Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Get Shorty

Started by steveh, July 23, 2020, 05:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

Thought there was a thread on this but there doesn't seem to be. Anyway, just finished watching the third series which is currently airing on Sky. The first two I quite liked - didn't stick too closely to the film, didn't stretch things out too much unlike some film to TV conversions, enjoyable scrapes if nothing too deep and a perfectly fine cast. I'm not entirely convinced by Chris O'Dowd as the lead as he lacks Travolta's swagger and the glint in his eye that made his character in the film believable but that may be in part from knowing Chris from what he's been in before.

This last series though it seemed like they'd already used up most of what they had for plot so it just sort of stumbled along half wrapping up storylines but not conclusively in case they needed to resurrect things in the future and then ending prematurely on episode 7 such that they could call it a day if they wanted to. There seem to have been some disagreements between the companies producing it and a cut in budget as well as episodes so it seems up in the air as to whether it gets renewed despite reasonable ratings.

Anyone else watched this far?

Mister Six

Was put off by the trailer, in which a man begged for his life and then was killed, and it was played for laughs.

One of the things I liked about the book was that Chili's not a horrible murderous cunt, and even makes a point that murder doesn't really fall under his job description, because if you go around killing people who owe you money, you don't get that money back. Kicking off the whole thing with a killing just seemed like it was going to occupy a fairly obvious pocket of crime telly that I've seen a million times before.

Those are my stupid, ignorant opinions and I'm sticking to them.

PlanktonSideburns

They swapped John Travolta with the bloke from it crowd? That seems like such a weird choice

Mister Six

He's not playing the same character. As far as I can tell it's basically unconnected to the novel/Travolta film, except for the idea of a loan shark getting involved in Hollywood.

The Culture Bunker

I could imagine O'Dowd playing a snivelling film producer who'll do anything to get out of a jam - ie the Gene Hackman role in the film - but never a loan shark.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea surely he'd be like

Pleeeeease give me the money back cmoooon

Tell me he's not walking around wearing shades

steveh

Think Chris O'Dowd is fine in the part, it's more the baggage from his previous work and the film.

The show does use more from the book and film than just the situation, especially in the first series. Once that main arc is done is I think when the story problems start gradually building, compounded by the third series being shortened.

PlanktonSideburns

Yeah I'm just being a nob

Gonna check it out. I do love it when people take roles that challenge their stereotypes

niat

I haven't watched the third season yet but I enjoyed the first two (first season is probably better.)

O'Dowd is very good in the role, and can be very menacing when he starts kicking off. Without the baggage of previous roles, I don't think people would question his casting.

Ray Romano is good, too, though his romantic entanglement with the mob boss stretches credulity, especially in the second season.

I will watch the third one but I only saw the second a couple of weeks ago so I need a short Shorty-break.