Author Topic: New Taylor Swift  (Read 899 times)

New Taylor Swift
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:48:01 AM »
She dropping new studio album within hours. Its definitely going to be a shift from last couple of records but very intrigued where she going with this. Bon Iver involved so i’m guessing a guitar based folk-country return but fascinated in how weird it might be.Could be shit, could be her Nebraska? My guess it’s her Ease Down The Road and history will judge it as a classic.

Already doing the Swift thing of having fake names as collaborators so who knows. i for one will be on it and suspect im going to love it.

shagatha crustie

• Don't do to me what you did to America
Re: New Taylor Swift
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
Isn't it basically her and all of the National except the singer, plus Bon Iver? I have a love-hate relationship with the Nash (and Swift to be fair) but this sounds like it could be interesting.

Listening now, chill and pleasant if kind of inoffensive. Seem she's angling for some alternative cred but it still sounds pretty 'pop.' Actually it gives me vibes of that Phoebe Bridgers everyone's going on about.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »

Listening right now. Seven tracks in and it's perfectly fine. Nothing outstanding but far from bad. It might be a grower.

The Guardian has given it five stars: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/24/taylor-swift-folklore-review-bombastic-pop-makes-way-for-emotional-acuity

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 11:11:36 AM »
gave it a spin. cynical.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »
Listening right now. Seven tracks in and it's perfectly fine. Nothing outstanding but far from bad. It might be a grower.

The Guardian has given it five stars: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/24/taylor-swift-folklore-review-bombastic-pop-makes-way-for-emotional-acuity

Aye. It's fine. Interesting to here how her songs can be very different beasts depending on the production (quite a few of these could be Lover album tracks if given a makeover) but yeah. Nowt special. Suspect it's one for you types who like listening to words and stuff - I normally like the synths and stuff that make me pretend I am getting emotional. :)

non capisco

• MAKE WAY FOR THE MUSHROOOOOOOOMS!!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 01:27:58 PM »
If it's as boring as the last couple of albums by The National I doubt I'll bother. Hard to believe they're the same band that made 'High Violet' these days.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
I really like the Bon Iver one.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
I think it's great so far. This slow, melancholic pop really suits her voice.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
Listen number 2 on phone in bath. When did Spotify start doing these little loop videos? I approve.

Really love the run of songs in the middle from August to Invisible String. Love the sound and simple message of This Is Me Trying. Needed a 20 min wall of guitar noise to end it though. :)

Think i’m going to do what I did with last couple of albums and make an 8 track short album as can’t concentrate on 16 songs in one go.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
gone a bit Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism I see

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:35:52 PM »
gone a bit Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism I see

I have spent the last half and hour trying to find a link between Taylor Swift and Hellhammer. I thought Max Martin would be an easy link but best I got was he was in a metal band in Sweden when he left school but after that can't find a link. There must be one.

Thumbs up to anyone who can do it in 3 degrees of seperation.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »
Love the sound and simple message of This Is Me Trying.

Shatner cover?

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
First impressions not good. Second impressions a little better. It’s no 1989. It’s not even Lover. More like Folksnore. Definitely more of a grower. Mid-tracks like august and this is me trying are supremely lush and elegant and have dimensions that previous taylor swift songs don’t have but the bon iver track definitely is a black spot on the album the album does gets ridiculously samey with the same identical tracks for over an hour and a song like mad woman would have been much better if it had been turned into a massive chart banger. That’s the story of the album really - improved artistic depth vs loss of hit-writing chops.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 04:24:53 AM »
This is why I love her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY8I46dkb0 Just a proper pop star doing what proper popstars should do.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 04:46:50 AM »
First impressions not good. Second impressions a little better. It’s no 1989. It’s not even Lover. More like Folksnore. Definitely more of a grower. Mid-tracks like august and this is me trying are supremely lush and elegant and have dimensions that previous taylor swift songs don’t have but the bon iver track definitely is a black spot on the album the album does gets ridiculously samey with the same identical tracks for over an hour and a song like mad woman would have been much better if it had been turned into a massive chart banger. That’s the story of the album really - improved artistic depth vs loss of hit-writing chops.

It'll grow on you.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »

That's a terrible piece of writing. Doggerel.

Taylor Swift's album is nice enough.

The Mollusk

• I spoke with fervour, embracing the evening
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
The Guardian is absolute tripe for a number of reasons and for me personally their music journalism is way up the list

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 02:25:57 PM »
That's a terrible piece of writing. Doggerel.

Taylor Swift's album is nice enough.

Was always going to be 5 stars as Laura Snapes is an utter national obsessive. She is completely blinded by them and as such her critical professionalism goes out the window.I personally think her album reviews in general can be embarrassing.
I like tay tay, 1989 is as sleek a pop record you will ever hear, I also love the national.
I've not listened to this yet, but it was never going to be reviewed objectively

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 02:35:49 PM »

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
don't want 'objective' reviewing but some credulity would be nice

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »
I have spent the last half and hour trying to find a link between Taylor Swift and Hellhammer. I thought Max Martin would be an easy link but best I got was he was in a metal band in Sweden when he left school but after that can't find a link. There must be one.

Thumbs up to anyone who can do it in 3 degrees of seperation.

Taylor Swift is involved in this story shared by Dave Grohl - https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7416401/taylor-swift-dave-grohl-paul-mccartney-video

Tom Warrior played on Grohl's Probot album in 2004.

That's TWO degrees, mate.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 03:06:03 PM »
Taylor Swift is involved in this story shared by Dave Grohl - https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7416401/taylor-swift-dave-grohl-paul-mccartney-video

Tom Warrior played on Grohl's Probot album in 2004.

That's TWO degrees, mate.

Thumb up.

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »
Dead pleased with that thanks.

Tags: