Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:30:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can you be reinfected? [split topic]

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2020, 09:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Sorry I; haven't read the rest of the thread, but I have a question that has arisen following a chat with my mum. So, if you have Covid but don't die, is it confirmed you are safe from it from then on, or is that as yet unknown. Or false?

Thanks, I have a follow-up question, depending on the answer.

Dog Botherer

no, doctors have reported many cases of reinfection across the globe. antibodies don't seem to be guaranteed, and in some cases seem to disappear after a few months.

Dr Rock

Thank you, I have no follow-up question then.

Cloud

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 22, 2020, 09:18:40 PM
no, doctors have reported many cases of reinfection across the globe. antibodies don't seem to be guaranteed, and in some cases seem to disappear after a few months.

If there are undeniable, documented cases of reinfection I'd be curious to read about them.  There have been "reports" which were actually theories or clickbait news articles that went on to admit they were re-detections of the original infection but as far as I know there's been no concrete evidence.

Also antibodies are just one part of the immune system.  They don't typically need to be floating around the body for more than a few months, but there are memory T cell receptors that identify the virus and stimulate rapid antibody production, and those could last decades.
More here with references in description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_wSU1JnTE

Dr Rock

OK then, if that's true, I have a follow up question. If you've had it, and can't get it again, would you need to wear a mask? You can't catch it or spread it... or could you spread it anyway, while being immune? If no, how do you knock about without a mask, without getting funny looks/getting a thousand pound fine? Maybe if you had a special badge that shows your status as one who can't catch or spread the Covid. And what would we call these people?  Is Ubermensch too strong?

NoSleep

Better if everyone wears a mask, no questions. If some are allowed a no mask and a badge, imagine some cunts copying the badge to get out of wearing the mask. Or a previously infected "safe" person taking in a big lungful of freshly transmitted covid and coughing it all around.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on July 23, 2020, 06:29:23 AM
Better if everyone wears a mask, no questions. If some are allowed a no mask and a badge, imagine some cunts copying the badge to get out of wearing the mask. Or a previously infected "safe" person taking in a big lungful of freshly transmitted covid and coughing it all around.

Bonkers. Hard line mask for all. I don't give a fuck if you don't like it. If you can't wear one, stay out of enclosed spaces

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Cloud on July 22, 2020, 09:43:53 PM
If there are undeniable, documented cases of reinfection I'd be curious to read about them.  There have been "reports" which were actually theories or clickbait news articles that went on to admit they were re-detections of the original infection but as far as I know there's been no concrete evidence.

It's intellectually dishonest to use the word 'admit' to suggest an agenda on anyone else's part while pursuing your own. It's fairer and safer to say that you don't know.

Dr Rock

The answer is that we don't know and can't know, simply because it's too soon to have sufficient data. Most sensible is to assume nothing yet. It's considered likely (range of opinion pieces) that the vast majority will have some form of longer lasting immunity but there may be people who don't generate a sufficient response and who would then be vulnerable to reinfection.

There are only anecdotal accounts at this stage, albeit from named medical professionals at a range of centres around the world. Anecdotal observations shouldn't be dismissed, however, because a pattern of anecdotal observation is what prompts further investigation. Anecdotal observation led us to learn that Covid can cause multi-organ blood clotting, rather than simply affecting the respiratory system. Anecdotal observation led us to discover the existence of Covid-19.

It's difficult to prove reinfection (lengthy explanation) but it's nevertheless been reported that there are people who have tested positive and had symptoms, then recovered and tested negative across a period of months, before testing positive and experiencing symptoms again. This is one reason why 'immunity passports' (to label to what you're describing) are extremely unlikely, even discounting the social/ethical implications.

The best approach for the moment is to assume very little and to look at what seems to be working elsewhere. Masks, social distancing, hand washing, limit social contact to outdoor spaces wherever possible. It's still a waiting game.

Ferris

The new concern is that years of fringe anti-vax beliefs being tolerated by the conspiracy theory QAnon right means that any vaccine won't be effective anyway because something like 50% of the US won't get the jab.

Donald "many such cases!" trump leading the way on that. What a cunt.

Cloud

No one gets special status. If you've had it then you can reasonably hope not to have it in any serious way again, nothing more, nothing less

Continue to wear a mask and socially distance as there's equally no evidence that you can't get reinfected. (Do I think the media has an agenda around scare mongering, yes I do, it sells papers, but there's such a thing as denial and calm mongering too)

Also immunity isn't a binary thing afaik whether it's natural or manmade  so maybe you can get reinfected even if it's not proven yet but have a milder or asymptomatic illness and still be spreading it to others.