Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:35:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v2: a beige loafer stamping on a human face forever

Started by pancreas, July 23, 2020, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Just saw this - Woman behind Corbyn legal fundraiser failed to mention role in administering £330k in donations in the Jewish Chronicle

The big shock-horror reveal being that the woman who set up the original funding initiative failed to explicitly mention that she's joined the board of the company set up afterwards to administer the fund, when writing to donors.  Although the article mentions that
QuoteMs Morgan had launched her appeal on the Go Fund Me website on July 22 after the BBC journalist John Ware said he was considering suing the former Labour leader for libel in relation to comments he made about the party's decision to settle a case over a Panorama expose of antisemitism.

It fails to mention that the Jewish Chronicle is now owned by a consortium, one of whose members is that same John Ware.

So that's this morning's dose of hypocrisy out of the way nice and early.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/jewish-chronicle-under-new-ownership-as-consortiums-very-generous-offer-accepted/

Phil_A

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on July 24, 2020, 09:41:08 PM
Fair enough and I take your points on board.

I do belive Starmer is a fundamentally decent bloke, especially in direct compairson to right wing hawks like Ian Duncan smith, Johnson etc,  and I do belive that he wants to enact change.

I just don't think the kind of sweeping changes that Corbynistas aspire to are realistic in one big bang.  I think the only way  to eventually end up with a better, fairer society is through small incremental change, and that starts with the electorate believing that they have a realistic choice between the labour party and the conservatives.  I think Starmer provides this.

I'm just going to keep requoting cos I'm sure it'll age really, really well.

You really are a fucking idiot, aren't you? Just an utterly gullible moron. This what you believe in, and it's nothing. Just utter cringing capitulation to the established order. Still, keep on fighting hard for those miniscule concessions to equality, comrade!

Twit 2

It is astonishing. Apart from the fact it's a grubby opinion entirely devoid of compassion ("What needs to happen is for lots of people who are already suffering to be even worse off, maybe die, while I wait it out from my position of privilege."), it is just the laziest parroting of pure propaganda there is. Utterly unimaginative, feeble drivel that you could read in any BTL comments in any God-awful rag. It's like you sent a SAE away to a PO Box in Shitterton asking for the most beige, evil claptrap they could muster. They kept your envelope so you got your political opinions from a waste water pipe instead. ARE YOU NOT EMBARRASSED? It's shite. Drivel. Pish. Do better.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on August 12, 2020, 09:46:02 AM
Just saw this - Woman behind Corbyn legal fundraiser failed to mention role in administering £330k in donations in the Jewish Chronicle

The big shock-horror reveal being that the woman who set up the original funding initiative failed to explicitly mention that she's joined the board of the company set up afterwards to administer the fund, when writing to donors.  Although the article mentions that
It fails to mention that the Jewish Chronicle is now owned by a consortium, one of whose members is that same John Ware.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/jewish-chronicle-under-new-ownership-as-consortiums-very-generous-offer-accepted/

Fucking bottom scraping rag. A useful tool.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

But why do better when he can self-appoint as CaB's very own Adult In The Room?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Phil_A on August 12, 2020, 09:46:44 AM

You really are a fucking idiot, aren't you? Just an utterly gullible moron. This what you believe in, and it's nothing. Just utter cringing capitulation to the established order. Still, keep on fighting hard for those miniscule concessions to equality, comrade!

A man whose greatest joy in life was hearing the ping from the automatic door locking on his new Ford Mondeo back in 1998.

"This it... I have arrived".

BlodwynPig

Twit 2

Has any man who's worn pointy shoes in history not been an enormous cunt?

Sebastian Cobb

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2020, 10:35:56 AM
Could you change that to 'brown pointy shoes' please?

Having seen your photo, I'm guessing you are a pointy shoe type man (black shoe, not cunt, but still pointy shoe).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 12, 2020, 10:46:06 AM
Having seen your photo, I'm guessing you are a pointy shoe type man (black shoe, not cunt, but still pointy shoe).

I have one pair of shoes, they are a bit pointy but they don't really get worn unless someone's getting married or put in the ground.

Sebastian Cobb

notjosh

Interesting interview with Noam Chomsky about how progressive change could be achieved under a Biden administration:
https://the.ink/p/noam-chomsky-wants-you-to-vote-for

Technically one for the US elections thread, but it seems relevant here. His view is basically that elections should be just a brief time-out in a cycle of constant activism.

Quote from: Noam ChomskyTake Biden's campaign positions. Farther to the left than any Democratic candidate in memory on things like climate. It's far better than anything that preceded it. Not because Biden had a personal conversion or the DNC had some great insight, but because they're being hammered on by activists coming out of the Sanders movement and others. The climate program, a $2 trillion commitment to dealing with the extreme threat of environmental catastrophe, was largely written by the Sunrise Movement and strongly endorsed by the leading activists on climate change, the ones who managed to get the Green New Deal on the legislative agenda. That's real politics.

BlodwynPig

Johnny Yesno

He is one of a hardcore of sneering obsessives who don't stand for anything apart from relentlessly attacking people who have actual ideas yet he has the brass neck to wank on and on about cranks and cultists. He really is a top tier cunt and an exemplar of everything that's wrong with so-called 'centrist' thinking.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 12, 2020, 11:44:45 AM
He is one of a hardcore of sneering obsessives who don't stand for anything apart from relentlessly attacking people who have actual ideas yet he has the brass neck to wank on and on about cranks and cultists. He really is a top tier cunt and an exemplar of everything that's wrong with so-called 'centrist' thinking.

worse than that

holyzombiejesus

It's not just that though, is it? He'll come on here and crow and goad when things have gone badly for the left, makes him nothing more than a third rate Paulie/ TFM. Pointless little dickshit.

Sin Agog

I remember Mrs Wogan being really sweet to me when I started a bad news thread, and then another time when I snapped my leg in twain.  I don't think they're a low-key Paulie.  Obviously a Blairite, but I'm still grateful to them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

And like them, after engaging in third rate dickshittery hides away under his little rock until things have cooled down and there's another opportunity to start fresh. Doesn't have the balls to face up to anything.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: notjosh on August 12, 2020, 11:09:12 AM
Interesting interview with Noam Chomsky about how progressive change could be achieved under a Biden administration:
https://the.ink/p/noam-chomsky-wants-you-to-vote-for

Technically one for the US elections thread, but it seems relevant here. His view is basically that elections should be just a brief time-out in a cycle of constant activism.

This is quite a myopic view, though. How many times have campaigns fought for promises of reforms, only to have them not delivered? And why elect someone who's shown in the past that he will actively fight against implementing many of the more popular reforms (like Medicare for All, in this instance)?

Chomsky doesn't have much interest in electoral politics (he was a self-described anarchist, last time I checked) and while I admire a lot of what he's done, I think he's wrong about this. I agree we should always be agitating for things we believe in, and activism is very important, but these things are a lot easier when the people you elect agree with you.

NoSleep

Surely all he's saying is that campaigning and lobbying for change forces politicians to change accordingly.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on July 24, 2020, 09:41:08 PM
...I think the only way  to eventually end up with a better, fairer society is through small incremental change...

In English, there is a word for this. It's 'conservatism'.

olliebean

Quote from: Buelligan on August 12, 2020, 09:46:02 AM

Never mind hypocrisy, it's also a lie: https://skwawkbox.org/2020/08/11/excl-jewish-chronicle-publishes-more-fake-news-to-smear-corbyn-and-supporters-no-carole-morgan-did-not-fail-to-mention-role-in-administering-donations/

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NoSleep on August 12, 2020, 01:59:10 PM
Surely all he's saying is that campaigning and lobbying for change forces politicians to change accordingly.
It forces them to make lip service towards change. Look at the 2008 financial crisis, when there were huge protests and a popular movement to reform the banks. Obama did next to nothing. Look at right now, when there's an enormous movement for Medicare For All, and it's popular with a majority of voters. How has that moved Biden? It hasn't, is the answer. You know what else works to bring about change? Voting for people who actually want to do it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/12/met-deputy-commissioner-condemns-trial-social-media-following/

"The officers ran a number plate check on the vehicle. At this stage, the officers still didn't know who the occupants of the car were, including their ethnicity because the car windows were tinted.

Buelligan

QuoteTinted vehicle windows: the law
The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985
The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules
http://www.dynamictinting.co.uk/law/