Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you wear a mask when you're out and about?

Started by Chedney Honks, July 24, 2020, 08:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask in the following circumstances?

Supermarket
48 (92.3%)
Indoor retail space
48 (92.3%)
Buying takeaway food/drink
31 (59.6%)
Hairdresser/barber
26 (50%)
At your place of work (excluding medical/care)
19 (36.5%)
Raoul's moat
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

BlodwynPig

my first visit to a shop since march 2 days ago. Of course I'm wearing a fucking mask, close the thread.

Chedney Honks

When I did a big shop yesterday, probably 10-20% were wearing a mask, although I was pleased to see that more like a third of staff were wearing one - a dramatic improvement on the previous week's zero. I spoke to a couple of mates for the first time in a good month or so and they both said they'd never worn a mask and would wait until they had to, despite thinking it was probably the right thing to do. One said he assumed shops would be handing them out at the door so he wasn't going to buy one. He's a partner in a global law firm. The other one lives with his elderly parents, one of whom has COPD.

😬😬😬

Bazooka

DrGreggles

'Track & Trace App "A Success" Claims No. 10'

Blue Jam

Blumf

Wondering around Merry Hill last night, about 1% were wearing masks, and half of them had their noses uncovered.

Looking forward to that second wave.

Fambo Number Mive

My local grocery shop wasn't letting anyone in without a mask today. Which was great, but it's a shame they didn't do that earlier. I guess some stores feel more confident in doing so now it's been required by the government?

Staff were all wearing masks which they hadn't been doing previously.

shiftwork2

Today's the day in England.  There'll be the odd ass clown I'm sure but the overwhelming majority of people I've spoken to are of the same 'it might make a small difference so why not, given what a minor imposition it is' attitude.

So yeah, I've had one on in shops for a few weeks.

Dusty Substance

No. It's the middle of summer and I get over-heated at the best of times, let alone with fabric covering my mouth and nose.

earl_sleek

Not if I'm just going for a walk, but yes if I'm going inside anywhere. I have forgotten to bring a mask a few times when going to the supermarket, so quite glad they're mandatory now as that will help remind me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 24, 2020, 10:43:28 AM
No. It's the middle of summer and I get over-heated at the best of times, let alone with fabric covering my mouth and nose.

Enjoy your time on the ventilator then. What a fucking attitude. boo baby boo.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 24, 2020, 11:23:45 AM
Enjoy your time on the ventilator then. What a fucking attitude. boo baby boo.

Sure. I'm the one with the attitude.

H-O-W-L

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 24, 2020, 12:11:01 PM
Sure. I'm the one with the attitude.

You are a danger to society. A self-avowed threat to public health and should be called out on it.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 24, 2020, 10:43:28 AM

Think of all those covid corpses you've created  rotting in the summer sun, mind. That stench!

Chedney Honks

I'm gonna take a stand here and say that shame ain't the way to go. Same with Labour voting way back when. Even as a 100% lifelong Labour voter, I found some of the hectoring on here really nauseating. All it does is turn people off and encourage them to dig in.

Besides, we can just wait for him to die, anyway.

jobotic

Hang on I don't wear one outdoors. Is that bad?

Have been in shops for months and will continue to do so.

Just been informed that the public won't have to wear masks in libraries. WTF?

Sebastian Cobb

Yes.

I wouldn't wear one if I just went for a walk outside/in the park but I've just been going out for supplies, and would rather put it on and not have to touch my face after touching something potentially contaminated like stuff in the communal hallways of my gaff.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: jobotic on July 24, 2020, 01:20:47 PM
Hang on I don't wear one outdoors. Is that bad?

Have been in shops for months and will continue to do so.

Just been informed that the public won't have to wear masks in libraries. WTF?

Libraries are likely to contain mainly older people and/or people with health conditions, it makes no sense whatsoever to not mandate masks. Maybe it's so library usage falls further and the government has an excuse for closing more libraries.

Pranet

Library assistants are public sector workers so the government is relaxed about their health and safety.

steveh

The idea that there is a big risk of outdoor transmission seems to persist against the evidence. Probably doesn't help that the media choose to keep running photos / videos of people at beaches and parks to illustrate stories of infections when there hasn't been a super-spreading event at these locations.

Quote from: steveh on July 24, 2020, 03:08:22 PM
The idea that there is a big risk of outdoor transmission seems to persist against the evidence. Probably doesn't help that the media choose to keep running photos / videos of people at beaches and parks to illustrate stories of infections when there hasn't been a super-spreading event at these locations.

The absence of definitive evidence on these things is precisely why everyone should be wearing a mask 100% of the time outside their homes.

tao of wub

Since mid March have worn a mask at any time I may be within 10m of somebody.

When I go out to walk I have a mask with me and in the unlikely event that I see anybody I change direction and put my mask on.

This did lead to a problem a few months ago, when trapped on a footpath I choose to divert into the woods.  Turns out the woods were privately owned by the old man I was trying to keep away from.  He decided that it was his duty to try and catch and fight me.  I managed avoid this, but I don't go down that footpath anymore..

IMHO UK would have avoided much grief if we had implemented mandatory mask wearing all the way back in March, or even before.

tao of wub

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 24, 2020, 03:14:26 PM
The absence of definitive evidence on these things is precisely why everyone should be wearing a mask 100% of the time outside their homes.

Don't do what Donny Don't Does.

Mask wearing is such an easy thing for people to do, so why not just do it?

Sometimes, we look on the past and wonder how people could be so crassly ignorant, (there are SO many examples in history, but here is a ghoulish yet fascinating one,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls)

Lets do the right thing and NOT be like the owners of United States Radium.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: tao of wub on July 24, 2020, 03:19:11 PM
Since mid March have worn a mask at any time I may be within 10m of somebody.

When I go out to walk I have a mask with me and in the unlikely event that I see anybody I change direction and put my mask on

I think if you've touched anything en route putting the mask on could put you at more risk than the person you are passing while not wearing a mask.

tao of wub

This is true, but, I am very disciplined about NOT touching anything and hyper aware of it.  I have a small bottle of alcohol gel if needed.

I have years of working with disgusting chemicals so am good as this.  It always pained me to see colleagues working in gloves, then rubbing their faces with the same gloves on.

You can spot the lab worker in the toilets, because they wash their hands before and after!

To be honest, I have only had to put my mask on 2 times whilst out walking so far as I have developed a route which no other person seems to use.

When I am forced to go to the shops I wear gloves, then coming back to the car, gloves come off, hands get alcohol gelled, mask comes off then hands get cleaned again.  Back home after putting everything away it is a shower and a change of clothes.  Stuff like the phone gets wiped down before the shower.

It is a pain in the arse, but my choice.

MojoJojo

To be extra safe I've started wearing a condom if I'm going to be within 5m of any children.

tao of wub

This Radiolab show interview is about workers at biosafety level 3 lab which has been studying corona virus for many years.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/dispatch-6-strange-times

It is a short interesting show and also discusses the strict ritualistic and careful practices that the lab work forces on you.  It isn't quite my background, but when you have a syringe full of potentially flaming toxic horror in your hand you also learn to be considered and careful in your movements.

Dr Rock