Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"A OWL?" - Rewatching PhoneShop

Started by The Mollusk, July 22, 2020, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

now we know why they call my man Lance, innit

paruses

Jerwayne doing the breathless spinster being seduced impression is... I don't know what the word is. Brilliant. Disturbing. Arousing.

Utter Shit

Tom Bennett is fantastic I think, although he does start off a bit too much like Brent. His attempts to blend in with their patois (and then especially when he pretends he is actually Jamaican) are so funny. De cowcow botta

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 23, 2020, 01:43:30 PM
Tom Bennett is fantastic I think, although he does start off a bit too much like Brent.

I thought he was very Brentish on first watch, but over the years that's worn off for me - I've also noticed that quite a few twentysomethings on YouTube have some Brentesque characteristics in the same way (Jaackmaate/Stephen Tries etc).

I've grown to appreciate Tom Bennet's performance over subsequent rewatches, the five main parts are all very well done.

Captain Z

https://mobile.twitter.com/lance_crisp?lang=en

Lance's twitter account. The tweets match up exactly with the references in S3E4.

Captain Z

"the rug that we lay on is divine..."

Cut to: burned-in iron mark on Travelodge carpet.

The Mollusk

Hahaha fucking hell that Travelodge scene. Christopher popping up in the tuxedo wagging a finger sensually had me losing it.

The cast have an exceptional way with language, the way a word is used or pronounced or repeated, how to make a somewhat amusing line really funny. Lance pretending to be the Chilean miner and Ashley's trying to get him to go away so he can chat up a woman and he's like "DO YOU WANNA GO TOILET" really loud and condescending as though he's talking to a child. Brilliant.

paruses

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 23, 2020, 02:46:00 PM
Hahaha fucking hell that Travelodge scene. Christopher popping up in the tuxedo wagging a finger sensually had me losing it.

The cast have an exceptional way with language, the way a word is used or pronounced or repeated, how to make a somewhat amusing line really funny. Lance pretending to be the Chilean miner and Ashley's trying to get him to go away so he can chat up a woman and he's like "DO YOU WANNA GO TOILET" really loud and condescending as though he's talking to a child. Brilliant.

Yes! For something so cartoonish the sudden appearence with the cava (French for champagne) had me too.

They reference cava an awful lot. Was it very fashionable then? Like prosecco now.

Just watched the Chilean miner ep. Love how Lance is bricking it and then it goes to House of Pain and he loves it. The shoveling dance move killed me.

Captain Z

Prosecco is 'Italian for champagne' at some point I'm sure.

'RioJa' also comes up.

The Mollusk

I wonder how many times there's been a joke about someone mispronouncing or misunderstanding a type of wine? Zap Brannigan has done it, as have Kath and Kim.

spaghetamine

Captain Z

QuoteYou smashing that, then?

Yeahhh... oh yeah, I'm smashing that all over the fucking shop... as well as smashing others all over other shops all the fucking time. I fucking smash stuff up. I am a smasher. You a... you smashing?

Oh Yeah.

Oh yeah. Smashing.

Text doesn't do it justice. His reluctance to say the word 'fucking', as well as his instant change of tone as Ray snatches his hand away.

Mobius

Just rewatched the first 3 episodes and I'd forgotten how funny this show was.

I like the bleaker and more disgusting shot looking down from above with Lance gripping the rim of the toilet bowl when Janine comforts him for being boring and sick in the cubicle.

paruses

Just watching Spaced. Only really have dim memories of it from first time round to be honest. Really recognised the voice of Derek from the comic shop Silent Reading. Then been listening to it and staring at his face. It's only Lance, isn't it?

Captain Z

Lance is by far my favourite character of his, but he's probably most famous as Simon's dad in The Inbetweeners. He pops up quite a lot here and there, and I've only just learned it now but is credited as a writer/contributor to a long list of well-known comedy/panel/standup shows:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0872040/#writer

Here he is as a member of Bill Bailey's Kraftwerk in Part Troll:

https://youtu.be/dwaxWoJPUC0?t=85

Mobius

He's been around forever and is really underrated yeah. Co-wrote 15 Storeys High and was funny as the bloke who eat Vince's sandwich. Ashley was in 15 Storeys too as the customer when Errol is working in that hardware shop.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Mobius on July 30, 2020, 10:04:24 PM
Ashley was in 15 Storeys too as the customer when Errol is working in that hardware shop.

Was he? I have it in my head that it was Ben Willbond.

jobotic

Mobius

Quote from: jobotic on July 30, 2020, 10:57:41 PM
Isn't he the fish market guy?

Actually yeah he was https://youtu.be/lQn7R3tU-oI?t=286

I think Trenaman played more than 1 character? I remember him eating a sandwich with Vince's character so presumably he played someone who worked at the swimming bar too.

The Mollusk

Yeah he plays at least two roles, the fish market manager and the pool maintenance guy. Vince loses a bet and has to sit with him during lunch at the swimming baths, so he gives Trenaman a sandwich with dodgy ham in it which makes him sick so Vince doesn't have to spend the time with him.

Some brilliant physical comedy from Trenaman as that pool guy. Licking his dinner plate whilst intermittently repeating the same line of a joke he's telling, and his overall hyperactive demeanour and the way he eats the sandwich. Ah he's great.

ASFTSN

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 08:27:29 AM
Some brilliant physical comedy from Trenaman as that pool guy. Licking his dinner plate whilst intermittently repeating the same line of a joke he's telling, and his overall hyperactive demeanour and the way he eats the sandwich. Ah he's great.

"Do you want that? Do you want that? Do you want that?"

Fried egg held aloft, getting closer and closer to his mouth as he makes sure Vince doesn't want it.

ASFTSN

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2020, 08:27:29 AM
Yeah he plays at least two roles, the fish market manager and the pool maintenance guy.

He also plays the gallows stocks technician!

paruses

Can't think of anyone who can make a simple thing along the lines of "naah. Shouldn't think so. Could be though" so funny with such little visie effort. Always enjoy watching him in whatever it is. Have to say I had him down as a sort of jobbing comedy actor who was a solid choice. Didn't realise he was so accomplished.

Also - the credits for S2 are fucking awful. On purpose I suppose but jesus.

petril

from talkback Thames, a Freemantle Meeja Company!

Famous Mortimer

Thanks to the link on page 1, I just rewatched the pilot, and noticed this. I must have been aware of it at the time, but...those were the days, eh?

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Fuck, Andrew Brooke was the robot gunslinger in A Town Called Mercy