Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Deep Space Nine [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 12, 2020, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

DS9 Panel from Star Trek Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJFcJWiQRY

There's Panels for the other shows as well.

purlieu

Quote from: Lemming on September 10, 2020, 07:10:02 PM
I don't mind Keiko, but I always thought O'Brien was a bit of a prick* so maybe I was just projecting myself onto her rather than him in all their scenes together. The first thing I remember about her is her calling O'Brien out on his nonstop racism, I think in "Cardassians", which made me sigh in relief because fucking finally someone steps up and tells him to stop going on and on about THE CARDIES.

*(which is a big part of why his character works, for me)
To be fair, almost every Cardassian - at the point I'm up to - has been a dick. He's definitely got a bit of tedious world-weary soldier about him, but overall I like him so much because he's just a grumpy everyman. "Bloody hell" has almost become a catchphrase for him at this point, and he so clearly just wants to get on with his job and have an easy life and eat his emergency rations - unlike just about every other member of Starfleet that we see - that his meat-and-potatoes outlook is quaintly endearing.

Cloud

The O'Briens just really came across to me as a couple who got together because they were both scared to be alone or felt the need to run the socially expected quarters/shuttlecraft/marriage/kids railroad, but don't actually particularly have any feelings for each other.  The only thing they seem to have in common is Molly.  There's infinitely more chemistry between him and Julian (or to be honest, more chemistry in one of Keiko's primary school science classes.... when she's covering physics...)

Sin Agog

Quote from: Cloud on September 10, 2020, 11:46:20 PM
The O'Briens just really came across to me as a couple who got together because they were both scared to be alone or felt the need to run the socially expected quarters/shuttlecraft/marriage/kids railroad, but don't actually particularly have any feelings for each other.  There's infinitely more chemistry between him and Julian (or to be honest, more chemistry in one of Keiko's primary school science classes.... when she's covering physics...)

That would reflect 90% of the marriages between middle-aged, red-faced whiteys and younger Asian wives I've encountered.

Zetetic

Quote from: JamesTC on September 10, 2020, 09:28:06 PM
Say what you like about the Cardassians, but they made the shuttle crafts run on time.
No, I don't think you could truthfully say that.

purlieu

Quote from: Cloud on September 10, 2020, 11:46:20 PM
The O'Briens just really came across to me as a couple who got together because they were both scared to be alone or felt the need to run the socially expected quarters/shuttlecraft/marriage/kids railroad
I dunno, Miles seems like the sort of person who's a slightly overweight, curly-haired, not overly attractive, nerdy, grumpy Irishman who somehow manages to attract a reasonably attractive, slightly younger woman and gets along fairly well with her and realises that God has dealt him a much higher card than most people in his situation would ever normally get dealt, even if she is fairly bland on a day-to-day basis.

purlieu

Shadowplay. An ok story lifted by some really sweet stuff with Odo. Brief mention of the Dominion again.

purlieu

Playing God. The proto-universe story is something I'd actually like to have seen fleshed out a lot more - were it a more heavily serialised show there could have been some really interesting stuff there. The episode works as a nice chance to see Dax as a more rounded character, though. It's still a Trill-based plot - it'd be nice to see her as just a character not limited to the unique nature of her species - but there was definitely a lot more going on there than in previous Dax stories.

Profit and Loss. We've seen hints of this side of Quark in the past so it doesn't come totally out of the blue, but it's still quite a shock to see him portrayed in this way. My sentimental side really did enjoy it, though, it's always nice to see that side of a character you've grown to like. Garak was great again, and although it's still difficult to work out exactly where his loyalties lie, I like that he falls on the 'good' side of ambiguity.

Blood Oath. Ah, there's more Dax, and she's given a non-Trill-related plot (for the most part). A decent Klingon story, refreshing to have a Klingon tale that isn't based around Duras and the High Council and the Empire. I liked Odo's description of a 'Klingon Afternoon' as well.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: purlieu on September 13, 2020, 11:22:05 AM
Blood Oath. Ah, there's more Dax, and she's given a non-Trill-related plot (for the most part). A decent Klingon story, refreshing to have a Klingon tale that isn't based around Duras and the High Council and the Empire. I liked Odo's description of a 'Klingon Afternoon' as well.

Contains one of my favourite Star Trek exchanges of all time:

"How did you get in here?"
"I am Koloth."
"That doesn't answer my question."
"Yes it does."

purlieu

Yes, the opening section gives the impression it's going to be a comedy Klingon episode. That bit is superb, as is this lovely Odo and Quark exchange:

"Shut off the power."
"He'll kill you!"
"No, he said he'll kill you – shut it off."

Blumf

Also neat how Koloth was played by the same actor from the Trouble with Tribbles episode. Overall just a nice little opening.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Blumf on September 13, 2020, 03:02:17 PM
Also neat how Koloth was played by the same actor from the Trouble with Tribbles episode. Overall just a nice little opening.

They got all three of the original actors for Kor, Kang & Koloth, didn't they?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 13, 2020, 05:30:11 PM

I've done at least three rewatches over the years, and I never knew that.

DS9 really does have my favourite depiction of Klingons.  In fact, most races come across so much less like a singleminded 'I am here to smash', 'I am here for cash', 'I'm a reptilian fash' on board the space station where they could let their hair/scales down a little and drink some primary-coloured luminous liquids together.

purlieu

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 13, 2020, 05:30:11 PM
Doesn't quite tie up with the whole change of image (and its semi-explanation in Enterprise), though, does it?

oy vey

Quote from: purlieu on September 13, 2020, 08:51:04 PM
Doesn't quite tie up with the whole change of image (and its semi-explanation in Enterprise), though, does it?

True, but aside from that it proves DS9 was eager to call back to godfather TOS when it got the chance. Anyway, that last scene in ops was rrrrrrrrrrather sour. Hehe. Good episode.

purlieu

The Maquis. This two parter would definitely benefit from proper chronological integration of TNG and DS9, as being familiar with the titular terrorists lessened some of the impact. Good stuff, though, a really tense story, some great chemistry between Sisko and Dukat, an open enough ending to suggest some further expansion of the story in further episodes, and a sexy Vulcan. What more could you want?

The Wire. Yeah, that was very good. A really excellent two-hander between Bashir and Garak. Genuinely excited to see where they go with Garak's character because that - quite literally - asked more questions than it answered. Some gripping stuff in there. Excellent.

Crossover. There are a couple of good performances here - Kira particularly, Sisko letting himself go, and I also liked Quark's humanitarian side - but fundamentally I find the evil universe idea just way too cartoony. It doesn't stick out quite so much in TOS, but at this point it's really just fucking daft.

samadriel

purlieu

samadriel

purlieu

Yeah!

The Collaborator. More twists and turns than a twisty, turny thing. Lacked any real tension, though. Winn's rise was sadly somewhat predictable - there's no way she'd have been introduced otherwise - and still doesn't quite make sense since she was previously described as an outsider, but it should lead to some potentially interesting stuff down the line. Reasonable episode, possibly most notable for the almost complete lack of any Star Fleet involvement in the plot whatsoever, right down to a character level.

purlieu

Cloud

Heh heh.... you haven't seen the half of the hard time he gets sometimes...

purlieu

I like the fact it was set up by a description of the Cardassian court system earlier in the season. Good bit of seeding there.

greenman

Quote from: purlieu on September 14, 2020, 09:01:54 PM
The Maquis. This two parter would definitely benefit from proper chronological integration of TNG and DS9, as being familiar with the titular terrorists lessened some of the impact. Good stuff, though, a really tense story, some great chemistry between Sisko and Dukat, an open enough ending to suggest some further expansion of the story in further episodes, and a sexy Vulcan. What more could you want?

The Wire. Yeah, that was very good. A really excellent two-hander between Bashir and Garak. Genuinely excited to see where they go with Garak's character because that - quite literally - asked more questions than it answered. Some gripping stuff in there. Excellent.

Crossover. There are a couple of good performances here - Kira particularly, Sisko letting himself go, and I also liked Quark's humanitarian side - but fundamentally I find the evil universe idea just way too cartoony. It doesn't stick out quite so much in TOS, but at this point it's really just fucking daft.

That Maquis episode like the previous stuff on TNG always came across as a bit dry for me but without getting spoilerish they are revisited latter in the show more effectively.

It takes away to get back around to it but the Garak plot is revisting strongly in the next season, one of the highpoints of the show for me.

Arguebly the mirror universe should have stayed limited to that episode in DS9, it tends to all get less interesting and more conventional plus mostly Sisko focused.

purlieu

Quote from: greenman on September 21, 2020, 11:10:12 AM
Arguebly the mirror universe should have stayed limited to that episode in DS9, it tends to all get less interesting and more conventional plus mostly Sisko focused.
Tut tut, spoilers!

The Jem'Hadar. Holy shit. Ok, things are getting serious now. The Dominion are pretty scary as a threat. Always shocking to see a Galaxy Class blown up.

Zetetic

Quote from: purlieu on September 21, 2020, 10:21:32 AM
I like the fact it was set up by a description of the Cardassian court system earlier in the season. Good bit of seeding there.
I do like the Cardassian justice system stuff. They manage to give the impression that it's a long-lasting bit of Cardassian culture, even while they gesture at the relative novelty of the military government.

purlieu

Yeah, we don't often see well-explored aspects of alien cultures.

The Search. Big game-changing two parter to follow on from the end of the second season. Follows on with making the Federation look small and helpless in a way they haven't previously, even against the Borg. They like giving Odo a hard time, don't they? The revelation about his own species was really, really horrible, even though in hindsight it shouldn't have been such a surprise.

Anyway, exciting stuff. I like where this is heading. My only reservation is that the theme tune is far too gentle and stately for this kind of thing. They should have done what Babylon 5 did by upping the drama in the theme every series.

Quote from: purlieu on September 23, 2020, 01:46:43 PM
My only reservation is that the theme tune is far too gentle and stately for this kind of thing. They should have done what Babylon 5 did by upping the drama in the theme every series.

The theme is surely one of the dreariest ever recorded and it seems go on for bloody aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

purlieu

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on September 23, 2020, 03:42:21 PM
The theme is surely one of the dreariest ever recorded and it seems go on for bloody aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.
I actually rather like it - it's slow because it's a station rather than a fast-flying ship - but it's just totally wrong for "oh shit the anti-Federation are coming to kill us all".