Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Were/are your parents musicians and/or in bands?

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 23, 2020, 11:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pancake on July 28, 2020, 11:40:46 AM
NO but my mates dad was the singer in a little band you might have heard of called Black Sabbath*

* at their absolute nadir

My ex's grandad, who she called dad, used to claim that the Black Sabbath lads hung around with him before they became successful and he used to play with them a little. I've Googled his name next to Black Sabbath but found nothing. He's dead now.

The Culture Bunker

In Manchester, nearly everyone else I've been in a band with, their dad played guitar in some band at some point. None of any note, mind, though I did work with a guy whose dad was in Herman's Hermits through the 60s.

Growing up back home, I didn't know anybody whose parents were musical, or even anyone my age who played guitar or drums. A few girls at school, who had vaguely aspirational parents, played some piano or violin but I got a lot of strange looks when I told people I'd taken up the bass.

This may be why the only notable band to come from anywhere close to my birthplace is It Bites. The above mentioned Black Sabbath did play a few of their early gigs round there, however. 

Neville Chamberlain

We're already on Page 2 and no one's mentioned having a parent in The Fall?!?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pancake on July 28, 2020, 11:40:46 AM
NO but my mates dad was the singer in a little band you might have heard of called Black Sabbath*

* at their absolute nadir

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 28, 2020, 12:42:04 PM
If you're on about Tony Martin I personally find him far less irritating than Dio whose cock rock squawk was really no fit for Sabbath.

I saw them in Bristol in the mid 90s during Tony Martin's tenure, except that he was AWOL that particular night (along with one or two others on that tour - I think the official line was illness of some description, but there were rumours flying around that it was due to a massive argument with the rest of the band, either that or he was too busy murdering a burglar in his farmhouse) and his place was taken by a very briefly returning Ian Gillan (who apparently filled in with something like one day's notice).  That concert also led to Bristol council imposing volume limits on all live shows due to how fucking loud it was.

Pancake

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 28, 2020, 02:19:39 PM

My nan had a fall

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 28, 2020, 02:19:39 PM

My mum is Gillian Anderson, but this is more of a Picture Box thing, isn't it?