Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:04:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on September 19, 2021, 11:07:16 AM
This probably does mean it's got a transphobic bit. Bravely

Well, he has retweeted James Dreyfus's praise:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DreyfusJames/status/1439266121488769025

"a man who has successfully blurred the wafer thin line between the real RG and the painfully hilarious character". Oh fuck off JD, he's not Larry David. He's not even Jack Dee.

frajer

Oh yeah he's blurred that line like a champ.

Ricky Gervais, how DO you portay an egotistical out-of-touch sack of shit who relies on saying whatever lazy stereotype is on his mind as a substitute for actual jokes SO well?

Blue Jam

How does he blur that line so well? I think it may be the way the character just happens to dress exactly like the actor does in real life. Inspired.

After Life is like a British Curb where the main character is always right and always "wins" and goes through life DESTROYING everyone who disagrees with him- ie, boring.

BritishHobo

Never has a man said so fucking little by saying so much.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 19, 2021, 12:15:27 PM
How does he blur that line so well? I think it may be the way the character just happens to dress exactly like the actor does in real life. Inspired.

After Life is like a British Curb where the main character is always right and always "wins" and goes through life DESTROYING everyone who disagrees with him- ie, boring.

It is funny how so few of Curb's or One Foot in the Grave's imitators get what made those shows work.

Like, Victor is more often "in the right" than Larry is, but he's still an unbearable knob head whose one-upmanship is a substitute for how unhappy his life is. And Larry's life is less sad but his unfiltered worldview, while often right, is just as often wrong. And even when right, goes about it by making his life so much worse.

EDIT: While Jack Dee's Lead Balloon is a rather blah, ho-hum show, at least it gets that the unfiltered attitude is fucking up his life.

Several gushing respondents to that James Dreyfus tweet have green and purple heart emojis next to their names. Why might that be I wonder. Liberal use of the word genius there as well.

H-O-W-L

frajer

I hope he pushes another drug addict to kill himself, calls a child a cunt and sees a phantom with Kerry Godliman's face advancing across a pond to him like Sadako in Ringu. Such brave television, he tells It like It is and the snowflakes cannot stand It!

H-O-W-L

Quote from: frajer on September 19, 2021, 04:40:47 PM
I hope he pushes another drug addict to kill himself, calls a child a cunt and sees a phantom with Kerry Godliman's face advancing across a pond to him like Sadako in Ringu. Such brave television, he tells It like It is and the snowflakes cannot stand It!

It being a sewer-dwelling kid eater, yeah?

I mean it has been 27 years since gervais was any good aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

frajer

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 19, 2021, 04:46:52 PM
It being a sewer-dwelling kid eater, yeah?

I mean it has been 27 years since gervais was any good aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hey look it's a gay-bashing clown who must be destroyed

And over there is Stephen King's monster Pennywise

idunnosomename

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 03, 2021, 10:34:58 PM
What the fuck is this reply? https://twitter.com/bella_beddywhip/status/1400448468435361799

I thought it was a pisstake but it actually seems to be a Gervais superfan desperate to get their dog in the show.
but it uses first person as if the dog is tweeting! Incredible. Watch out snowflakes.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: frajer on September 19, 2021, 05:01:02 PM
Hey look it's a gay-bashing clown who must be destroyed

And over there is Stephen King's monster Pennywise

Total sidetrack but I am still pissed off that the fillums missed the point that King was externally slighting homophobia (and intolerance in general; what with the massive Mike Hanlon chapters) with the whole book's structure, and instead focused on a spooky culown who don't like the gays.

Pancake

Quote from: frajer on September 19, 2021, 04:40:47 PM

THANK YOU for the reminder

QDRPHNC

That shot... dear god.

Hey Ricky, how about you stare wistfully at your wife as she swims in the distance?
Is she staring and smiling directly into the camera?
Well... no. She's in the distance. She's swimming. The audience will infer that...
Then how will people know I'm nice?
Er...
Fuck sake guys SUBTEXT yeah? I can't be the only one on top of this yeah?

markburgle

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 04, 2021, 04:56:22 PM
The shrink is the absolute low point. If he's still in it, having been outed as a fraud and a misogynist, then it's just a sequence of crap sketches and mawkish monologues rather than an actual narrative with any direction or attempt at maintaining plausible characters (which was already happening in the first episode of Series 1 but has gradually worsened).

I haven't seen the show but I bloody bet this shrink character will still be there. He loves writing oblivious incompetents, and will have the main character continue to employ them for no reason at all so he (Gervais) can keep having them muck everything up with hilarious consequences (see Darren Lamb, the accountant from Life's Too Short, the assistant from Life's Too Short, Kev from off Derek)

olliebean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim0bpnnkWo

Nobody in the trailer apart from Gervais and the dog. Has everyone else died?

Ferris

Trying to think of a more hackneyed track to play in the back of a trailer with no audio.

...Welcome to the Jungle? The Boys are Back in Town? It's slim pickings.

Dickie_Anders

Is the story of this new series that Ricky Gervais' character starts shagging his dog?

Mobius

I just hate this cunt so much. And all of the fucking idiots who think the stuff he makes is good. Like for fucks sake what is wrong with people.

Quote from: Mobius on November 09, 2021, 11:31:22 PM
I just hate this cunt so much. And all of the fucking idiots who think the stuff he makes is good. Like for fucks sake what is wrong with people.

I'd avoid the comments then...

Mobius

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 10, 2021, 12:07:16 AM
I'd avoid the comments then...

The Gervais reddit is a soothing balm, they all hate him too.

Twonty Gostelow

😭 

His wife wouldn't have wanted him to be sad though.

BritishHobo

Dog definitely dying then.

Tony snorting coke and weeping as he watches some old VHS tapes of himself farting in the dog's face or throwing a bucket of water on it while it's asleep.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 10, 2021, 08:01:24 AM
Followed by a tweet of Ricky assuring his disciples that the dog is alive and well in real life and here's a photo to prove it..

Cuellar

It's Always Sunny in Generic Home Counties England

idunnosomename

still looking at that styrofoam headstone that inexplicably is out of alignment with every other burial plot in the cemetery then

Ferris

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 10, 2021, 08:01:24 AM

Tony snorting coke and weeping as he watches some old VHS tapes of himself farting in the dog's face or throwing a bucket of water on it while it's asleep.

Then he sees it's head, eerily pasted on to another dog's swimming body, floating towards him in a local pool.

jobotic

That's the trailer??

he should at least of wanked the dogged off all over his face and then the dog cum makes a picture of Kerry Godliman's face over Derek4life's face and he looks sad but defiant.