Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Paper Mario - The Origami King

Started by Chedney Honks, July 21, 2020, 09:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I've only ever played one PM game before, on the Wii. Never finished it because I got stuck/bored in some town. I don't want any Mario RPG and have never played TTYD so I've not had a psychotic break that this game isn't that. It's good so far. Funny, looks cool. I quite like the simple puzzle of the combat though I suspect it will become repetitive if there's no development.

It's on a similar rung as Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby Star Allies and Captain Toad as retirement home/vent tier, but slightly elevated by being genuinely funny at times.

brat-sampson

Everything I've seen came from the first area/s of the game I think, which has probably put me off a bit by being a little too basic/doing the thing of spending 4 hours explaining how to move a circle etc. I'm mostly interested to see how it is later on, once all that shit's out of the way and they can actually start showing some imagination. Previous Paper Mario games have had some fantastic little scenarios and ideas, so would be good to know it keeps up that tradition. I'd say I'll try and pick it up in a sale down the line, but it's Nintendo published, so almost no chance of it going below 20% off for the next 50 years or so.

Timothy

Didn't have high expectations but it's a really fun game. Enjoying the puzzles and the game is hilarious. Combat is fine.

SavageHedgehog

Don't have a Switch, but I've been playing Super Paper Mario properly for the first time since buying it 10 years ago. Loving it, much more my sort of thing than Thosand Year Door to be honest.

Bazooka

Whilst not a paper Mario game, Dream Team Bros on the 3DS had made you suffer through the most tedious and painful mandatory tutorials for everything, 8 hours in?  Who cares please stop and do this 10 minute tutorial.

brat-sampson

Posting to recant my words and deeds. It's currently sale at about 35% off, and Timothy was right. It's colourful, it's inventive, it's fun, and the pacing so far has actually been pretty damn good. I was through the intro section in under an hour, and tutorials haven't really bothered me at all. While fights are still fairly simple so far 2-3 hours in, tbh they're fairly harmless and often avoidable if you want. Don't even care really, the world is lovely, the dialogue's sharp, and toads be fucking *everywhere*. That it tracks what % of toads you've found, graffiti-holes you've filled in, treasures and blocks you've found is nice, and really has me wanting to smack everything to find the secrets, which is good because all else you seem to get for it is mostly more coins and more confetti, which is plentiful at all times anyway. You can use your found toad count to unlock artwork too, but they're basically just hidden collectables for fun, and there's dozens of them all over the place. That rock? It's a toad. Butterfly? That's a Toad. Hole in the wall? Nope, 6 toads. Areas are small but very dense, so I'm spending a long time in each one making my way through, but can just straight through them at a fair clip when backtracking.

Consider me welcomed into the fold.

RetroRobot

No idea why nerds got really mad about the bosses being living stationary. Its both hilarious and odd that it took them this long to do it.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 15, 2021, 10:03:39 PM. You can use your found toad count to unlock artwork too, but they're basically just hidden collectables for fun, and there's dozens of them all over the place. That rock? It's a toad. Butterfly? That's a Toad. Hole in the wall? Nope, 6 toads.

Reminds me of John He Does It from Delocated.

Camera.
Camera.
Camera.
Camera? Camera, camera, camera.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 26, 2021, 02:28:43 PM
Reminds me of John He Does It from Delocated.

Camera.
Camera.
Camera.
Camera? Camera, camera, camera.

Well shit, I'm now almost certain I subconsciously stole it from there. Oh well, still works. I found them all! Only got the final castle to go now. I don't think I'll bother with all the final trophies like refighting all the bosses, the puzzle fight practice or getting high scores in some spoiler stuff, but it's been a really fun time for the most part. I still suck at any ring puzzle that's actually challenging though, for some reason my brain just doesn't process the possibilities very easily.

lazyhour

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 21, 2020, 09:52:55 AM
It's on a similar rung as Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby Star Allies and Captain Toad as retirement home/vent tier, but slightly elevated by being genuinely funny at times.

Are you literally fucking kidding me? Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on the Switch is an absolute peach of a game. Beautiful mix of puzzle and action, clever level design, fun bosses, perfect controls, and Toad is adorable.

It's not so good on the 3DS because you really need that second analogue stick to enjoy silky smooth camera control.

For my money it's a top tier Nintendo game. Highly recommended, 5 bags of popcorn.

Chedney Honks

I won't be able to play bullet hell on life support so I'll save Captain Toad til then. It's not a criticism. It's just a practical reality for me.