Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,475
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kutiman - Wachaga (gorgeous new psych-jazz collage album)

Started by The Mollusk, July 22, 2020, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

This chap is quite well-regarded, possibly best known online for racking up a few million views apiece on his innovative ThruYou video series on YouTube, where he'd find individual instrumental jams/practice videos and chop them up and splice them together to make fully formed songs. Way back in the dusty old pioneer times of 2009 this was quite unheard of, and he did a fuckin' good job of it to boot.

I hadn't heard of him before clocking a track from "Wachaga" on the radio a few weeks back and so all of this is new to me, but this new album is really something to behold. Yer man went out to Tanzania in 2014 and recorded a shit-load of content. Everything from field sounds to dance and music performances. Six years later, the material is here on "Wachaga" with added studio playing which expands this raw, traditional and off-the-cuff sound recording project into 9 beautifully realised psychedelic jazzy pieces.

The results, as Brian Butterfield would say, have been incredible. One of those albums where you find yourself drifting away from whatever you were doing whilst listening and just getting absorbed in it. On top of that, the bugger's only gone and put together a video for each track, using "vintage analogue techniques and gear including a rare 1980s Fairlight CVI video synthesiser, a Videonics equaliser and a Panasonic mx50 video mixer." I've seen and admired video content made like this before, but here it is probably used to the most satisfying effect. Stunning textures galore, this is a real feast for the senses.

The full album video playlist is here.

The first track I heard which made me drop everything and Shazam it is here, if you want a quicker example of how good this thing is.

The Mollusk

Bumping this because it will blates get swallowed and forgotten about otherwise

spaghetamine

This sounds like exactly my kind of vibe, will investigate shortly, cheers for sharing

Twit 2