Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,403
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Brooks RIP

Started by TrenterPercenter, July 21, 2020, 07:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Sadly Michael Brooks famous for the Majority Report and The Michael Brooks Show has suddenly died at age 37.

He was absolutely one of if not the most important leftwing voices of the modern age and one of the major driving forces behind the Bernie Sanders campaign.  Absolutely devastating news. This guy was so damn special and had what many thought an important and long career on the left. His poor family.

Don't know what to say.  FUCK SAKE!

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/michael-brooks-death-majority-report-podcast-michael-brooks-show-sam-seder-cause-a9629516.html

Petey Pate

Yeah this is pretty out of the blue.  Not a regular viewer of his but still a shock.

Urinal Cake

He died pretty young it fucking sucks. RIP

So soon after Carl Reiner too.

TrenterPercenter

Suprised at how little people have given a fuck about this on here.  This guy was the one of if not the most pro-Corbyn voices in US leftwing media.  He is a massive loss to the left in general.

Non Stop Dancer

It's been mentioned in the lefty podcast thread in picture box as well. I haven't watched it all but the majority report today was heart wrenching.

Funcrusher

Today's Majority Report was as emotional as one would expect. I was tearing up a fair few times myself.

He's a huge loss. He was only just getting started and developing ideas of a real international left solidarity beyond internet squabbling. Also a fucking amazing comedic talent, funnier than a lot of feted stand ups. Andy Kindler was among those paying tribute to him on MR today, along with Anna Kasparian and Bhaskar Sunkara. A great political mind, brilliant at breaking down complex ideas or events and really witty and charismatic. His book 'Against The Web' is well worth reading. He really leaves a big void, there was no one else quite like him.

Cloud

For a minute there my heart sank but turns out it wasn't the Michael Brooks I was thinking of.

Sad all the same though, that's no age

peanutbutter

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 21, 2020, 10:33:11 PM
Suprised at how little people have given a fuck about this on here.  This guy was the one of if not the most pro-Corbyn voices in US leftwing media.  He is a massive loss to the left in general.
I'd say he was only really beginning to properly establish himself so I'd guess he just isn't known by that many people here.

Absolutely was the kind of guy who had a fuckton of potential to actually win people over in arguments too. Crazy wild grasp of knowledge, very keen to share it and capable of delivering it all in a calm and considerate manner. The way he just absolutely steamrolled Destiny alone probably converted a lot of people.

Danger Man

Suprised at how little people have given a fuck about this on here. 

Trenter discovers that English Exceptionalism is as much left wing as it is right wing.

pcsjwgm

Briefly discussed in the US Elections and Lefty podcast threads, FWIW:
Quote from: peanutbutter on July 21, 2020, 12:04:53 AM
Seeing on Twitter that Michael Brooks has died, sudden medical condition
Quote from: Funcrusher on July 21, 2020, 12:22:10 AM
One less left podcast to listen to, Michael Brooks of The Majority Report and The Michael Brooks Show has died - a pulmonary embolism apparently.

https://twitter.com/tmbsfm/status/1285341579578753024/photo/1

Really shocked by this, he was one of the best.

Michael Brooks's sister Lisha confirmed that his death was caused by a blood clot:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hasan_Piker/comments/hvbhv3/michael_brooks_sister_lisha_confirms_blood_clot/

Paul Calf

I'm really sorry to introduce this idea into the thread, but is it possible that this could be a suspicious death? 'Key left-wing figure dies suddenly at 37' sounds very 2020.

Quote from: Danger Man on July 22, 2020, 12:18:35 AM
Trenter discovers that English Exceptionalism is as much left wing as it is right wing.

Exceptionalism demands self-confidence, energy and motivation. This is just ignorance.

That Majority report episode the day after his death with Sam Seder crying was too hard to watch

He was just a lovable guy who was always cracking jokes, and when he was in serious mode got me onto a lot of intellectuals he had on his show I'd never heard of. Also his show was probably the most internationalist left wing content with African/Latin American topics and experts, huge loss.

Rizla

Lovely tribute at the end of Tyskie Sour tonight, nice that they focussed on his spirituality which was clearly of huge importance to him. What a loss, I believe he'd have gone on to do great things. He leaves a marvellous legacy for one so young.

prwc

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 22, 2020, 08:09:10 AM
I'm really sorry to introduce this idea into the thread, but is it possible that this could be a suspicious death? 'Key left-wing figure dies suddenly at 37' sounds very 2020.

As stated above you his sister confirmed it was a blood clot so there's no need to go down that path.

This is absolutely horrendous news. He was a brilliant communicator, and balanced humour and serious analysis exceptionally well. This was reflected in the diversity of his guests too, he had Chomsky and Stavros Halkias on his show just a few weeks apart and seemed perfectly adept at chatting to both.

I found the Michael Brooks Show on YouTube a few months ago and I've been watching it a lot since then. It was so nice to hear a genuine and compassionate person speaking knowledgeably and articulately about international politics. He was really fucking funny as well. I could listen to him take the piss out of Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, etc all day. I'm gutted there won't be any more of it.

https://youtu.be/p1WNrnsfb44
(Jordan Peterson's cider trauma)