Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v2: a beige loafer stamping on a human face forever

Started by pancreas, July 23, 2020, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

chveik

Buelligan

The odd thing is, to me anyway, when you read those words, they're words.  Horrible words but that's all.  But when you pause and think clearly about what they mean, what those permissions really mean, that's a whole nother thing.  That's something so horrific, it's hard to imagine anyone who's not a monstrous complete psychopath even contemplating such a law.

Imagine feeling able to abstain on something like that.  If you'd really thought about what it meant.

Do you want anyone who can abstain like that deciding your future?

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone heard a peep out of Jess Phillips over this? One would think the sexual/domestic lying aspects would fall right within her purview.

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on October 06, 2020, 08:11:26 PM
#StarmerOutstanding is trending on Twitter. Apparently we should all stand by the Labour leader and ignore all his faults because he is the only chance of getting the Tories out. I don't remember these mealy-mouthed cunts being that vocal about getting behind the last Labour leader.

Are these the same mealy-mouthed cunts who told us the Lib Dems were our best chance of getting the Tories out in the last election?

idunnosomename

the abstaining rather than voting against. why the fuck are they doing that. seriously. i dont get politics perhaps

Buelligan

It's so that no one can accuse them of taking sides against people getting away with murder.  It just wouldn't play well to have a position on something like that.

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54444143
QuoteA meeting of the Unite union executive has decided to cut its affiliation money to the Labour Party by about 10%, BBC Newsnight understands.

Unite is the Labour Party's single biggest donor, providing the party with millions in funding every year.

But there is anger in the union about Labour's direction under Sir Keir Starmer with a source saying he and his inner team were "just not listening".

The Labour Party has so far not commented on the decision.

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on October 06, 2020, 09:47:54 PM
The odd thing is, to me anyway, when you read those words, they're words.  Horrible words but that's all.  But when you pause and think clearly about what they mean, what those permissions really mean, that's a whole nother thing.  That's something so horrific, it's hard to imagine anyone who's not a monstrous complete psychopath even contemplating such a law.

Imagine feeling able to abstain on something like that.  If you'd really thought about what it meant.

Do you want anyone who can abstain like that deciding your future?

I have to deal with this in a microcosm myself. People who cannot understand words. People who cannot connect the words they use with wider moral imperatives. People who are morally and intellectually vacuous.

I tell them they are behaving like arseholes. I tell them this to their faces. It is extremely liberating. But it is not, in itself, progress.

I can insist on process. I can escalate through whatever structures we have left, hoping that eventually I find a pinch point where logic rubs against reality. In effect, eventually, I hope that someone agrees with me.

Given that I am right about everything, this is no way to run a fucking ballroom.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Keith feels hard among his triennial commission mates for standing up to the unions

Buelligan

I won't say I hate him (I don't wish him dead or anything like that) but I really hate what he's doing.  I really do.

How can anyone watch his cynical leadership election video now and not feel angry?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yru2Ridk0

pancreas

Buelligan

I abstain but am not completely averse to the idea of fully badged members of the secret services using his orifices to pleasure themselves in any way they see fit and, if that results in his untimely and painful death, tant pis.  Hardly my fault.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 07, 2020, 12:00:57 AM
the abstaining rather than voting against. why the fuck are they doing that. seriously. i dont get politics perhaps

I don't think there's any coherent strategy to it really, it just comes down to a near-total absence of courage, conviction, forward vision or basic imagination among the collection of utter mediocrities who have largely dominated the party since the implosion of Blair and are now safely back in the saddle again. These people subscribe to a bog-standard brand of centrism that basically amounts to sitting back and hoping that the old neoliberal consensus will magically reassert itself and they'll get to do New Labour again if they just keep the faith and continue to hold the left at bay. Their philosophy simply isn't equipped to conceive of electoral politics being used as a means of pursuing a coherent ideological project and they will reliably respond with total paralysis whenever the Tories do exactly that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Do people here believe that a Starmer led Labour Party would have initiated the furlough scheme? I think he'd have been so terrified of doing anything so interventionist they'd have hand wrung about it for months, then announced some lame dribble that was less than half what the Tories have done.

Corbyn's time as leader has shown that our adversaries are to be feared but not to be cowed by. They are to be confronted over and over again until their mask slips, as it did. Starmer so far has expressed only one thing: that the Labour movement and everyone in it should be terrified of our opponents and not confront them, indeed we should grovel and beg for forgiveness in the hope of receiving a mildly supportive editorial from a print newspaper in 8 years time.

It isn't 2010 you fucking idiot. We know our enemies are not as strong as they portray. The cat is out of the bag. Instead of launching a counter offensive he's begging for sanctuary from our mortal enemies. Fucking unreal. Do the soft left do anything except abstain or capitulate?

Cuellar

Fambo Number Mive

Buelligan

And the spooks can have Ben Bradshaw and all.  Do whatever you must to this man, for the good of everyone.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1313796834675044353

Buelligan

ALSO, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE START A NEW THREAD IF WE'RE HAVING ONE.  I CAN'T BECAUSE I'M AFRAID OF CHOOSING AN UNPOPULAR NAME AND BEING MADE TO LOOK LIKE A DIV BY THE OTHERS. 

I AM ABSTAINING.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on October 07, 2020, 03:52:22 PM
ALSO, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE START A NEW THREAD IF WE'RE HAVING ONE.  I CAN'T BECAUSE I'M AFRAID OF CHOOSING AN UNPOPULAR NAME AND BEING MADE TO LOOK LIKE A DIV BY THE OTHERS. 

I AM ABSTAINING.

I'll take the hit

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=83007.new#new

phantom_power

Ash Sarkar getting stick for saying she was "crucified" over her support of Corbyn. These cunts and useful idiots know no depths