Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v2: a beige loafer stamping on a human face forever

Started by pancreas, July 23, 2020, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 19, 2020, 08:53:43 PM
Staggeringly shit slogan, surely it brings to mind restaurants that gave a load of people salmonella trying to relaunch with "under new management"

Being cynical, I suspect that's exactly what they're aiming for.

I feel a bit sorry for Keith. He's obviously the sacrificial lamb offered to New Labour's backers to atone for the sin of democracy.

EDIT: although in the sense that this is where all of his conscious and deliberate choices have led him, and that he has been and will continue to be handsomely rewarded for his role as gatekeeper of all political activism to the left of fascism, obviously I think he's getting everything he deserves.

jobotic

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/19/sir-david-garrard-quit-labour-antisemitism-rejoin

Phew! We've got the multi-millionaire property developer tax avoiders back on board.

Look at what he says - it's not antisemitism he objected to, it was criticism of apartheid Israel.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on September 20, 2020, 08:22:09 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/19/sir-david-garrard-quit-labour-antisemitism-rejoin

Phew! We've got the multi-millionaire property developer tax avoiders back on board.

Look at what he says - it's not antisemitism he objected to, it was criticism of apartheid Israel.

Scum

QuoteAfter leaving the party, he has provided funding on several occasions to Tom Watson in addition to his support for The Independent Group

Paul Calf

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on September 18, 2020, 06:43:26 PM
Fuck off you spineless fucking frog boy.

Because obviously they would be paying him all that money to curtail their profits by instigating responsible gambling. That's who business works isn't it. You pay consultants to find ways for you to not make as much money by curbing any unethical behaviour

BlodwynPig

I hope Tom Watson wakes up one morning and he is back to gargantuan fatness and then he sees a winch coming through his window and hears sirens outside.

imitationleather

It's impossible to justify a Labour person having any involvement in the gambling industry.

Of course, it was Labour who massively relaxed the rules on gambling in the first place. That was a huge mistake and something that needs to be corrected. It brings misery on to the exact people that Labour is supposed to be improving the lives of.

Tom Watson is such a tosser. It's almost unbelievable what a bad guy he is.

olliebean

Very underwhelming performance from Starmer on Marr this morning. Basically refusing to commit Labour to any policies other than "Whatever the government does, we'll support it."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2020, 12:34:47 PM
Very underwhelming performance from Starmer on Marr this morning. Basically refusing to commit Labour to any policies other than "Whatever the government does, we'll support it."

Dawn Butler confirmed yesterday that this was a strategy to avoid any voting group turning against them.

NoSleep

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on September 20, 2020, 03:17:01 PM
Is there an upcoming election then?

"Primed and ready for 2024"

I assume they think the voters have short attention spans and I guess that is true. But they are really canning people like us and going after the people who don't give a fuck about others.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 20, 2020, 02:53:23 PM
Dawn Butler confirmed yesterday that this was a strategy to avoid any voting group turning against them.

Have they realised various voting groups are already turned against them?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 20, 2020, 03:21:52 PM
Have they realised various voting groups are already turned against them?

You'll have to ask them, I work for the government now.

olliebean

Apart from the voting group that would rather the opposition didn't promise to support whatever measures the government takes, presumably.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on September 20, 2020, 03:17:01 PM
Is there an upcoming election then?

Starmer seems to be blissfully unaware that the tories are already building the narrative for Austerity 2.0, as mentioned in this thread on the public sector pay freeze. He's going to let them do what they did after the 2008 financial crash, isn't he?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2020, 05:54:19 PM
Apart from the voting group that would rather the opposition didn't promise to support whatever measures the government takes, presumably.
Who, as has been proved by numerous posts in this thread, will never not vote for Labour. They don't care about them because they don't have to.

Johnny Yesno

Here, she states that she's missing the fight with the tories: https://youtu.be/bW28JkVtU84?t=2059

And from the same video, one of the Left Out journalists expresses the same doubts that we have been expressing here about this strategy: https://youtu.be/bW28JkVtU84?t=1576

olliebean

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on September 20, 2020, 06:07:44 PM
Starmer seems to be blissfully unaware that the tories are already building the narrative for Austerity 2.0, as mentioned in this thread on the public sector pay freeze. He's going to let them do what they did after the 2008 financial crash, isn't he?

I'm sure he'll eventually get around to criticising them for not doing it well enough.

idunnosomename

would you like to be angry about the state of political commentary? then click here and shake your fist with gay abandon!

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1307732305876848641

Paul Calf

I saw that. Wee JOBby admitting that he thought that a lazy eugenics-touting fascist with a track history of lying and cheating was a better bet than a mainstream social democrat.

This should be the end of his credibility, but obviously it won't be.

SpiderChrist

That's fucking amazing. Unbelievable that you would consider Johnson a preferable choice to Corbyn.

This country really is completely fucked, isn't it? No hope anymore. Just keep drinking and taking drugs until it all inevitably collapses. Feel utterly ashamed that I brought a child into this world. She started Uni on Saturday and has nothing to look forward to.

Bazooka

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 21, 2020, 08:28:54 AM
She started Uni on Saturday and has nothing to look forward to.

Not with that attitude she won't! Freshers fair.

jobotic

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 21, 2020, 08:28:54 AM
That's fucking amazing. Unbelievable that you would consider Johnson a preferable choice to Corbyn.

This country really is completely fucked, isn't it? No hope anymore. Just keep drinking and taking drugs until it all inevitably collapses. Feel utterly ashamed that I brought a child into this world. She started Uni on Saturday and has nothing to look forward to.

No hope at all. I have two small children. Can't even fall back on drink and drugs.

holyzombiejesus

We're doing our CLP nominations tomorrow. Think we get 9 votes each in a secret ballot and the 6 on the Momentum slate are already nominated and seconded. Any recommendations for another 3 that are standing? Think I'll be giving Vince "Centrism incarnate" Barry a swerve.

https://labour.org.uk/activist-hub/governance-and-legal-hub/ballots-and-nominations/candidate-statements-2020/nec-clp-section-div-iii-statements/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That isn't a real person surely. His head and neck are about sixteen times the size of the rest of him.

pancreas

You could go with the Labour Left Alliance top three?

Roger Silverman
Chaudhry Iqbal
Carol Taylor-Spedding

holyzombiejesus

I think I will do. Steve Maggs and Alec Price seem pretty good too.

Mohammed Hemmatjou seems a bit of a wild card...

QuoteHello there, I left party twice because of Ed milaband and Jermyn Corbyn. I been my local branch 90 percent old or middle age white peoples own them house nice comfortable life . I have had enough now my time we need party for 21 century not anymore those old fashioned idea or people.