Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Utopia (Amazon 2020)

Started by surreal, July 24, 2020, 04:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

I read the original book earlier this year and from what I've seen so far this is so far removed from it that it's ridiculous to use the same title.

Mister Six

Quote from: frajer on October 09, 2020, 01:55:15 PM
It might be genuinely good if it wasn't a retread of a genuinely great, unusual and interesting series. But it doesn't seem to have any ambition beyond that. And as olliebean pointed out, it's remarkable they have the balls to says "created by Gillian Flynn, based on a series by Dennis Kelly" in the credits.

This comes up a lot on here, usually when it's a book adaptation. That's not ballsy, it's TV convention. This series WAS created by whoever the fuck Gillian Flynn is, regardless of how closely it hews to the original.

frajer

Quote from: Mister Six on October 19, 2020, 02:54:37 PM
This comes up a lot on here, usually when it's a book adaptation. That's not ballsy, it's TV convention. This series WAS created by whoever the fuck Gillian Flynn is, regardless of how closely it hews to the original.

Fair play. I think it's just because it's such an unoriginal adaptation that this credit feels like it's taking the piss. But yeah I suppose she has "created" this version.

phantom_power

Quote from: KennyMonster on October 19, 2020, 11:23:55 AM
I read the original book earlier this year and from what I've seen so far this is so far removed from it that it's ridiculous to use the same title.

Book?

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on October 19, 2020, 04:07:12 PM
Book?

That'll be a jocular reference to the Thomas More tome, I'd warrant.

phantom_power

I am not clever enough for that reference

KennyMonster

Quote from: olliebean on October 19, 2020, 04:09:26 PM
That'll be a jocular reference to the Thomas More tome, I'd warrant.

yeah but playing kinda fast n loose with the definition of 'jocular'

Chairman Yang

Never seen the original one, watched that instead. It's fucking great. I can see what everyone was banging on about now, just some properly technicolor conspiracy bollocks.

Started the new one and it's a beige dirge that opens with a young couple buying a house and expositing. Gave up, hopefully no bugger watches it.