Author Topic: Utopia (Amazon 2020)  (Read 439 times)

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
Utopia (Amazon 2020)
« on: July 24, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
I thought this had gone away after Fincher(?) dropped it - the remake of the Channel 4 series Utopia.  It's been announced at ComicCon and first trailer is here:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/utopia-trailer-comic-con-amazon-1234713342/

Written by Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl) and starring John Cusack.

Bet they don't do the school shooting bit, that was rather dark...

chveik

• I feel like swimmin' in rat piss
Re: Utopia (Amazon 2020)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 04:47:03 PM »
not really interested, Gillian Flynn is a mediocre writer. a third series would've been nice though

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 04:50:58 PM »
The original was great,  so I also would've preferred a continuation.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »
Another thing I might be more interested in if it wasn't a remake of something I really liked.

It certainly doesn't look as visually unique as the original did.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 07:33:07 PM »
The colour grading on the channel 4 one was really spectacular.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »
If it contains this speech I'll be enormously impressed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVrVV-fDSs - but I doubt it will, or if it does it'll be watered down.

The original was great,  so I also would've preferred a continuation.

I loved the first series to pieces but the second was a more mixed affair, the storyline started to drag a bit and the ending was disappointing. Hopefully if the US version is better than it looks it'll go on for a bit longer, and give us a more satisfying conclusion than the UK one did.

chveik

• I feel like swimmin' in rat piss
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »
I loved the first series to pieces but the second was a more mixed affair, the storyline started to drag a bit and the ending was disappointing. Hopefully if the US version is better than it looks it'll go on for a bit longer, and give us a more satisfying conclusion than the UK one did.

well it was cancelled...

and the first episode of series 2 is incredible

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
well it was cancelled...

Oh I know, and I have held a grudge against Channel 4 ever since, though I'd always hoped Dennis Kelly might have continued it as a comic, which would have been nicely fitting.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 10:30:11 PM »
well it was cancelled...

and the first episode of series 2 is incredible

Yeah but the rest of series 2 is a limp retread of the first series that goes nowhere until the final episode. What a waste of a great cast and concept.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »
Watched the trailer. Yay, Kima from The Wire! But it looks like they're basically giving away everything at the start rather that dip-drip-dripping the mystery, which is predictably mundane and American.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »
Agreed with some that while series 1 was great, series 2 really trailed off. It felt like a repeat that didn't know where to take the story, and then instead of rounding it off they just plugged in a forced cliffhanger to artificially extend it, a gamble that obviously backfired. I think a series 3 would have felt like definitely one too many, although I really would have loved seeing Wilson Wilson in action.

Not sure I can be arsed giving it a try. I do increasingly wonder why they bother recreating these things so faithfully instead of just doing their own thing.

Tags: