Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Carrey film performances

Started by Tony Yeboah, July 23, 2020, 04:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Yeboah

State of this list https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jul/23/jim-carreys-20-best-film-performances-ranked

The Mask at 15? Man on the Moon at 10? Liar, Liar at 1?

Or maybe it's just someone with a different opinion to me that I shouldn't worry about.

Sin Agog

Liar, Liar's just an After Life rip-off.

dissolute ocelot

These Guardian top 20 things are the worst kind of insincere, slightly-controversial clickbait that can't even keep their rules straight.

If it's purely on the basis of performance, as it suggests, then Man on the Moon (and probably Me, Myself and Irene) should be much higher and Truman Show (in which he does the full range of human emotion) well ahead of Eternal Sunshine (in which he doesn't do all that much). The Mask is a standout performance in a film that could have been awful/kids stuff (and it still fairly rudimentary, Carrey aside), while Batman Forever is so unwatchable I don't care whose performance is good and whose is bad, it's like asking which flesh-searing laser has the best colour. And I'm not convinced by the decades-long idolisation of The Cable Guy, which seems to attract critics who think unpleasantness is the same as artistic merit, or maybe it's the nearest they've ever got to movies about real human beings after a lifetime watching Ace Ventura.

Liar, Liar is an episode of Bewitched stretched to tedious extremes. Ricky Gervais got all his ideas from Bewitched.

DrGreggles

I wasn't aware that (other than Man on the Moon) he had any best performances.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Jim Carrey's Riddler would be better in a different, more toned-down version of Batman Forever, perhaps alongside a Two-Face who doesn't literally dance around and mug the camera.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I have never enjoyed a film starring Jim Carrey. This isn't a HOT TAKE, I'm not being contrary, but I've never found him funny. Jerry Lewis without the spark of genius. An adequate dramatic actor. I cannot sanction his buffoonery.

Brundle-Fly

I thought he was very good in Kick-Ass 2 (2013) but he disowned the film. First time I saw him in anything was in the last Dirty Harry effort, The Dead Pool (1988). He looks about fourteen in that.

idunnosomename

fucking hell that article is poor. who the fuck would tip them £3 after reading that. fucking load of shit

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 23, 2020, 07:07:54 PM
I have never enjoyed a film starring Jim Carrey. This isn't a HOT TAKE, I'm not being contrary, but I've never found him funny. Jerry Lewis without the spark of genius. An adequate dramatic actor. I cannot sanction his buffoonery.

Not even Truman Show? He goes overboard a couple of times, but otherwise the film and his performance are both pretty great. 

Gulftastic

His cameo in the Leap Day episode of 30 Rock.

'.... I saved Leap Day AND RECONNECTED WITH MY SON!!'

Goldentony

have a look at him in The Dead Pool singing Welcome To The Jungle, should have retired there

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 23, 2020, 07:30:37 PM
I thought he was very good in Kick-Ass 2 (2013) but he disowned the film. First time I saw him in anything was in the last Dirty Harry effort, The Dead Pool (1988). He looks about fourteen in that.
I know and he's still going by James Carrey

bgmnts

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 23, 2020, 05:58:37 PM
Jim Carrey's Riddler would be better in a different, more toned-down version of Batman Forever, perhaps alongside a Two-Face who doesn't literally dance around and mug the camera.

I loved Jim Carrey's Riddler!

Nothing on that list beats his turn in the last episode of Larry Sanders.

Gulftastic

I remember seeing him on Bob Monkhouse's show well before he got film famous. His arm behind the head thing made him instantly recognisable in 'Peggy Sue Got Married'.

JamesTC

The Majestic doesn't even appear. Cretinous uninformed shite list. Hope they continue to go bust.

They're not film performances, but both his Vanilla Ice & Snow skits from In Living Color are funny to this day.  Proof to me that shit film scripts rather than innate comedy talent are to blame for most films with him being utter drek.

His best film when you're about 10 is Dumb and Dumber and his best when you're at university is Eternal Sunshine. Never liked Liar Liar.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe rubber-faced funnyman made Ace Ventura, The Mask and Dumb and Dumber in the same year.

I mean, they are all him being the goof so if you don't like that you won't like them. But they are commanding performances. He draws you in. Just when the clownery gets cloying he'll slip in a look or change the tone like a theatrical nod to the audience.

The Mask is a safe one to say you like as it's hyperreal and the film does something spectacular. But the other two are  on a par with anything done by yer Steve Martin, Gene Wilder, Will Ferrell, Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy. And he carved out his own style. Not many performers can claim that.

Liar Liar is an interesting pick because he probably did peak as a comic performer around that time.

There is no Fun With Dick And Jane, probably as that doesn't fit the narrative. It was a good Carrey performance, way better than Yes Man and Bruce Almighty.

Icehaven

I love Carrey, and I'd have had Cable Guy at 1, Truman Show at 2 and Philip Morris and The Mask definitely in the top 6. Despite it having everything that meant I should like it (Jim Carrey, Michel Gondry directing, a scifi-in-reality concept) I've never really rated Eternal Sunshine, it left me cold for some reason, but I only saw it once when it was released so maybe I should give it another go.

idunnosomename

the mask seems to come right at the end of weird crazy high-budget quite-violent cartoony stuff like Robocop and Gremlins 2, except into the CG era, just before things went beige. as well as the quality of the visual effects, it's got such a nice deco look to it too that puts the real world in that nostalgic 30s toons era. no, it's not a faithful adaptation of the comic, but it's it's own thing and it's dead fun. although no one seems to talk about it now. but the guardian are sneering about it, huh.

"oops wrong pocket"

up_the_hampipe

Liar Liar should be lauded as it would be just another terrible Sandler-esque comedy if it wasn't for his performance. He elevated a pretty farty script with his amazing physicality. A completely forgettable movie if given to almost anyone else.

idunnosomename

it's shot a bit classier than your average RAWB SCHNEIDER IS!!! A CARROT!!! tho isn't it. i've seen bits of it.

like bruce almighty, that sort of magic realism setting for a comedy is always garbage imo

EDIT: OH NO NOT GROUNDHOG DAY!!! actually that's probably a terrible generalisation.

famethrowa

Can we get this straight for me who hasn't seen either movie, so in Liar Liar he has some hex put on him that he can't tell a lie, right? Then years later, In Yes Man, he has some hex put on him that he has to say yes to everything? I'm outraged.

Anyway, the Truman Show should be toppermost of any list.

Sin Agog

I've tried to watch and flatlined to so many classic '90s and '80s comedies over the lockdown.  There's so often absolutely fuck all there for me to focus on.  They just exist.  This may have more to do with my current state of mind than anything. But I did enjoy a few Carrey rewatches recently.  I should really hate the fucker, what with him clearly going a bit doolally from years of Yes Mannery, to the point where he will act like his success is some sort of manifest destiny, like Bru--- God Almighty is personally watching over him (and not, for example, those boring Uyghurs).  He even likens his discovery that self is an illusion to Truman walking out of the Truman Show.  Meaning he's got that Gervais thing of citing his own works like they're philosophical tracts.  In spite of all that, I do think he's got a good, earnest heart, and maybe that's why I still find him so watchable in a gurning Tati kind of way.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 23, 2020, 10:33:43 PM
His best film when you're about 10 is Dumb and Dumber
Kick his ass, sea-bass!

Thomas

idunnosomename

I think the Truman Show is a fucking good film and as a bonus it doesn't seem to have been hijacked by libertarian cunts. i mean because Truman is only imprisoned by capitalist forces that monetise him, really. ahhhh!

bgmnts

I would say The Cable Guy is probably my favourite Carrey film and performance as he toes the line between creepy weirdo and sympathetic tragic loner very well.

The film in itself is quite good as a dark comedy anyway. The Stiller trial clips used to genuinely freak me out as a little kid.

Icehaven

It always felt a bit like The Truman Show was supposed to do for Carrey what Philadelphia did for Tom Hanks - a film where a hugely famous comedy actor transitions to being taken more seriously - only a bit less sledgehammer heavy than having him dying of AIDS in a prejudiced world. I love it, and it still lets him do his thing rather than pretend he's suddenly Daniel Day Lewis or something.