Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Diet and exercise post-lockdown

Started by Blue Jam, July 23, 2020, 03:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Now the time has come to stop consuming junk food and wine in front of Netflix, what are we all gonna do? Apart from consuming junk food and wine in front of snooker at the pub?

Been cycling here. This pandemic has reminded me that I own a perfectly good bike and didn't really need to be paying £53 a month for a ridacard, and another £53 a month for a gym to compensate for all that sitting on my arse on buses.

Anyone here planning on going back to the gym and touching everyone else's sweat on the equipment? Or have you also got other plans?

bgmnts

Step 1: Cry.
Step 2: Spend a few hours compiling a workout playlist.
Step 3: Convince myself its all pointless anyway.

Rinse and repeat.

shiftwork2

In fairly urgent need of some exercise to counteract stress and poor sleep so I'll be checking the gym out at the weekend.  I assume most punters will stay away at first.  It should be possible to run a safe gym provided they've removed enough kit, installed screens between what remains and - most importantly - if the customers actually clean down after use.  We shall see.

Diet, well yes I need to go on one cheers for reminding me...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Gyms are disgusting foetid shitholes rank with every purged waste gas, liquid and solid known to man or mineral, absolute nexus of pestilent foulness and despair.

Sorry no wait meant hat shops

Cheers

Chedney Honks

Exercise bike while I play on the Switch and some Ring Fit Adventure.

Sebastian Cobb

Reckon I might just continue doing that, cheers.

Cuellar

Remember, if you want to sniff the static cycle seats at the gym, you now have to do it from two metres away and through a sheet of perspex.

DrGreggles

My gym opens on Saturday and, as a pre-lockdown fat man who is now a lockdown even fatter man, I need my exercise routine back.
I fucking hate going but, if I'm not working out in the gym, I'm not working out at all.

They've been in touch about booking a slot, and there's a video showing the new layout - it all looks good.
Not sure I'm ready though. I'll send a canary friend in first and await their report.

rue the polywhirl

What's a gym? I used to know but that was from the before time in the long-long-ago. The great outdoors now fulfills all my running needs. I rarely ever bothered with running much at all until lockdown and then I took advantage of the one exercise per day rule by going everyday out for 30 - 120 mins. Nowadays I still average about 50km a week and also have an intermittent fast thing going on. I aggressively watch as much Netflix and Prime as I did during lockdown.

Cuellar

Apparently the gym I used to go to in the before time has been boasting that they'll be cleaning all the equipment every 20 days, when they reopen.

I shan't be hurrying back, although I do want to. I was just hitting a bench press stride before this all happened.

tao of wub

I have never been one of the gym goers.  Pretty much everyday I have gone for a couple of hours walk in the woods and forced myself through alternately, some push ups one day and less push ups the next.

I could be in better shape though, as I have been eating too much stuff like bread.

After lots of healthy cooking in the initial months, I am now tired of it as it is only for me, so have fallen back on eating lumps of cheese or spoonfuls of peanut butter.

Just taken this 1kg loaf out of the oven though.

thenoise

All you smug walk/run cunts need reminding: within the next couple of weeks its gonna start raining, cold windy rain, and it isn't going to stop until May 2021. You still going to be plodding about in some bullshit park?

I love swimming, it's about the only exercise I can do without feeling physical pain afterwards, and I'm very much not a fan of pain. Will the pool ever be safe though? I mean, was it ever?

Blue Jam

Poobum

Quote from: thenoise on July 23, 2020, 10:10:40 PM
All you smug walk/run cunts need reminding: within the next couple of weeks its gonna start raining, cold windy rain, and it isn't going to stop until May 2021. You still going to be plodding about in some bullshit park?

Love a smug 20 mile walk in the lovely cold rain, stomping through the East Midlands countryside. I splash through puddles and throw my head back with laughter. Great thing about rain is it puts off other people, so I don't have to get increasingly anxious and annoyed by folk having the temerity to walk in the opposite direction towards me.

April, and May, I learned how to drink vodka (two beers a year is my usual limit due to being on antidepressants). Two litres in 5 days was they low point, leading to a week of being bed bound with the worst migraine I've ever had, and not pooping (at all, not just in bed). Also led to me not being able to think of cheeseburgers without my stomach turning, that being the last thing I ate before the bad times. Doing the walking now, martial arts training is back on. Also doing weights, almost have muscles now.

thenoise

Weird, when I am on the sauce I shit all day.

poo

shiftwork2

Quote from: poo on July 24, 2020, 09:20:36 AM
anycunt in a gym is a cunt

Tempted to agree with you but it's easy (and warm, dry and lit in winter) so I do actually go.

Dusty Substance

I had to take a bag of shirts to the chazza last week as I've outgrown a bunch of them during lockdown so, yes, my quarantine indulgence is well and truly over.

A few weeks ago I was doing sit-ups every day, increasing the amount of sit-ups each day until I did my back in. So that little regime went out the proverbial window.

You would literally have to pay me to go the gym.

So it seems an exercise bike is the best course of action for me. I like the idea of being able to exercise at home, on my own, watching/listening to what ever I want, with the option of jumping straight into a cool bath straight afterwards.

Blue Jam

I popped in to H&M last week to ask if they were still doing the clothes recycling thing and the guy said yes, we're accepting clothes again. The next day I dragged three big heavy bags of clothes up there only to be told that actually, no, we can't accept clothes because of the pandemic, sorry. Chucked them all in the bin outside. I felt bad sending clothes to landfill but what can you do? These ones were all too old and worn for the chazzas.

Back on topic, my clothes still all fit but I think I did put a bit of weight on. Been losing it slowly but it's possibly because I've been gaining muscle. Getting proper cyclist's thighs again and I can see the definition of my quads. What the hell, I never did have the legs for a miniskirt.

I like the exercise bike idea too but I haven't really got the space for one and I'd be worried that if I got one it would just end up being an expensive clothes dryer. The gym worked out for me because I could watch Netflix while working out but I had to watch Netflix to stop the workout feeling so mind-numbingly boring and pointless. I like cycling on a real bike because you're getting from A to B and the exercise is just a bonus. I have never liked exercising for its own sake, exercise in the course of getting some actual work done suits me better.

Caught up with some friends at the pub earlier in the week and it seems we've all either taken up cycling or bought an exercise bike or running machine.

Blue Jam

I did consider getting a mini-stepper thing so I can exercise while watching telly but then I remembered I bought one years ago and couldn't figure out how to work it. Sounds daft I know but I couldn't get the right rhythm to actually work the thing. I don't want to buy another one in case it makes me feel stupid again.

Quite like the idea of this even if it does look a bit like it's from an Unnovations catalogue:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-Mini-Bike-Trainer-Minibike/dp/B00DAX14FE/

Attila

Quote from: thenoise on July 23, 2020, 10:10:40 PM

That's actually the weather I prefer to walk/run in, so bring it on :)

I've increased my exercise a bit during lockdown, as I didn't realise just how much walking and movement I did in the commute/getting onto campus/slogging back and forth to various parts of campus. I usually get in a fast walk/job for about 45 minutes in the mornings followed by 30-45 mins step aerobics. In the early evening I might do another 30-45 mins on the step. It's boring as hell, but I also don't want to turn into Violet from Willy Wonker, especially as I'm sat around snacking like a slug. Been avoiding junkfood purchases at the shops because I know I'll snarf it all down out of boredom, so have swapped it out for fruit, especially grapes. There's an Egypt variety currently available at our local supermarket that's like crack. I go through 4-5 punnets of the damned things a week.

Bently Sheds

There's a gym next door to my workplace, it's been shut all through Lockdown, although apparently there have regularly been three cars parked outside and music blaring from the open windows most of those days.

I popped into the office on Friday and noticed the gym had opened up again. The car park was half rammed with Audi and BMW 4x4s and half rammed with walnut coloured, shiny, lumpy men all bending and flexing and looking at each other, all identically dressed in vest top, shorts, wraparound shades and black baseball caps. It was like someone had used the Photoshop clone tool in real life.

NattyDread 2

I used to go for a swim and a sauna almost every day. My job involves sitting on my arse and I have neck and back problems so a lunchtime swim would sort me right now. Since that's gone out the window I've started running through the woods at the back of my house again. Jacked it in a few years ago in favour of the swimming when I developed gammy joints. So far so good  though and running through woods is a darn sight more enjoyable than bashing up and down a small (16m!) pool.

I do worry about how the place will survive though. We're quite rural and the pool/gym is the only facility for about 40 miles. It's a non-profit charity so I've kept up our family membership even though I don't see myself going back anytime soon.

Did a couple of those Joe Wicks workouts. Really enjoyed that, apart from anything tough on the knees. I really need to devise an indoor routine to mix it up a bit. Especially stretches, planks, situps, that sort of thing. Any tips appreciated!

Ferris

I used to do a turn on the running machine once a week or so which was more around feeling in shape than losing any weight. Still trying to get a decent 30-60 minute walk in every day but I've definitely lost fitness because of all the sitting around drinking lager.

Such is life.

Blue Jam

Been doing loads of cycling this week. Legs are feeling knackered right now but caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window at werk today and they're beefing up. C H O N K Y:

Clothes are feeling a bit looser despite my ace quads.

I'm feeling a bit fitter and I'm able to go a bit further without taking a break, go up hills in a higher gear than before etc. Also using my new inhaler a bit less now which is nice.

Only cycling 3 miles to werk and 3 miles back every day but my route is quite hilly, is it normal to be knackered out by small hills or have I still got a way to go before reaching an unembarrassing level of fitness?

Still don't get the endorphin high after exercise though. Feeling exhausted right now and just want to go to bed, and I've already had a nap today. Is this normal too?

Also a bit hungrier than usual but cycling's a great excuse to eat a bit more innit?