Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner Six Not Gender: Beyond Twitterdome: Racecar, backwards

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2020, 06:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

I wonder how far Rowling has to go before "show me what she's actually said that's transphobic. EXACT QUOTES PLEASE" loses its force.

GoblinAhFuckScary

That Posie Parker Nazi thing is SO repugnant. The fact that LGBT rights are framed this way and gaslit as fascism is truly evil and really, deeply fills me with an intense sense of foreboding.

damien

Even The Telegraph won't stick up for her anymore
https://twitter.com/nickmduffy/status/1305441734013394944?s=21

That Dozy Parker one sounds like a right piece of work.

Mister Six

The Telegraph is surprisingly progressive on trans issues. They had a trans columnist for years. It's the Guardian and Independent - the papers that were open to feminism earlier, when transphobia was the norm - that you've got to keep your eyes on.

Quote from: Chiefgango on September 14, 2020, 07:29:06 AM
I'm sure Glinner is wetting himself with glee at the new JKRowlingbutsecretlywrittenunderthenameofaninfamousconversiontherapist novel - It features a transgender serial killer!

It's pretty mask-off transphobia when you invoke the oldest transphobic trope in the book isn't it? Full on Silence of the Lambs fan fiction.

Even Silence of the Lambs had a bunch of characters outright state that Buffalo Bill wasn't trans(sexual, as was the preferred term at the time), and that he was on fact refused gender reassignment therapy for precisely that reason.

So JKR's new novel is less progressive than a schlocky horror book from 1988.

Rowling's a truly hateful individual, isn't she? Glinner is more obviously monstrous because of his monomania, his more openly venomous language and the fact that he directly targeted people on social media. But he was also too stupid and deranged to actually achieve anything, and only succeeded in exiling himself from wider society, destroying his own life and career, and raising thousands of pounds for Mermaids.

But Rowling is smart enough to restrain herself and use the superficially respectful language of the gender critical lot to maintain some degree of social acceptability and promulgate these diseased notions to a much wider audience.

sevendaughters

thing is my mum and dad, who are not progressive liberal types at all (my dad left the room during the first gay kiss on Eastenders, my mum votes for the one in the nicest suit) have had people in their life go through gender reassignment. whilst they're not entirely politically correct in their language, they are accepting and loving and realise this is something people have to do and it poses no threat to their safety or the order of life on this planet. and i just generally think if you're behind my parents when it comes to being "with it" then you want to have a serious think about how it got like this.

mippy

I got a pop-up notification for his channel the other day. As others have said, how can someone who worked in TV, actually directed stuff, make such a weirdly lit hideous looking channel?

Did the better business bureau ever get back to him? they did receive one strongly worded email after he was banned.

thats the blog post that would get me subscribed to his patreon.

phes

Dip into this one every few weeks out of morbid curiosity to catch up on where Linehan is now. It's fascinating how now that Twitter is completely done for him his life transformation is so stark. No 600K followers, no badgering celebrities, few articles about him. Everything he does, everyone he publicly relates to, everything he talks about is GC. You've got to hand it to him, he's fully committed to his odious little campaign

frajer

Yes, it's been a plummet into sheer irrelevance.

Just dipped my toe into his sad man's blog and see that he's taken to asking his loyal few supporters to send him copies of his old anti-trans jpegs, if they happened to save them, as he lost them all when he lost his Twitter account.

QuoteI had a whole page of clowns saying things that trans rights activists say. If anyone has JPEGs of them please send them my way. They disappeared along with the account and I don't want to have to remake them from memory. There was a particularly good Guardian one with Frank Drebin! I had to update it and I think this is the first version..

100% deso.

phes

oh Graham

He didn't seem to understand memes the first time around. Would love to see him attempt to recapture that magic from memory

buttgammon

I'm happy to donate the screenshot of the insulting Tweet he sent me about two weeks before he got banned...

He'll want this one then:

Had a look at that site the other day. It's just a collection of tweets. Being banned from Twitter is the best thing I've ever done etc.

idunnosomename

It is a LOT of tweets. Almost like just looking at his old twitter feed

QDRPHNC

I'm very confused, I clearly remember him saying he'd backed up his entire twitter account before he got banned.

Ferris

Quote from: frajer on September 15, 2020, 08:38:25 AM
Yes, it's been a plummet into sheer irrelevance.

Just dipped my toe into his sad man's blog and see that he's taken to asking his loyal few supporters to send him copies of his old anti-trans jpegs, if they happened to save them, as he lost them all when he lost his Twitter account.

100% deso.

Bleak

JamesTC

Quote from: Chollis on September 15, 2020, 01:21:07 PM
lost it all in the divorce

"She took everything in the divorce. The kitchen, the double bed, the kids and the trans critical clown pictures"

frajer

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 15, 2020, 01:15:54 PM
I'm very confused, I clearly remember him saying he'd backed up his entire twitter account before he got banned.

Tenner says he somehow fucked this up and saved a zip file full of empty .txt docs to his desktop.

The Bumlord

Quote from: mippy on September 14, 2020, 06:19:56 PM
I got a pop-up notification for his channel the other day. As others have said, how can someone who worked in TV, actually directed stuff, make such a weirdly lit hideous looking channel?

The lockdown Zoomfest has revealed an absolute tonne of film and TV types who barely know how to aim a webcam at their own faces, it's very strange.

mippy

Aye, but if I had the space for my own permanent office rather than working on our dining table, and this was basically my job now, I'd at least straighten up the shelves and pop a few lamps on.

dead-ced-dead

Even if he only has access to the most basic webcam, lighting is something that can easily be solved by opening curtains, positioning a few lamps. That horrible ring light reflected in his glasses, turning him blue is quite hideous.

And also, if you're going to be on webcam. Wash your face really well and moisturise with a non-oily moisturiser. He looks like he's melting half the time (and not always because of his oddly asymmetrical face,)

QDRPHNC

Quote from: frajer on September 15, 2020, 02:06:49 PM
Tenner says he somehow fucked this up and saved a zip file full of empty .txt docs to his desktop.

While the idea of a smug Glinner finding his meticulously-backed-up Twitter account merely a folder full of a few hundred thousand blank files (perhaps that he had spent the previous week diligently renaming) is delightful to me, I'm leaning more towards the theory that he never backed it up and only said he did to make it sound as though he had some advance warning of his ban.

Quote from: mippy on September 15, 2020, 02:51:26 PM
Aye, but if I had the space for my own permanent office rather than working on our dining table, and this was basically my job now, I'd at least straighten up the shelves and pop a few lamps on.

Or just a corner! Just say "this is my webcam corner" and paint the walls a nice colour, put up a couple of shelves with some awards, some strategically-chosen books, maybe a succulent in a designer pot and a little brass pyramid... basically create a fictional "vignette", as any right-thinking person would.

JaDanketies

I wonder if he's got the internet / life balance worked out at all yet? Looks unlikely. Still trawling Twitter, screenshotting stuff and uploading to his blog for his audience of CAB detractors.

frajer

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 15, 2020, 03:24:02 PM
Still trawling Twitter, screenshotting stuff and uploading to his blog for his audience of CAB detractors.

Nose pressed against his monitor like a scrawny Victorian urchin, gazing at fresh baked pies he'll never be allowed to call paedos.

Blue Jam

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 15, 2020, 03:21:30 PM
Or just a corner! Just say "this is my webcam corner" and paint the walls a nice colour, put up a couple of shelves with some awards, some strategically-chosen books, maybe a succulent in a designer pot and a little brass pyramid... basically create a fictional "vignette", as any right-thinking person would.

And Ricky Gervais. Nah, seriously, Are Ricky has actually got the right idea.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 15, 2020, 03:32:40 PM
And Ricky Gervais. Nah, seriously, Are Ricky has actually got the right idea.

Some awards. Not every award. In life, as in work, Gervais has no inner critic.

Blue Jam

A Zoom background is also an option. Glinner really is surprisingly inept at all this isn't he?

Cuellar

In a cruel irony he may be too debased to grasp, he has become Jen.

TommyTurnips

From the about page of his youtube channel:

QuoteHi, I'm Graham Linehan, writer or co-writer of 'Father Ted', 'Black Books' and 'The IT Crowd'. Presently I am involved in the fight for women's rights alongside some brave and brilliant women and men, but once we win that I'll be back to comedy full-time. Hope you enjoy the videos!

That's quite some delusion isn't it? The idea that he can ever go back to where he was after all of this, also the idea that anything has ever been won by being a dick about it on the internet. What would constitute a win? Like every transsexual in the world is going to put their hands up and say sorry, that they have been proven wrong, promise to stop being transes, they will now use the correct toilet, and all they needed was some persuasion from one of the writers of father ted.

g0m

Quote from: Cuellar on September 15, 2020, 03:58:27 PM
In a cruel irony he may be too debased to grasp, he has become Jen.

Hey, and that explains why he'd thought he had all his tweets backed up, too