Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DC jack

Started by Emma Raducanu, July 23, 2020, 10:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Hello!

My laptop fell on the floor, landed on the AC adapter and I guess it snapped the (DC jack???) little pin inside see number1

I have a Lenovo V155...

Can I buy a new pin for the adapter to plug into? And is it straight forward to install or am I looking at taking it somewhere to get fixed.

Sorry for the terrible desciption

buzby

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 23, 2020, 10:12:21 PM
Hello!

My laptop fell on the floor, landed on the AC adapter and I guess it snapped the (DC jack???) little pin inside see number1

I have a Lenovo V155...

Can I buy a new pin for the adapter to plug into? And is it straight forward to install or am I looking at taking it somewhere to get fixed.

Sorry for the terrible desciption
Unfortunately not. Here's what the motherboard looks like with the bottom of the case removed (disassembly video here):

(click to embiggen)
The power connector is in the upper right corner, and is screwed and soldered to the motherboard. The two screws have to be taken out and then it needs to be desoldered off the board and a new one soldered on in it's place.

Unfortuantely I've not been able to find the exact part - it loks like it's similar to this type that's used on other Lenovo notebooks (until they switched to the rectangular USB-style charger socket):

Emma Raducanu

Yeh, I spent ages searching. When I realised there was a chance it would need soldering, I gave up.

Took it to a nearby repair shop who have ordered the part and will fix it for £50. Not that I can afford it right now, it sounds about right for the job (I think) and I'll pay it to get it back.

Sebastian Cobb

Sounds reasonable. And still less than what the motherboards seem to go with which would be a no-solder, yet wasteful alternative.