Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you wear a mask when you're out and about?

Started by Chedney Honks, July 24, 2020, 08:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask in the following circumstances?

Supermarket
48 (92.3%)
Indoor retail space
48 (92.3%)
Buying takeaway food/drink
31 (59.6%)
Hairdresser/barber
26 (50%)
At your place of work (excluding medical/care)
19 (36.5%)
Raoul's moat
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Chedney Honks

Wear a mask at the barbershop you murderous pieces of shit

Bit of a scene in the big Tesco. Turns out that what I've been wearing when I go out is a disguise.

Thought I was doing the right thing 😢

SpiderChrist

Just been out to buy beer because it's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum. Everyone wearing a mask in the shop except some fat taxi driving cunt who took his mask OFF before he came in.

Chedney Honks

Hope the guy ends up face down covid in ANTS

SpiderChrist

Lots of flying ants about tonight so mebbe he will. The cunt.

Jockice

I filled the car up with fuel yesterday. I have a mask in the car but I couldn't find it so I went in to pay with my face in full view. There were signs up that wearing masks was compulsory but nobody said anything to me. There was another bloke a couple of spaces behind me in the queue not wearing one either. Wonder what his excuse was. I'm disabled you know. I can get away with anything.

Alberon

Wore a mask in a shop for the first time yesterday (I've not been shopping much at all). Don't wear one at work as I'm one of the few on campus and I rarely see anyone else. And I won't wear one in the barbers as I've bought some clippers so Mrs Alberon can butcher what hair I have left at home.

Went to a comedy show last week and didn't wear one but that's okay as it was a drive-in show. Listening to car honking instead of laughing and applause is damn weird, though.

phes

Have there been any telly ads or official sources online telling people how to safely use masks? Everyone in town was wearing them in shops yesterday but maybe only half the people outside. So there's probably a lot of mask on, mask off going on. Lots of people holding them in their hands, pulling them from pockets, squishing them about on the faces, covering their mouths as they talk, licking their covid fingers after a greasy Gregg's. Good news to reduce their death breath when in shops but probably increasing their own chances by shovelling the virus into their gobs.

I've been wearing one 37.5 hours a week for months so good hygiene has been drummed into me and is second nature now. Just wondering if our beloved rulers have bothered explaining this to anyone else

timebug

Wore one on friday for shopping,and as i wear glasses too, it was a pain in the arse. Glasses kept misting up with my own breath! I have read various ways around this issue, but newsflash;they don't work for me. So off with glasses, shop through a blur, and restore glasses outside shop, as I remove mask. What a faff! I can see the sense in it health wise, it just makes something as simple as shopping, a bit more difficult.

Head Gardener

I've seen plenty of folks wearing masks driving around in cars on their own, what's that all about?!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on July 26, 2020, 09:03:37 AM
Wore a mask in a shop for the first time yesterday (I've not been shopping much at all). Don't wear one at work as I'm one of the few on campus and I rarely see anyone else. And I won't wear one in the barbers as I've bought some clippers so Mrs Alberon can butcher what hair I have left at home.

Went to a comedy show last week and didn't wear one but that's okay as it was a drive-in show. Listening to car honking instead of laughing and applause is damn weird, though.

did everyone leave their engines running and all the wild birds died and the world turned black?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phes on July 26, 2020, 09:31:37 AM
Have there been any telly ads or official sources online telling people how to safely use masks? Everyone in town was wearing them in shops yesterday but maybe only half the people outside. So there's probably a lot of mask on, mask off going on. Lots of people holding them in their hands, pulling them from pockets, squishing them about on the faces, covering their mouths as they talk, licking their covid fingers after a greasy Gregg's. Good news to reduce their death breath when in shops but probably increasing their own chances by shovelling the virus into their gobs.

I've been wearing one 37.5 hours a week for months so good hygiene has been drummed into me and is second nature now. Just wondering if our beloved rulers have bothered explaining this to anyone else

Its criminal...where are the adverts. WE DEMAND NEW PiFs!!! Bring the horror in grainy doom-vision!

In seriousness, this is all scandalous and I can't wait to ring someone's neck.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 26, 2020, 09:40:56 AM
I've seen plenty of folks wearing masks driving around in cars on their own, what's that all about?!

Is it your business? I applaud them for being ultra-careful.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: timebug on July 26, 2020, 09:33:26 AM
Wore one on friday for shopping,and as i wear glasses too, it was a pain in the arse. Glasses kept misting up with my own breath! I have read various ways around this issue, but newsflash;they don't work for me. So off with glasses, shop through a blur, and restore glasses outside shop, as I remove mask. What a faff! I can see the sense in it health wise, it just makes something as simple as shopping, a bit more difficult.

Its difficult, yes, but keep at it.

pigamus

I just push mine forward a bit. Maybe it depends on the type of mask you wear.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on July 26, 2020, 10:05:56 AM
I just push mine forward a bit. Maybe it depends on the type of mask you wear.

Wash hands -> Mask on -> Eyeglasses/monocle on, if eyeglasses put over mask -> if totally steamed, wash hands, remove eyeglasses and replace when steam has gone -> if the latter is impossible, remove glasses by pinching end of leg and following previous instruction -> if its totally infuriating, don't go to shop

pigamus

Well there's a bit of steam still but it disappears straight away. Have I just got a big nose?

phes

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2020, 09:49:26 AM
Its criminal...where are the adverts. WE DEMAND NEW PiFs!!! Bring the horror in grainy doom-vision!

In seriousness, this is all scandalous and I can't wait to ring someone's neck.

Not on is it. How many kids were actually crushed to death by escalators in the 1970s. What's the Actual Grave to PTSD ratio. Here we are in the middle of a global pandemic and nothing. It's health and safety gone bloody idle

Dr Rock

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 26, 2020, 09:40:56 AM

I drive every day to one shop, get what I get from that shop, wearing a mask, then zip to another shop 2 minutes away. I don't bother taking the mask off in between.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 26, 2020, 12:38:43 PM
I drive every day to one shop, get what I get from that shop, wearing a mask, then zip to another shop 2 minutes away. I don't bother taking the mask off in between.

good point, but what about those on the motorway? I must have passed half a dozen of them crrrazy cats on the M6 last week

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 26, 2020, 12:58:18 PM
good point, but what about those on the motorway? I must have passed half a dozen of them crrrazy cats on the M6 last week

Are you offended by people wearing masks in cars? ;) ;)  <- note the winks*

*winks mean I'm a gentle joshing **

** not an attack or humiliation of your query ***

*** this is not sarcasm

Head Gardener

not at all I just see them as people living in fear and wish they had not been so misinformed by the government & media that they felt the need to keep them on ALL THE TIME

Head Gardener

nope, just normal folk driving on the motorway but with masks on

Glebe

FACE NAPPIES.

QuoteForcing passengers to don facial nappies has not led to more travelling by train or bus. I speak here from direct personal experience.

"Muzzle edict".

Fambo Number Mive

I see Hitchens got in a dig at people on furlough there. He may not be a supporter of the Government but he's certainly helping them with their attempt to distract from the government's response.

I do wear a mask when out and about.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 26, 2020, 03:47:36 PM
not at all I just see them as people living in fear and wish they had not been so misinformed by the government & media that they felt the need to keep them on ALL THE TIME

If I'm on the way to a shop, I wear mine on the way there even if I'm not going to be passing anyone on the way, because I find breathing in it a little bit difficult (for whatever reason) and so I wear it in advance to get used to it. Helps prevent anxiety for me.

Kelvin

Yes, went to get a hair cut the other day, both wore masks, felt safe. Was far more worried about the shoe shop I went in afterwards where every shoe was being handled and returned to the stands. Stuff like that is much more high risk, but I don't know the solution. I know it's not very popular to say this round here, but life does have to urgently return to semi-normality for lower risk people, to protect the economy and the lives it will impact.

In fact, I actually think low-risk people should have returned to some form of normality weeks or months ago, but with much clearer and more strictly enforced rules around masks, gloves, distancing, etc. I've been wary of posting on this topic, because I know people here are extremely passionate about it, but tbh, I really think the risk to healthy, young people has been overblown, and that the longer lasting economic fallout will be far more damaging, for far more people. We should have gone into lockdown sooner, used that time to establish clear, enforceable rules and safety measures, then low risk people returned to shopping, working, etc, much sooner, but with the better protections / distancing in place. The lockdown lasted too long, and when it (sort of) ended the guidance was (and remains) dangerously unclear and unenforced. On the other side, I think high risk people have been given a false sense of security and are being put at risk now.

Chedney Honks

I agree with much of that, Kelvin, and I understand your reticence.

My feeling is that we're very much near the start in terms of the socio-economic impact, even setting aside the psychological, cultural, non-Covid health impacts.

The issue is that younger people would also need to basically not mix with parents/grandparents, etc. Otherwise, they'd kill a lot of people and it would be pointless. Simple as that. The other issue - maybe more significant - is that we're now learning a lot more that death rates/tolls don't tell nearly the whole story. Lung damage is the tip of the iceberg. We now know much more about the direct correlation with strokes, heart attacks, blood clots, the neurological impact. We could say all over 50s and vulnerable people shield and we'll get on with it, but there would still be a massive public health impact even with a much lower death toll.

We need a vaccine, basically.