Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Carrey film performances

Started by Tony Yeboah, July 23, 2020, 04:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

I agree with all the praise in this thread, but will add that the article is way off in denigrating his performance in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. He's absolutely brilliant in that - the perfect children's villain. Contrary to what the author says, watching the Netflix series with Neil Patrick-Harris just serves to highlight that fact.

Bruce Almighty is very good as well. Exactly the kind of imaginative medium-budget comedy that hardly anyone does well nowadays.

magval

Quote from: famethrowa on July 24, 2020, 12:13:51 AM
Can we get this straight for me who hasn't seen either movie, so in Liar Liar he has some hex put on him that he can't tell a lie, right? Then years later, In Yes Man, he has some hex put on him that he has to say yes to everything? I'm outraged.

Anyway, the Truman Show should be toppermost of any list.

No, Yes Man is based on a book Danny Wallace wrote about deciding to try saying yes to everything for a year or something like that, one of those Dave Gorman style comedy gimmicks. There's no magic involved.

SavageHedgehog

This does at least recognise the truism that When Nature Calls is the superior Ace Ventura joint.

Pancake

Still would with Sean Young even if she is a *spoiler* man

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He could make you laugh, with nothing more than a wild flailing of his arms.

notjosh

Quote from: magval on July 24, 2020, 09:20:33 AM
No, Yes Man is based on a book Danny Wallace wrote about deciding to try saying yes to everything for a year or something like that, one of those Dave Gorman style comedy gimmicks. There's no magic involved.

The film is only very loosely based on the book, and does introduce an element of magic in that he is karmically punished if he fails to say yes (to a blowjob off an old lady, to be specific).

I would herald The Truman Show, Man on the Moon and Simon Birch as his best performances seeing as they are the three films he won Golden Globes for in the best actor category.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 24, 2020, 12:03:27 PM
He could make you laugh, with nothing more than a wild flailing of his arms.

He can make you laugh with nothing more than a frantic flailing of his limbs

Quote from: notjosh on July 24, 2020, 01:18:21 PM
The film is only very loosely based on the book, and does introduce an element of magic in that he is karmically punished if he fails to say yes (to a blowjob off an old lady, to be specific).

Dunderhead Wallace and his old flatmate Dave Gorman really did plow into the earth with shitty ripoff fake drunken bar-bet gimmick comedy projects, didn't they? I saw one bit of Gorman on the BBC about restructuring the calendar that was entirely ripped off an old presentation I'd seen years before, except Gorman slapped his name all over it, obviously. I'm guessing the idea for tie-in-books based on (completely fake for cash) drunk bets came from Tony Hawks' Round Ireland With A Fridge one.

Chollis

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 24, 2020, 09:23:08 AM
This does at least recognise the truism that When Nature Calls is the superior Ace Ventura joint.

Still love Kirk in the dolphin tank though. "If I'm not back in 5 minutes....just wait longer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij3bJGnegwc

chocolate teapot

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 24, 2020, 01:28:07 PM
I would herald The Truman Show, Man on the Moon and Simon Birch as his best performances seeing as they are the three films he won Golden Globes for in the best actor category.

It's strange how Jim Carrey wasn't nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars but Ed Harris was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

notjosh

Quote from: Hand Solo on July 24, 2020, 01:31:19 PM
Dunderhead Wallace and his old flatmate Dave Gorman really did plow into the earth with shitty ripoff fake drunken bar-bet gimmick comedy projects, didn't they? I saw one bit of Gorman on the BBC about restructuring the calendar that was entirely ripped off an old presentation I'd seen years before, except Gorman slapped his name all over it, obviously. I'm guessing the idea for tie-in-books based on (completely fake for cash) drunk bets came from Tony Hawks' Round Ireland With A Fridge one.

I loved a lot of that stuff at the time, and found Yes Man very inspiring as an awkward teenager (ended up saying Yes to a lot more things at Uni because of it). I've been reluctant to return to any of it though as I'm afraid I'll be overpowered by the stench of bullshit. From what I hear, Wallace at least is very cagey about discussing what was and wasn't genuine about those books.

The 'Travelodge Travelogue' episode of Paperback Hell is a very good parody of the genre.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: notjosh on July 24, 2020, 08:48:38 AM
Bruce Almighty is very good as well. Exactly the kind of imaginative medium-budget comedy that hardly anyone does well nowadays.

Light on laughs for me.

Has its moments but the laughs are all from around the peripheries of the plot and general conceit or one off acting choices rather than of itself which gets it a mark down here. Aniston ends up providing nought but vanilla too.

Quote from: chocolate teapot on July 24, 2020, 04:31:00 PM
It's strange how Jim Carrey wasn't nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars but Ed Harris was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

Apparently Dennis Hopper was originally cast in that role.

Sin Agog

It's interesting how much Jim Carrey looks like a lurgy Ed Harris whenever he dons the mask.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: tag
Somebody stop him

JamesTC

dr_christian_troy

Eternal Sunshine - essentially plays the straight man to Kate Winslet for most of the film and it really pays off. I think I do prefer his more serious roles generally.

That film which has a scene where he dresses like a goth to the sound of Tear You Apart is utter shite though

Icehaven

Quote from: Hand Solo on July 24, 2020, 01:31:19 PM

Mitchell and Webb agreed.
https://youtu.be/EC0TDci9hqg

idunnosomename

In case I don't see you, goodbye

Sin Agog

The Mask is quite an irresponsible film.  Its principle message is that we're all ultimately better off without a mask.  I hope it's not aired on the BBC or Netflix anytime soon, lest it be responsible for thousands more coronadeaths.

idunnosomename

I think that's the message of Son of the Mask, which I indeed hope will never been shown by anyone ever

Hand Solo

P. A. R. T. Whybird from Playdays taught me how to spell!

Quote from: icehaven on July 24, 2020, 09:03:36 PM
Mitchell and Webb agreed.
https://youtu.be/EC0TDci9hqg

Ah, they marred the sketch a bit at the end. They end with "we need to find somewhere to put all the money" as a punchline for what cynical cash-grubbing PR exercises their supposedly crazy stunts were, but immediately previously established one of them has set up a Merchant Bank in the bath.

Tried to find the lecture I saw on Calendar reformation years ago but alas, as I recall it was exactly the same as Gorman's, maybe he had it pulled down off of YouTube.

Hand Solo

The Mask is just Drop Dead Fred for people who can't face reality.

Rolf Lundgren

The obvious answer is The Truman Show but it's the correct answer. Understated but a bit crazy when he needs to be and played with just the right level of naivety, he completely nailed the character.

The Mask is pretty amazing to watch too when you think this is a guy leading a film for one of the first times and a lot of it hangs on his performance. It's hard to think of another performer who would have been able to carry off both The Mask and Ipkiss as well as he does.

willy crossit

Dumb and Dumber has the finest portrayal of heartbreak in cinema https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG9IHqwHYgI

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 23, 2020, 07:07:54 PM
I have never enjoyed a film starring Jim Carrey. This isn't a HOT TAKE, I'm not being contrary, but I've never found him funny. Jerry Lewis without the spark of genius. An adequate dramatic actor. I cannot sanction his buffoonery.

I got threatened with death by US extremists when flaming a Jim Carrey usenet group back in 1994.