Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie Anomalies By Directors?

Started by MortSahlFan, July 24, 2020, 03:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 26, 2020, 09:34:12 PM
Cassavetes & that lame attempt to recreate Peter Falk and Adam Arkin's In-Laws success, Big Trouble.  He just stepped into an already doomed production, so dunno if you can blame him so much.
Great example. One of my favorite directors, but I guess I forget all about that piece of shit movie.. I guess he probably did it because he was dying? "Love Streams" would have been a good way to end a career.

phantom_power

Quote from: prwc on July 27, 2020, 11:06:28 PM
That's me told. Maybe I should give it a look, it can't be any worse than TAV.

I remember it being quite a good, odd little drama when I saw it on Moviedrome or something in the 90s. Ed Harris is good in it. It is all about renaissance fair bikers

Brundle-Fly

David Fincher's The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008) or The Social Network (2010) ?

All his other movies to date have been fairly/ very dark thrillers except for this fantasy romance yarn and a dry biographical drama about the Facebook bloke.

SavageHedgehog

I think when it was announced, Fincher doing "a Facebook film" (when most of us didn't know the name Mark Zuckerberg) after the twee Benjamin Button made it seem like he was losing the thread a bit, but I think The Social Network turned out to be more in keeping with his past work than we expected, even if Sorkin is probably the real auteur of the piece.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Does Interiors count? Probably not, as Woody Allen went on to make other serious films, but at the time nobody could've expected a punishingly sombre Bergman-esque drama from a filmmaker who had hitherto focused exclusively on comedy (and often very silly comedy at that).

Brundle-Fly

Magic (1978) Richard Attenborough's only foray into psychological thrillers (verging on horror) from a career of directing musicals, romantic dramas and big name biopics.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 28, 2020, 09:45:26 PM
Does Interiors count? Probably not, as Woody Allen went on to make other serious films, but at the time nobody could've expected a punishingly sombre Bergman-esque drama from a filmmaker who had hitherto focused exclusively on comedy (and often very silly comedy at that).

Quite a few after that but that was certainly the first curveball. 

Alan Parker would be the hardest to find an anomaly I think. If you ever wanted to stump an improv comedy troupe asking for 'in the movie style of' suggestions, just shout his name out. 

Hand Solo

I've only just realised there's a Coen brothers film I haven't seen - The Naked Man

Dr. Edward Blis, Jr, a chiropractor by day, moonlights as a professional wrestler at night. His wrestling name is the Naked Man and he wears a naked body suit when wrestling. After his parents are killed by Sticks Varona, a cripple with crutches which double as machine guns, and an Elvis Presley impersonator, he loses his sanity. He adopts the persona of his wrestling character and goes on a rampage of revenge.

Except it was directed by their usual Storyboard artist J. Todd Anderson. I'm guessing it's not much good or I would have heard of it before, but I might put this on at some point but I tend to not get on with the Coen's more 'quirky' comedies.