Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Smith RIP

Started by Egyptian Feast, July 22, 2020, 09:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Tim Smith's Facebook page has confirmed his passing. Very sad news. I'm sure I'm not the only fan who would possibly have never encountered his work if not for CaB.

Pete23

imitationleather

The Mollusk

This is devastating. I wasn't even the biggest fan (I never took the time to properly get into his work, though I love what I've heard) but I'm so upset about this.

BlodwynPig

Dirty Boy

Absolutely fucking gutted.

Absorb the anus burn

RIP: a great left of field talent.

Pete23

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 22, 2020, 10:14:52 AM
is it a magic eye? does Ronnie Corbett's face appear?

A leaderless starry sky. Not sure even the Phantom Raspberry Blower himself would put a smile on my face today.

Thought he was great in Independence Day and Men In Black but haven't seen any of his recent stuff.

Sin Agog

Refrains from making Cardiac Arrest joke.

RIP it up and start again!  Great band.

Neville Chamberlain

Oh bugger. I think most were semi-prepared for this, but still dreadfully, dreadfully sad news.

Farewell, then, Tim, and thanks for making the most ridiculously brilliant music I've ever heard. It's impossible to state just how much Cardiacs mean to me.

Artie Fufkin

Beagle 2

Sherman Krank

It's worse than that, he's dead Jim.

Arse.

Die time! Jump out of life's egg.
Braced myself for this well in advance, but it doesn't make it any less shitty.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Ah fuck! This is the worst news ever. Genuinely one of the best, if not the. Cardiacs are my absolute favourite band and his music has influenced my interest and exploration of music like absolutely nobody else. There'll never be another Philip Pilf, RIP you absolute beaut

Phil_A

I'm really torn between deep sadness and a sense of relief that he's no longer suffering, as by the sounds of things the last twelve years were absolutely dreadful for the poor guy. Not sure what else to say as I don't think it's properly sunk in yet.

Someone once pointed out to me that almost everyone who was into Cardiacs seems to end up either forming a band or making music their career in some way, which is a lovely legacy to leave behind I think.

Brundle-Fly

I had a feeling this day was coming soon. I saw Tim at that Spratly Japs gig awhile back and it was heartbreaking to see that once whirling dervish of a man, so severely incapacitated. Echoing what Phil A says, the only consolation he is free from twelve years of abject torture. Thanks for everything, sir

A true music hero. Tim Smith
Big RIP.

boki

Bloody gutted.  Such a unique talent, and influenced a whole bunch of folks I'm into. RIP

Egyptian Feast

Just had a listen to On Land And In The Sea for the first time in years. Relentless, jaw-dropping brilliance. Fucking unbelievable that humans can make music like this.

wosl

Very sad.  You could clearly tell he was possessed of an absolutely roaring, protean talent, even when you were looking on from well outside.  RIP.

Egyptian Feast

On Sing To God now and suddenly inspired to dig out a copy of the Holy Bible so I can put my hands on it and scream 'WANK' in tribute. It's what he would've wanted.

chveik

a very talented man. RIP

Enzo

Terrible news to wake up to this morning. An absolutely astonishing composer and human being.

garbed_attic

I'm glad that Tim got to know, over the last decade, the reach of the love people had and have for his work. Gutting all the same. Some deeply beautiful music to rage against the passing of the light with.

Bently Sheds

I got a Google alert on my phone just now to say that Cardiacs have a new album out called The Day That Death Prevailed. The fuck?

Artie Fufkin

That would be Cardiac ARREST.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

He was the perfect counter-argument to the stupid idea that being a genius and being a cunt go naturally hand in hand. I've never heard of anyone who met the guy that had a bad word to say about him.