UK standards in terms of food safety, hygiene and traceability, animal health, environmental protection and plant health.

On the bright side, it does mean that people eating chicken will be protected against coronavirus.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sirhenry on July 21, 2020, 07:01:45 PM
They also agreed to allow import of agricultural goods that is not up to UK standards in terms of food safety, hygiene and traceability, animal health, environmental protection and plant health.

On the bright side, it does mean that people eating chicken will be protected against coronavirus.

???

why is this slipping through without a protest or a riot? Horrible how rapidly things go from "they'll never sell the NHS, there will be riots" to "what's that love, selling the NHS? Fuck them cunts...MGBGA!"

Zetetic

Quote from: Pingers on July 21, 2020, 06:49:45 PM
To be honest, the 'care' on offer in many NHS psychiatric inpatient services is no better than that in Cygnet hospitals,.
Sure. There is a common cause of seeing demand for inpatient services in terms of failure, and a broad determination that such services should not exist at all.

We therefore run NHS services into the ground, eventually shut them down as not fit for purpose (and massively risky) and private providers move into the space because the demand hasn't gone away.

COVID-19 provides a massive opportunity for well-meaning prevention idealogues, of course, whilst also creating the conditions that will utterly undermine their efforts.

SpiderChrist

Can one of the sensible people on here let me know if they've seen anything about the NHS being included in the trade deal vote on the BBC News channel or website?

I don't want to get all tin foil hat, but it appears to have been overlooked...

Buelligan

It all sounds bad, I know.  But at least Corbyn's not in charge, eh?  Imagine what that might have been like.

bomb_dog

There's hardly any coverage. Usually when something like this happens I see retweet after retweet if Labour MPs or commentators saying how disgraceful it is. Nothing from any Tory to defend the vote either. Just radio silence. Perhaps it's expected to get nixed at the Lords and sent back, when we get to see it sail through again, and then we may finally hear something but it'll be too late to shout loudly about it.

Yeah, but Corbyn eh? Diane Abbott's maths lol! Just imagine how.... er...

This is just one of a few things in the last five days anyone with a brain should be angry at

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bomb_dog on July 21, 2020, 09:05:18 PM
There's hardly any coverage. Usually when something like this happens I see retweet after retweet if Labour MPs or commentators saying how disgraceful it is. Nothing from any Tory to defend the vote either. Just radio silence. Perhaps it's expected to get nixed at the Lords and sent back, when we get to see it sail through again, and then we may finally hear something but it'll be too late to shout loudly about it.

Yeah, but Corbyn eh? Diane Abbott's maths lol! Just imagine how.... er...

This is just one of a few things in the last five days anyone with a brain should be angry at

RIOTS RIOTS (MASKED) RIOTS NOW

Quote14. A Tory MP texted his intern to ask for "no strings" fun "pweeease".

15. She replied that she was having a "bad mental health day"

16. He said maybe if she thought of "fun times" with him, she'd feel better. Nice.

GET HIM SACKED....WHOEVER CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN PLEASE DO IT. RUB THE GRUBBY FELLOW INTO THE DIRT NOW

ollyboro

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 21, 2020, 11:23:47 AM

It was a tough choice for some of the  Red Wall. "Well, on the one hand Corbyn hates the Jews; on the other hand he likes terrorists. Think II'll vote Tory.......who hate me."