Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:00:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Frantz - C@nt Or Not?

Started by TheMonk, July 22, 2020, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natnar

It's interesting that all the official Talking Heads promo videos are on Byrne's Youtube channel and not on a separate Talking Heads channel. Does he now own all the rights to Talking Heads stuff?

Cursus

QuoteFrantz fondly recalls the band's 2002 induction [into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame], which doubled as their first reunion in 18 years. (The only downer? "It was not our choice to be inducted by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.")

Sin Agog

Quote from: Natnar on July 22, 2020, 02:54:37 PM
It's interesting that all the official Talking Heads promo videos are on Byrne's Youtube channel and not on a separate Talking Heads channel. Does he now own all the rights to Talking Heads stuff?

Yes, and it's a giant thorn in Alan Bennett's side.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Cursus on July 22, 2020, 03:06:38 PM
Kiedis

I highly recommend his opening speech to anyone who has not seen it already.  He is clearly a deeply stupid man or has an amazing talent for being so convincingly self-effacing that you'd almost certainly never believe he wasn't genuinely as daft as a brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7okCJ6gnak&ab_channel=Rock%26RollHallofFame

kalowski

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on July 22, 2020, 12:14:05 PM
Queen began to split it all equally after a certain point in the 80s in order to quash any quarrelling about credits. It's what Radiohead also do as well as other good bands such as Coldplay and the aforementioned U2.
NTBT.

Goldentony

I have a mate who told me years ago, and I trust him a lot, that more than one person has told him after one night stands with David Byrne that they woke up to him shitting on them while they were asleep, so the old shit story is another excellent piece of the puzzle

Icehaven

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 22, 2020, 12:14:17 PM
Indeed - the impression I got from his book is that Hook feels aggrieved at Gillian Gilbert getting her quarter slice when (in his view) she wasn't contributing much. I've pretty much put that down to him being a twat, though.

I wonder if this is a common thing when there's married couple in a band (as with Frantz and Weymouth too) with there being some sexist thinking that the woman is only in the band because her partner is, and the notion that when it comes to dividing up the money a couple should only get one share between them. I don't know that many other bands with married couples in apart from Sonic Youth (well not anymore) and Arcade Fire.

wosl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 22, 2020, 01:15:14 PM
He doesn't have a lot of time for Eno, either - the producing was so bad they had to call in an engineer to fix it; demanded the band pay for his flights on Concorde; wanted to be a full member of the band, get on the album covers, etc.

An Ending (Dissent), Chris Bantz, etc.  I've only been vaguely aware of the rumblings between Byrne and Frantz, Weymouth and Harrison, but I always thought of Talking Heads as a proper collaborative unit, despite Byrne's spotlight drawing and the others' seeming reticence.  Frantz and Weymouth attended the same design school that Byrne did, while Harrison was an erstwhile architecture student, so they must all have had decent art and culture chops, and would've all been curious about exploring the relationship between ideas and form and so on, even if Byrne alone cultivated the arty persona. It would be cheap to peg them as 'studio assistants', in other words.

ProvanFan

Quote from: non capisco on July 22, 2020, 02:43:20 PM
David Byrne curling out a big tod in a hotel bed and addressing it 'for the maid' is the detail that makes me think he might be a bit of a weird tosspot, or at least was.

Should've gone with "remain in shite"

Famous Mortimer

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 23, 2020, 01:30:20 AM
Should've gone with "remain in shite"
Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 23, 2020, 01:59:51 AM
Fear Of Poosic
Speaking in dungs.

Seriously though, the other guitarist used to do some cracking commentaries for Anglia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfTCPLLpLpE stop posting Twonty you tit 

Famous Mortimer

More Songs About Buildings And Food Babies

famethrowa

samadriel

jobotic

DrGreggles

And She Was... covered in shit

rue the polywhirl

Most of David Byrne's solo career.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

TheMonk

You may find yourself ... sleeping in a shit filled bed

buttgammon

The Great Turd - "the world poos on a woman's hips"

SteveDave

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 22, 2020, 03:43:56 PM
I highly recommend his opening speech to anyone who has not seen it already.  He is clearly a deeply stupid man or has an amazing talent for being so convincingly self-effacing that you'd almost certainly never believe he wasn't genuinely as daft as a brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7okCJ6gnak&ab_channel=Rock%26RollHallofFame

I lasted til he called Eddie Vedder a genius. I don't need to know if he's being "funny", those words never have to be spoken in the same sentence.

MiddleRabbit

jobotic

jobotic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

AND YOU MAY SAY TO YOURSELF, MY TOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

TheMonk

Well the lady don't mind.
No, no, no, the lady don't mind
She just turns her head and grabs the cloth,
I kinda like that style

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on July 22, 2020, 12:18:23 PM
Forgot all about [the The Heads album]. It was really fucking bad.

The Andy Partridge one on that album is a goodun though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 23, 2020, 10:31:11 AM

Is there a list of all the songs he's written for other bands anywhere?

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 23, 2020, 10:31:11 AM

Andy Partridge seemed to have had a fraught time working with Chris and Tina, or "The Frantzs" as he refers to them. He certainly felt ripped off over his share of 'Papersnow' royalties.