Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:11:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner Six Not Gender: Beyond Twitterdome: Racecar, backwards

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2020, 06:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 03, 2020, 06:48:43 PM
I also notice Helen is praising Sara Pascoe, who is one of the people in Glinner's shitlists of all the celebs he's asked to hate trans people but who refuse to do so.

Surprising our Glinner's not on Instagram. Helen's posting all these pictures of her being out and about, doing nice things, and meeting nice people, like a nice aspirational Insta feed.

Someone commented 'nice name' on that Motherland S03 E01 script, presumably referring to her maiden name, and some cheeky bugger liked it.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/YYGbMqI.png[img]
graham is on insta, it has pics of his kids and helen, then it went quiet, then it was a couple of posie parker graphics. really sad.

Helen's really admirable because she seems to have spent about a year trying to stop her husband being a cunt on the internet. but you have to draw the line somewhere and live your own life. it may have been how he behaved last christmas was the last straw.

dead-ced-dead

She is indeed very admirable. My dad was also an addict (not of Twitter but still), and the amount of strength it takes to cut off your husband, the dad to your kids takes a lot of power. There are only so many second chances.

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 03, 2020, 06:57:55 PM
it may have been how he behaved last christmas was the last straw.

"HOW CAN WE OPEN PRESENTS WHILE ALL THIS IS GOING ON???? I'M DOING THIS FOR YOU"

idunnosomename

CHECK ON THE GRAVY??? SORRY BUT I HAVE TO CALL THESE DOZEN MEN "BEARD" FIRST. BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEARDS AND HATE WOMEN

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I vaguely remembered Seán MacBride's name from history class so I looked him up. He was one of the leaders of a terrorist organisation and a traitor to the Free State. You know, if we're going to cherry-pick examples from his long life and work to decide whether to listen to his granddaughter you know what fuck this, I don't care who Iseult White's forbears were, let's look her up and see if she's actually done anything noteworthy other than be born.

Oh, she's written a book to help teenagers with PTSD. I notice Glinnhole didn't mention that, instead defining her in terms of her grandfather. How very feminist of him.

phantom_power

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 03, 2020, 06:26:18 PM
If only by 'something' he meant 'my crippling internet addiction'. But instead he can ignore that in order to fixate on something that ruins his relationship with his wife and kids. I'm sure his mum still loves him. Word in his ear please Mrs Linehan.

I noticed on Helen's insta that she is hanging around with former Glinner detractor and her brother James Serafinowicz (@Flidby) and occasionally getting flirtatious comments from horn-dog men.

Graham: I can't stop when this is an issue that fundamentally affects you

Helen: I'm not that bothered to be honest Graham. Let people have the right to be what they wa...

Graham: Shut up Helen, I'm trying to stop women being silenced here

Helen quietly goes upstairs to pack

canadagoose

Quite often recently, I've been pretty angry at the SNP and at that Keira Bellend for screwing things up for trans teenagers here on Terf Island, but every time I imagine Glinner, stark naked, covered in old pillow feathers and sweat, creating his 45th Twitter account on his phone with a pile of used SIM cards next to him on his carbonara-stained racecar bed, it gives me a little laugh.

Cuellar

canadagoose

"O2 are disgusting! They're not letting me register an eighth SIM under my name this month! Clearly O2 just HATES WOMEN! We are the witches you couldn't burn, Telefonica! YET WE PERSIST!"

Dog Botherer

the Walliams thing is so inadvertently funny it almost feels self aware. what a cunt.

It's funny too that prior to Little Britain, Walliams and Lucas had already done reasonably well with Rock Profiles on whatever the Sky/cable precursor to BBC3 was. Lucas had about 8 years of Shooting Stars under his belt, and Walliams had a few bit parts on the periphery of these things, presumably through Lucas. They already had the BBC3 connection, so it's fairly unlikely this fat headed cunt tagging his name on something gave the big break he's suggesting.

BBC3 had some great stuff on at that time, but it was the infancy of Freeview and hardly a ticket to the big time - even if that blancmange was fully responsible for putting him there.

daf

He only directed the pilot * - not sure if that ever got shown on TV - though they might have re-used some bits of it scattered around the first series - which was directed by the lovely Steve Bendelack fresh from the League of Gentlemen,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (And he's a prickly nuisance on that commentary track too!)

buttgammon

Moaning about the arts in that rag is a real low ebb, not least because in his mind, the arts = The It Crowd and Harry Potter (but not the films because they feature traitor children like Ralph).

He's in good company though: neo-Nazi columnist Taki is also bemoaning the state of the arts in the same magazine, all while boasting about how he hasn't read a novel in fifty years.

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 03, 2020, 05:08:30 PM
Love the argument about Dad's Army in the comments. That must be the most in-depth discussion of comedy on his blog so far.

(iirc Godfrey was a conscientious objector in WWI and Fraser said something about not wanting to serve with a "Conschie" after he found out. Don't recall Jones getting any white feathers though)

Jones gets the white feathers in a different ep, he's accused of leaving someone to die in his old army regiment and sent the white cowardice feathers.

idunnosomename

the spectator article doesn't read like most of glinner's bilge. it seems like it's been through the journo grinder. that last bit

QuoteNow that everyone is online, the personal is political and comedy is becoming increasingly scarce as a result. We are all the poorer for it.

classic broadsheet hack rhythm. de dum dum de dum de dum, de dum dum dum. dum dum dum. *END*

did anyone link to it in full behind paywall? here: https://archive.md/qdfJm

JamesTC

Quote from: buttgammon on December 03, 2020, 08:26:52 PM
Moaning about the arts in that rag is a real low ebb, not least because in his mind, the arts = The It Crowd and Harry Potter (but not the films because they feature traitor children like Ralph).

He's in good company though: neo-Nazi columnist Taki is also bemoaning the state of the arts in the same magazine, all while boasting about how he hasn't read a novel in fifty years.

Quote from: JamesTC on December 01, 2020, 10:04:20 PM
"He's hit a new low" should be the thread catchphrase.

jobotic

Wonder what Golden Dawn go on trans rights. Glinner should ask his new colleague.

buttgammon

JamesTC

Quote from: buttgammon on December 03, 2020, 08:39:40 PM
In my defence, I did use a synonym!

I'm just happy that I noticed the thread catchphrase so shortly before it happened again. Every time you think he can't get any lower, he digs a little bit further.

mippy

The spellcheck thing is a false premise - comments to the C4 duty log are recorded verbatim and there is something of a variety of spelling there.

In fact, C4 ran an entire campaign based on actual duty log comments received and how they are going to carry on anyway. Not to labour the point or anything, but this sort of thing is kind of my area and if you're going to hang your article on a particular metaphorical peg it helps if it's firmly hammered into the wall, rather than yanked out around the time Mary Whitehouse died.

Cold Meat Platter

The behaviour of this "green ink brigade" sounds a bit familiar. "Crazy, entitled, demanding complaints," eh? Well well.
What a fucking fandan.

Jockice

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on December 03, 2020, 06:04:41 PM
This is my favourite bit:

David Walliams, who achieved fame partly because I attached myself to the pilot of Little Britain, didn't respond to my emails.

I can remember David Walliams from long before Little Britain. He was in some BBC2 drama. Not This Life but something a bit like that.

And he was (with Lucas) in the Vindaloo video by The Three Wankers or whatever they called themselves.

Jockice

Quote from: buttgammon on December 03, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
The Handmaid's Tale stuff is interesting, because a lot of terves clearly don't understand the point of it - namely that it's about the control of women's bodies and that they're definitely the baddies with that issue.

Reminds me of how Youtube clips of This Is England would always have comments saying stuff like "Great movie! Keep Britain White!"

rue the polywhirl

Menu

I.D. Smith

Just to add to the pre-Little Britain Walliams spotting, he played some small side parts in a couple of episodes of Bang Bang, It's Reeves & Mortimer, and also quite a large part in an episode of Spaced, both pre-2000