Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: dead-ced-dead on September 10, 2020, 03:21:36 PM
Are you saying that Ricky Gervais, the only celebrity who "tells-it-like-it-is," the Hollywood soothsayer, the only celebrity who hates celebrity lifestyle (despite him talking about/and posing in front of his awards would suggest) is out of touch?

The irony is that in a world of Covid there is actually a potentially powerful emotional angle there for the character that he has created. A simple, sweet man with an innocent worldview/ learning difficulties, whose closest friends are all elderly and in care, coming to terms with the way this quiet world has suddenly been turned upside-down, trying in vain to protect his friends while having to deal with a heightened sense of fear, helplessness, loss... in the right hands that could be genuinely involving.

But he won't do that, because it would involve a) awareness, b) effort and c) being able to write.

Thomas

chveik

BritishHobo

Kev tells Derek that the only way to cure COVID is to cough in the faces of the residents. Hannah watches on with a wry grin as he bends over and hacks germs onto the face of a nameless elderly woman, who chuckles and thanks him.

Noodle Lizard

Oh fuck please let there be a Derek COVID-19 Special. C'mon Ricky don't be lazy it writes itself.

BritishHobo

Kev switches all the hand sanitiser for vodka and then pranks Derek by telling him you can become immune to COVID-19 if you drink a whole bottle. Much laughter abounds as a fucked-off-his-face Derek stumbles into the caravan at the end of the night and throws up all over Kev's fat girlfriend's big fat gross fat vagina!!!! Urgh god she's so fat it's horrible, I'd be sick as well!!!! Kindness is magic

TommyTurnips

It is revealed in the last 15 minutes of the special that Kev had a talent for building ventilators out of old dildos and butt plugs that he finds in skips. Derek's most favouriteist old person is saved by the marital aid powered miracle. Something about a covid grief dog.

H-O-W-L

Derek sobs in an empty care home for 45 minutes. Go on, Gervais. Have the balls.

Dog Botherer

merchant navy's boat gets riddled with covid, DIED

Ferris

Quote from: Dog Botherer on September 11, 2020, 01:47:28 AM
merchant navy's boat gets riddled with covid, DIED

Think he's a bit too savvy to get involved mate

dissolute ocelot

Why isn't Ricky doing COVID informational films. Derek showing the correct way to interact with relatives through glass windows, that kind of thing? Surely Ricky would be self-important enough to do it if he was asked. Or is he too busy writing?

frajer

COVID was invented by his bezzie mate Science, so he's secretly fucking loving its rampage across the planet.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 11, 2020, 02:01:24 AM
Think he's a bit too savvy to get involved mate

turns out i didn't actually know what the merchant navy was

QDRPHNC

Ricky is a living life lesson.

You can all the money, all the fame, all the awards, all the sycophants, but it won't make you happy deep down.

phes

When's this out then?

Given the current situation in itching for another instructional guide from a clueless millionaire bellend about how to feel about learning disabilities or breast cancer

Twonty Gostelow

He re-tweeted this from the After Life fans account for some reason. I can't tell if he's being ironic, or trolling, or mad.

https://twitter.com/AfterLife_Fans/status/1339660536947064832

Ferris

"The most watched British sitcom in the world"?

paruses

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 22, 2020, 03:56:46 PM
"The most watched British sitcom in the world"?

People conveniently forget that loads of shit things are popular when it suits them

phes

Bracing myself for another round of colleagues in my new workplace (social care) loving this. I really like my little team and have no interest in being that guy who shits on something they enjoy. Best case scenario is that it's... good (haha) or that someone hates it and I can have secret slagging seshes. Really hope it's topical and that we get three hours of Tony in lockdown taking to himself and bullying people on houseparty

paruses

Quote from: phes on December 23, 2020, 09:37:40 AM
Bracing myself for another round of colleagues in my new workplace (social care) loving this. I really like my little team and have no interest in being that guy who shits on something they enjoy. Best case scenario is that it's... good (haha) or that someone hates it and I can have secret slagging seshes. Really hope it's topical and that we get three hours of Tony in lockdown taking to himself and bullying people on houseparty

Did Gervais have any particular stance on Covid? I am only really aware of him these days from mentions on here and if he pops up on something like The One Show and it's on The The One Show Show podcast.

I really hope he had some denier/herd immunity/ so what if people die thing going on because it could be Derek levels of Gold in its execution. Sadly, I think this will just be as dull and self-satisfying as the other attempts.

I forget this even exists; I never forget Derek exists. Please do more like Derek.

phes

Not sure really, his Twitter stopped being entertaining/fascinating long ago when it properly became marketing. At some point Gervais went so far up his own arse and got so far out of step with the outside world that he ceased to be fascinatingly awful and became boring and irrellevent. Very, very brief toe-dipping into gender stuff around the time that glinner got shitcanned, and his relative quietness on other current stuff suggests to me he's taken advice and probably not going anywhere that could get him cancelled while the money is pouring in.

Utter Shit

Never watched this beyond the first episode as it seemed quite shit, but the outtakes are brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgkafpLSB4k

ArtParrott

KRIBZ 45
7 months ago
Funniest outtakes ever, definitely up there with the Derek outtakes 🤣🤣🤣

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: phes on December 23, 2020, 09:37:40 AM
Bracing myself for another round of colleagues in my new workplace (social care) loving this. I really like my little team and have no interest in being that guy who shits on something they enjoy.

If the programme's taught us anything, you being the work misery guts will inexplicably result in them saying you're the nicest guy in the world etc. Fill your boots!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: paruses on December 23, 2020, 09:08:53 AM
People conveniently forget that loads of shit things are popular when it suits them

How do you measure that, though?

Has Afterlife been seen more  (worldwide) than Monty Python, Fawlty Towers? The original Office, even?

lankyguy95

Quote from: ArtParrott on December 23, 2020, 11:24:25 AM
KRIBZ 45
7 months ago
Funniest outtakes ever, definitely up there with the Derek outtakes 🤣🤣🤣
Absolute desolation.

paruses

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 23, 2020, 02:02:36 PM
How do you measure that, though?

Has Afterlife been seen more  (worldwide) than Monty Python, Fawlty Towers? The original Office, even?

You might be replying to the "most watched in the world" thing rather than my comment - I was just being flippant for the sake of it to say popular doesn't mean good. Green Door was the biggest selling single of 1981, I think. I like This Old House though.

I agree completely though - it's meaningless. It's something to parrot, I suppose. Is often more persuasive than an argument about merits.

petril

if we're arguing about most watched in the world, then he's never going to beat Carole Hersee and Bubbles, is he?

ul Ricky, still losing hard