Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Hahaha christ

Oh for fucks sake that would start a new page wouldn't it may as well just leave the forum

Hand Solo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 25, 2020, 04:31:50 AM
All this is evidence of is that he's managed to type up and print a title page for a script all by himself.

I imagine this is what he sent to Netflix to prove he was diligently doing his homework, a title page saying 'first draft' when he's really been drinking wine and abusing Twitter and Youtube funny animal videos all day and written nothing. What, me, Ricky Gervais - with all my awards in the background? How dare you question my ability to write or prove to you I can knock-out a half-arsed script to a deadline - look, here's the title page, with my name - Ricky Gervais - on it and everything. He knows nobody will call him on it. I bet the regular occurrence is he waits until the night before the deadline then writes the whole series in one desperate flurry like at school. If the word count is under he just appropriately fills up the quota with the word cunt.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I think I might have asked this in the last thread but has he done any singing in this programme yet?

Ferris

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 25, 2020, 01:37:13 PM
I think I might have asked this in the last thread but has he done any singing in this programme yet?

Only "ironically". Like the "ironic" record he put out, with the "ironic" tour with one of the Gallaghers and the "ironic" songbook with chords for people to "ironically" learn the "ironic" music.

...yeah? So... it's ironic. Deffo not serious. So if people don't like it, that's fine.

Seedsy

I actually seccumbed and watched afterlife series 2, genuinely appalling stuff. I'll start with this one tho, the suicide attempt. Saved by the dog, fucking  emotionally manipulative guff. I'd go as far as saying that was the most pointless fucking series ever, nothing changed whatsoever. The first series was passable I have to say, passable Hense why I only watched the second series this week, and I've been fucking shielding for 3 and a half months. First series I thought he did seem like a guy who was living his life like he actually didn't give a flying fuck. He was still a cunt tho to genuinely nice people.

This series Because he took folk out for coffee, and was morbidly depressed instead of modbidly angry.  I can't believe even Gervais, would think this is passable.
I won't even blabber on about the Paul kaye shrink. A turbo shit finchy.
The camp theatre director, just basically a shitter version of bunny from extras.
Is the scruffy inappropriate bloke actually the same scruffy inappropriate bloke from Derek. It's the same character!!
The grave scenes were frankly embarrassing.

Sorry rant over. I'm not on any social media, I've been wanting to vent since I've seen this pile of shit.

Kryton

I like to think it's a prequel to Derek. It's the only way it works in my mind.

Angry --> Depressed --> Kind.

Armin Meiwes

Is it a good hate watch though.. or just rubbish? First series was just boring and shit and I shouldn't have bothered, would love it if he could hit the heights of Derek again.

paruses

It's not really a good hate watch. Even if you really try. It's just poor quality nothing. When the twitter post was put up on here it occurred to me that there's nothing really memorable about any of it. It took me ages to remember what the ending was. There's loads you can take issue with but it's just not worth it.

Better use of your time would be for man to watch Phone Shop and get on over to that thread.

Kryton

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 25, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
Is it a good hate watch though.. or just rubbish? First series was just boring and shit and I shouldn't have bothered, would love it if he could hit the heights of Derek again.

It's so fucking transparent and dull. And it always had Gervais explaining things - some characters are utterly pointless, seemingly only placed in to have a 'scene' in which Gervais is a cunt with them / nice with them (which shows character development). Some characters are grounded and others are cartoonish, so it doesn't work.
One of the characters is called 'The Nonce' because he once had sex with a child-sized Dwarf.

His character is supposed to be an alcoholic - so there's usually a scene in which he's drinking a bottle of red wine. Imagine that! A whole bottle. Sometimes not even a whole bottle.

Derek is better.

Hand Solo

Take that Spike Milligan, having a manic-depressive breakdown while producing an entire script full of innovative concept-defining jokes, vetting it, rehearsing it and performing it to broadcast live within the week, every week. Where are your awards, twitter followers and Netflix deals? You stupid dead cunt.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 04:40:00 PMOne of the characters is called 'The Nonce' because he once had sex with a child-sized Dwarf.

Oh for fuck's sake

phes

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 04:40:00 PM
Derek is better.

Derek is magnificent. It's like a celebrity perfume if the celebrity actually made it

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: paruses on July 25, 2020, 04:31:37 PM
It's not really a good hate watch. Even if you really try. It's just poor quality nothing. When the twitter post was put up on here it occurred to me that there's nothing really memorable about any of it. It took me ages to remember what the ending was. There's loads you can take issue with but it's just not worth it.

That's kind of where I ended up on it. It wasn't as brazenly bizarre and awful as Derek, which really does reach Wiseau-esque levels of incompetency at times - it was just tedious and lazy. I couldn't even pay attention to the second series for more than a few minutes at a time, whereas I think I've watched Derek three times through out of sheer wonderment.

There was a bit of a Red Button/ARG aspect to Derek at the time as well, as the confluence between the activity of Gervais online/in the press vs. the actual quality of the show was every bit as fascinating as actually watching the thing, and it contextualised a lot of the more inane elements therein. Conversely, After Life is exactly what you'd expect it to be: just dull.

Kryton

Kryton

Quote from: phes on July 25, 2020, 10:39:47 PM
Derek is magnificent. It's like a celebrity perfume if the celebrity actually made it

You know, I've only seen a few episodes but I've caught a lot of the magnificent CAB thread. I think I might watch a few tonight to absorb the magic. I have yet to see the grief dog.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 10:54:39 PM
You know, I've only seen a few episodes but I've caught a lot of the magnificent CAB thread. I think I might watch a few tonight to absorb the magic. I have yet to see the grief dog.

I'd highly recommend finding the corresponding discussion for each episode in the thread(s) as you go through it. CaB and Pilkipedia were both delightful during a Derek airing.

Kryton

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 25, 2020, 10:59:18 PM
I'd highly recommend finding the corresponding discussion for each episode in the thread(s) as you go through it. CaB and Pilkipedia were both delightful during a Derek airing.

I've only just discovered Pilikipedia, but what was the reaction there? Is it a fan-site? If so, I assume it was a favourable response to Derek? Contrasted with our own?

Bronzy

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 11:01:52 PM
I've only just discovered Pilikipedia, but what was the reaction there? Is it a fan-site? If so, I assume it was a favourable response to Derek? Contrasted with our own?

Definitely not, while they did indeed start as a fan-site for Ricky, Steve and Karl, they gradually began to dislike Ricky more and more once his true arsehole personality started to come to light on Twitter, which (IIRC) was around the time that Life's Too Short came out. By the time Derek aired I'm pretty sure there was an almost universal hatred of him, and the few that did still like him soon waned when his antics on and off the show became too embarrassing.

They still seem to really like Steve and Karl, which is nice.

Kryton

Quote from: Bronzy on July 25, 2020, 11:05:39 PM
Definitely not, while they did indeed start as a fan-site for Ricky, Steve and Karl, they gradually began to dislike Ricky more and more once his true arsehole personality started to come to light on Twitter, which (IIRC) was around the time that Life's Too Short came out. By the time Derek aired I'm pretty sure there was an almost universal hatred of him, and the few that did still like him soon waned when his antics on and off the show became too embarrassing.

They still seem to really like Steve and Karl, which is nice.

Brilliant. I'll get stuck in soon.

Bronzy

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 11:17:48 PM
Brilliant. I'll get stuck in soon.

The best part in the Pilkipedia thread is the initial belief amongst many that it would be far better than LTS, and then the gradual realisation setting it when it first airs.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 11:01:52 PM

Like Bronzy said, the Pilkipedia reaction was equally vitriolic to CaB's, to the point where the two streams crossed quite often. The fact that Pilkipedia was, ostensibly, a Gervais fansite makes it all the more easy to accept that Derek was, objectively, fucking awful.

Gulftastic

No emmy noms. I bet he's already bitching on Twitter and pretending not to care.

Armin Meiwes

Haha just had a look and yep! Although it's ok because he did get nominated for one for his golden globes thing so he's not too angry. Don't follow him on Twitter so hardly ever see his tweets but is he legal obliged to say "best fans in the world" at least once a day. EVERY time I've ever clicked on him he's said it within the last 3 or 4 tweets.

frajer

Guillotined and yet he writes on. It'd explain his 2010s output.

Severed heads, right. Blinking for hours after the fact yeah? Impressive on paper, sure, but how many Golden Globes have they won? *tries to look at camera but eyes plop out*

Blue Jam

After Life received no Emmy nominations this year, but don't worry, Are Ricky's not bitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1288156812416557059

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 29, 2020, 12:36:20 PM
After Life received no Emmy nominations this year, but don't worry, Are Ricky's not bitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1288156812416557059

Boomers are obsessed with pedophiles.

idunnosomename

I dont understand how he has 14m followers when all he does is retweet cloying praise of his own shows. I supose he could have 28m if he wasnt so annoying

Cuellar

Well, Graham Linehan had 600k which has translated into almost 3k youtube subscribers.