Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Frantz - C@nt Or Not?

Started by TheMonk, July 22, 2020, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

I don't find it too hard to imagine David Byrne being a bit shit, his whole image feels extremely curated.

Not so sure he's to blame for people overcrediting him in Talking Heads (especially the good stuff) so much as media in general tends to far prefer the narrative of bands having a singular creative force. The only reason New Order didn't get that that kind of thing is because Bernard Sumner is an impossibly boring person.

PaulTMA

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 23, 2020, 11:15:49 AM
Is there a list of all the songs he's written for other bands anywhere?

Haven't looked here in a long time but probably useful:
http://chalkhills.org/discog/indexg.html#collaborations

If anyone know of a gigantic big download of all this stuff then let me know where to look...

DJ Bob Hoskins

Jockice

I should be team Byrne, basically cos he's my homeboy. But I suspect that Frantz and Weymouth have a point. They were responsible for a huge part of Talking Heads' sound.

And what's the problem with shitting on your sleeping partner? That's practically obligatory in Dumbarton.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on July 24, 2020, 07:41:04 AM
And what's the problem with shitting on your sleeping partner? That's practically obligatory in Dumbarton.

What if you accidentally poo on your partner due to a nasty bout of food poisoning?
Asking for a fiend.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 24, 2020, 08:23:56 AM
What if you accidentally poo on your partner due to a nasty bout of food poisoning?
Asking for a fiend.

Oh that's different. It has to be on purpose otherwise it's not as much fun. Or so I've heard.

(Pulp were another band who split everything equally, once they became big anyway. And I believe that Mark E Smith also did it with whoever happened to be in The Fall at the time. Although that sounds pretty unlikely.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Mark E. Smith was notorious for randomly giving people song writing credits, not crediting folk from whoever was in the group at the time for co- writing a song, or not crediting someone who had actually written the fucking thing.
He was probably pissed, or doing loads of speed, or having an affair behind the back of whoever was his missus at the time, or a tradition, or a charter at something,at the time.

" at the time", there.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Jockice on July 24, 2020, 09:04:48 AM
Oh that's different. It has to be on purpose otherwise it's not as much fun. Or so I've heard.

(Pulp were another band who split everything equally, once they became big anyway. And I believe that Mark E Smith also did it with whoever happened to be in The Fall at the time. Although that sounds pretty unlikely.)

I think they split credits evenly they released as early as Little Girl (With Blue Eyes)?  Which I guess would have been splitting £0 five ways.  Seems like a fair model for them as they would create music together on different combinations over the years, in addition to songs which you might suppose were solely Jarvis.  I'm sure they avoided a lot of ballache over something like Babies, started off at least by Nick Banks, or Common People, being credited to everyone.

Always wondered how Mark Webber felt about not being credited as joint co-writer on Common People, as he only because an official member following that single.  Probably too complicated to add him to the credits later, hence on the album it remains just the five of them for that song.  I'm certain he appreciated being promoted at this point, but wonder he much we would have stood to gain had they done so prior to that single's release.

phantom_power

I think the songwriting credit stuff should be taken with a pinch of salt. Frantz and Weymouth have been accused of similar by Adrian Belew and Andy Partridge so I think it is all just part of the cut and thrust of collaborative music making

I imagine the truth is nothing more interesting than Byrne being a bit driven and letting that get the better of him sometimes and Weymouth/Frantz maybe letting themselves get overlooked a bit and then needing validation later

Jockice

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 24, 2020, 10:15:05 AM
I think they split credits evenly they released as early as Little Girl (With Blue Eyes)?  Which I guess would have been splitting £0 five ways.  Seems like a fair model for them as they would create music together on different combinations over the years, in addition to songs which you might suppose were solely Jarvis.  I'm sure they avoided a lot of ballache over something like Babies, started off at least by Nick Banks, or Common People, being credited to everyone.

Always wondered how Mark Webber felt about not being credited as joint co-writer on Common People, as he only because an official member following that single.  Probably too complicated to add him to the credits later, hence on the album it remains just the five of them for that song.  I'm certain he appreciated being promoted at this point, but wonder he much we would have stood to gain had they done so prior to that single's release.

From what I remember Mark was absolutely chuffed about being asked to join as a full-time member, although I don't know if he missed out on any royalties. He's a bit of a strange bloke though, probably the real weirdo in Pulp.

jobotic

Everyone should get a flat minimum wage hourly rate for the time they put in coming up with a song, then an equal percentage on any profits it generates, with 20% deducted for my expenses for coming up with this scheme. I don't mind buying the squash and Frazzles for the studio from my cut either.

kalowski

This Must Be The Place (to have a poo)

Take Me to the River (so I can wash my dirty bum)

PaulTMA

Quote from: Jockice on July 24, 2020, 11:10:13 AM
From what I remember Mark was absolutely chuffed about being asked to join as a full-time member, although I don't know if he missed out on any royalties. He's a bit of a strange bloke though, probably the real weirdo in Pulp.

Russell Senior's book is rather unkind about him to say the least. 

famethrowa

Quote from: kalowski on July 24, 2020, 10:53:42 PM

Take Me to the River (so I can wash my dirty bum)

Take me to the river
I'll drop one in the water

Sean Ymphs

Don't Worry About The Excrement

non capisco

non capisco

My Life In The Bush Of Ghost Shits

wosl

Making Plippy Ploppy
Once In A Daytime
Girlfriend Is Better (with a peg on her nose)

spaghetamine

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 25, 2020, 01:25:21 AM

you've piqued my interest, spill the beans

Jockice

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 25, 2020, 01:25:21 AM

I don't know Mark very well (oh, did I ever mention that I know Pulp?. He's definitely the one I know least) but there's just something about him...

Anyway, my two anecdotes about him. In the late 80s I did the music stuff for the local paper in Sheffield. There was a great venue called Take Two, which was unfortunately a bit out of the city centre so had difficulty attracting crowds. They started this 'psychedelic' night called The Groovy Fishtank, which actually had some really good bands on, so I set up an interview with the night's founder, a character called Zig.

He came round to the office and while speaking to him he kept making drug references. Which I ignored totally. Not interested. Musicians and young people taking drugs. Not a story in any way. But it was literally every couple of sentences.

At the end of the interview I took him down to the reception. And his final words to me were: "I don't want you mentioning drugs in the article. I know what you journalists are like." Er yeah mate, whatever you say.

I didn't even recognise him as the same bloke when he started appearing on stage with Pulp. He's not exactly charismatic.

Now when I first moved to Sheffield in 1976 I knew literally nobody in the city, so a couple of months later in an attempt to make me feel more at home, my folks put an 11th birthday greeting on the kids' page in the paper I ended up working for. Which was nice. Around the start of the century I got a copy of the page and noticed about four spaces from me a picture and a greeting from the parents of a Mark Webber from Chesterfield. Yes that one.  That's quite funny I thought. So I got in touch with the Pulp People fan club, asking if Mark wanted a copy of it. I received a reply along the lines of: "Mark has told us that he would prefer that you don't publicise this." Fucking hell mate, I wasn't planning to do an exclusive 'pop star used to be a child' story. I just thought it might be of interest to him.

Jarvis's birthday is two days after mine incidentally. It  would have amused me even more if he'd been on that  Junior Star page. But he wasn't.

Jockice

And if we're still doing Talking Heads poo songs, how about Bowels In Motion?

non capisco

jobotic

You're wasting your time.

I've already done Found A Job!

Nothing but Showers (of shite)

Doomy Dwyer

Crosseyed and Painful.

Plopsicle.

Stinking Out the House.

Thank You for Sending me Some Bogroll.

I'm supposed to be working.

ProvanFan

He would see faeces in movies, on TV, in magazines, and in books

He thought that some of the faeces might be right for the maid

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This Must Be The Place ( To Have A Dump)

( You have to imagine David Byrne stood in his hotel bedroom, looking at his bed with a mischevious look on his face, whilst above his head is a " thinks" balloon depicting an image of a hotel maid looking sad, whilst the bed shows evidence of Byrne's bowel movement, with wavy lines coming off it, and flys flying round it)

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 26, 2020, 02:55:32 PM
This Must Be The Place ( To Have A Dump)

Quote from: kalowski on July 24, 2020, 10:53:42 PM

This forum is going to hell.

The Culture Bunker

'Shite During Wartime'

This ain't no toilet, this ain't al fresco
I like shitting around.
No time for bog roll, or clean undies
My arse is stinging now.

PaulTMA

Quote from: spaghetamine on July 25, 2020, 06:22:45 PM
you've piqued my interest, spill the beans

Well he reveals that MW complained a lot was nearly booted off the reunion tour, the road crew never liked him and there are various other digs along the way.  Some spat with RS about their stage setup at a German gig too.  He says Mark is a "fundamentally lovely guy" though.  I think it's probably a bit of a dick move to mention the supposed move to fire him, though.  Unless of course he was really annoying.