Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 30, 2020, 04:25:40 AM
Also it's not really a double standard, is it?  One joke affects a solitary person, whereas the other targets a minority.
Oh, come on. The Harvey Price bit was a patchwork of ableist slurs. To the extent broadcasting that sort of thing "affects" anyone, I fail to see how attaching the routine to specific people mitigates the content. He even says in some poorly thought-out attempt to justify the material in that interview with Richard Osman that he handpicked characteristics that aren't actually associated with Harvey Price's specific conditions.

ajsmith2

Boyle is a hypocrite who cynically deployed edgy humour to advance his career when it was expedient (and more socially acceptable) to do so, but he does seem like a real flawed human being, whereas Gervais comes across as an insane megalomaniacal psychopath leading an army of possessed gaslighting radicals, so I'm still on team Boyle for this one.

idunnosomename

Quote from: neardark on December 29, 2020, 11:07:05 AM
The amount of people on Twitter leaping to Ricky's defence is staggering. Comments like this:

https://twitter.com/DreyfusJames/status/1343634363892817920?s=19

Feels like he's brainwashed half his followers into blind, cult-like worship
hahaha "the tower of Babylon"

James Dreyfus is a fucking gullible idiot. Him weirdly praising Chris Langham is also incredible. Yes Chris was a great performer but saying that to him like evaporates the consequences of his behaviour as if his criminal conviction doesnt matter because he is a good comedy man

Ornlu

Quote from: olliebean on December 30, 2020, 09:03:27 AM
Well, of course you can, as that's also free speech. And people are then, in turn, free to point out your hypocrisy.

I can't stand it when people do this. It always spoils the joke.

And for what? It never seems to top it with a better joke - instead it's always just low-effort 'gotcha' shit. A child's "ommm, I'm telling". Who the fuck gets any enjoyment from reading that?

JaDanketies

The GC goons on Twitter must have some severe cognitive dissonance when they deny being transphobic. But whenever anyone condemns transphobia, they leap to its defence. It's like when Sainsbury's said "no racists in our store please," and definitely-not-racist Lawrence Fox said "fuck you, I'm never going in one again if you don't want me."

Menu

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 30, 2020, 04:25:40 AM
So Boyle isn't allowed to criticise Gervais because he's a hypocrite?

Also it's not really a double standard, is it?  One joke affects a solitary person, whereas the other targets a minority.  But yeah, something about Ricky punching down and Boyle punching up.

Of course it's a double standard. The individual concerned was a disabled child. That's bad enough but imagine all the other disabled kids whose lives were made worse because of the joke.

Its hard for me because my brother is disabled and very vulnerable but, on balance, I think we should, for reasons of free speech, be allowed to make jokes about anything. Nobody is forced to hear them. And that's where I presumed Frankie stood on the matter. Fair enough. But, no. He says there actually is a line you can't cross and it happens to be wherever he arbitrarily draws it. Forgive me, but that is hypocrisy.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on December 30, 2020, 07:59:35 AM
Reminds me of a bloke I used to work with. The first conversation I had with him on his first day (I happened to go up to the office in the goods lift at the same time as him) was about whether I was 'politically correct.' It was clear that he saw himself as some sort of loose-lipped verbal gunslinger and indeed he did do all the racist, sexist, disablist stuff, always with a veil of 'irony.'

Then one day I said something offhand about a subject he obviously didn't think was a laughing matter (not saying what it is and I didn't know this at the time but it turned out to be something that had affected his family) and his face fell. I swear I could see tears forming in his eyes and he immediately turned round and walked out of the room. Aw come on mate, I was only having a laugh there. Can't you take a joke? Etc.

This is exactly it. I suspect we've all met people like this.

Menu

Quote from: olliebean on December 30, 2020, 09:03:27 AM
Well, of course you can, as that's also free speech. And people are then, in turn, free to point out your hypocrisy.

Great. Thanks for summarising the discussion.

Menu

Quote from: Jumblegraws on December 30, 2020, 09:26:23 AM
Oh, come on. The Harvey Price bit was a patchwork of ableist slurs. To the extent broadcasting that sort of thing "affects" anyone, I fail to see how attaching the routine to specific people mitigates the content. He even says in some poorly thought-out attempt to justify the material in that interview with Richard Osman that he handpicked characteristics that aren't actually associated with Harvey Price's specific conditions.

Ha! Worst excuse ever.

Bazooka

You don't have to be a genius to know he is a coward and decided to mock a disabled child who had a celebrity mother which made Harvey Price free game, he knew this gave him the security to make the joke. I don't know why he didn't do impressions of him being blind.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on December 30, 2020, 09:26:23 AM
he handpicked characteristics that aren't actually associated with Harvey Price's specific conditions.

Being a tendency to rape, as that's what the joke was about, or was it part of a longer sequence?

Jockice

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 31, 2020, 08:51:11 AM
Being a tendency to rape, as that's what the joke was about, or was it part of a longer sequence?

Yeah, but all disableds have that tendency. Which is somehow crossed with asexuality. We're weird us lot. Best avoided.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 31, 2020, 08:51:11 AM
Handpicked a characteristic then, but yes. He said Harvey Price's autism would make it more likely that he would avoid physical contact with other people. ETA and just to be clear, I don't think "tendency to rape" is a characteristic of any disability, Boyle's joke is obviously playing into the wider trope of learning disabled people being Of Mice and Men style brutes who can't control their impulses.

I think it would be funny to joke about Harvey Price falling on top of Frankie's face and not getting up for a long time.

Jumblegraws

Shallow side note , but something about Boyle's voice in a discussion puts me on edge. He always sounds to me like he's talking through gritted teeth and might lamp the person he's chatting with if they say the wrong thing.

Sonny_Jim

I thought he sounded rather posh and limp wristed in that recent Louis interview.

neveragain

I thought he sounded rather deep and nasally, and prone to summing situations up based on thoughts that occurred to him when leaving a certain area.

scarecrow

In his recent interview with Ash Sarkar, Boyle described his older persons as 'nihilistic'. I don't like any of his material - and agree that it was catnip for bullies - but fair enough. He doesn't have to hide behind explanations for it. Contrast with Gervais who's all about explaining his comedy, to the point that the material is an afterthought.

I think Boyle really does see that the trans routine is rotten and lazy, but his main attack line - that Gervais chooses to identify as a stand up comedian - suggests that his issue is with Gervais's charlatanism more than anything else. I reckon Boyle thinks it's okay to say whatever hateful shit you want so long as you've paid your dues on the circuit.

olliebean

Quote from: olliebean on December 23, 2020, 05:44:42 PM
Presumably it's "most watched in the world" not of all time, but just in the particular period when a lot of people were watching it. Most watched of that year, perhaps. (Or maybe even just most watched on Netflix.)

Seeing that the most watched new British comedy of 2020 was the Blankety Blank special with Bradley Walsh made me think about this again: Netflix doesn't release its viewing figures, so "most watched in the world" wrt a Netflix show could only possibly refer to most watched on Netflix according to Netflix's own charts.

phes

dropping by to ring the bell - Ricky has confirmed that afterlife 3 might be 'his best work yet'!

Gulftastic

Quote from: phes on May 03, 2021, 08:21:28 PM
dropping by to ring the bell - Ricky has confirmed that afterlife 3 might be 'his best work yet'!

It's nice that he helps his echo chamber with their tweeting. Sycophancy can be taxing.

Blue Jam

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1389265466481385475

"Absolutely Mental". Ooooh, edgy!

Ham Sarris as well, two of the Four Horsemen of Atheism right there. Urrrrgggghh.

JaDanketies

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 03, 2021, 08:50:07 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1389265466481385475

"Absolutely Mental". Ooooh, edgy!

Ham Sarris as well, two of the Four Horsemen of Atheism right there. Urrrrgggghh.

His fans are such twerps.

He should ask for his money back.
Why Paddy Mcaloon cosplay as gandalf the white now?

I hope this one's a bit more fruitbat. Series 2 was such an airy fart.

Ferris

Quote from: phes on May 03, 2021, 08:21:28 PM

First the pandemic, now this.

paruses

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 03, 2021, 10:37:13 PM

I hope this one's a bit more fruitbat. Series 2 was such an airy fart.

Last one was just dull, predictable, and inoffensive. Want either 100% more fruitbat or 100% more of the Phoneshop guys[nb]so, a new series of Phoneshop[/nb].

Writing that reminded me that Paul Kaye was in this and terrible (or more working with terrible material). I wonder if he still needs/wants the money enough for this series.

Amazed, though, that it's taken Gervais this long to change the words on the cover sheet to Final Version

bgmnts

If we were to write 'Ricky Gervais's After Extras' it would just be a picture of Derek throwing a dwarf in the air whilst jizzing on a homeless junkie.