Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:05:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How long have you been a verbwhore?

Started by Retinend, July 24, 2020, 08:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long have you been a verbwhore?

1 year
2 (1.5%)
2 years
4 (3%)
3 (2.2%)
6 (4.4%)
4 (3%)
6 (4.4%)
1 (0.7%)
8 (5.9%)
9 (6.7%)
6 (4.4%)
4 (3%)
7 (5.2%)
6 (4.4%)
11 (8.1%)
12 (8.9%)
7 (5.2%)
9 (6.7%)
7 (5.2%)
8 (5.9%)
15 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 135

iamcoop

I joined in 2007 and have yet to make any considerable impact of note.

Famous Mortimer

I signed up after being directed to the Tumbleweeds (the very early years of the site had an annual awards ceremony for the worst comedy of the year, I just realise I should add as some people don't remember us being verbwhores) at another site. I might have originally been on the Chortle forums? Dunno.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: jobotic on July 25, 2020, 12:51:57 AM
What was on the rest of the site?

In addition to what MojoJojo said, there was loads more.  It's varied over time, at one point there was lots of audio of nearly all of Morris' radio shows, and even some video clips (before YouTube was invented - I think some/all of them still survive on there now), such as unused Brass Eye bits.

There were also things like Blue Jam music listings and site-written articles about Morris' various projects, etc., and a huge archive of newspaper and magazine clippings (usually text only, but sometimes pics) of interviews, reviews, articles, etc.

Most of the latter survived in some form or other up until the site got hacked around 3 years ago by a Russian script-kiddie looking for money (turned out our previous webhosts hadn't been being very diligent).  The forum got brought back within about 3 or 4 days, the rest is a work in very gradual process.

The Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org) may be of some help for the curious (for our younger readers, also try putting chilled.cream.org into it).  Right now it's 3am, I can't be arsed. :-)

Kryton

Oh it was Russians who hacked us then? I always wondered.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Kryton on July 25, 2020, 03:16:05 AM
Oh it was Russians who hacked us then? I always wondered.

I could be wrong, but that was the impression I got.  Just "routine" Russian/East-European cybercriminals saying something like "Give us £5000(?) or we nuke the site".  Was told to do one, knowing we had intact backups.  Only about a day's worth of posts were lost.

Sorry if I'm typing out of turn here, Barry, hopefully I'm not.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 25, 2020, 01:19:18 AMWhat's a verbivore?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verbivore

QuoteNoun
verbivore (plural verbivores)

(humorous) One who has an enjoyment of words and wordplay.

Etymology
From Latin verbum ("word") +‎ Latin vorax, from vorō ("devour"), on the pattern of herbivore and carnivore; coined in the early 1980s by Richard Lederer.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 25, 2020, 01:23:03 AM
is this a fetish site? fuck.

Sadly not.

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2020, 01:29:35 AM
iirc this was an imitationleather worship site until everyone else turned up and ruined it.

I was about to say, you used to be the original Thomas, didn't you?  Didn't you sign up aged 13 or 15 or something? :-)

Quote from: iamcoop on July 25, 2020, 02:17:48 AM
I joined in 2007 and have yet to make any considerable impact of note.

Oh I dunno... I always look at your username and go, "Oh yeah, Ian Coop.  Oh no, hang on, *squints*, I Am Coop."  Which makes me think of Twin Peaks and thus is a positive impact on me. :-)

ProvanFan

I was lurking in the early 00s. Monkey Dust, Two Pints of Lager, jumpers for goalposts.

Ambient Sheep

Oh go on then (you knew I would)... just a fairly typical example of the old (but not the oldest) front page, pre-dating The Great Board Crash of Dec 2003-Jan 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031204210144/http://chilled.cream.org/forums/portal.php
(Some really good stuff there about Jam that I'd long forgotten!)

Then a couple of later ones, all these plucked at semi-random.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060523040308/http://chilled.cream.org/forums/portal.php

http://web.archive.org/web/20080513070348/http://chilled.cream.org/

There's been so many variations, both before and since, but they'll do for now.  I'm stopping, honest.

easytarget

Since pre-crash. Moved to that America in 2001 and searched for morris/partridge/iannucci mp3s on the web2.0 information super highway (streaming into my horrible flat at tens of kilobytes per second on our 'cable modem'), so 19ish(?) years, coming up on half my life.
fucking hell.

phes

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 25, 2020, 03:14:16 AM

The Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org) may be of some help for the curious (for our younger readers, also try putting chilled.cream.org into it).  Right now it's 3am, I can't be arsed. :-)

Wowza. First time I've seen pre-crash pages since. I'm not going to flick through and try to find myself under 'online now' at 3am almost twenty years ago for fear I flicker out of existence. Looking at the old pages I think I can date when I joined back to about 02 or 03.

'links to things that are cool' was a revelation

AliasTheCat

Signed up four years ago but had been lurking for a lot longer, I think since around the time of the Brass Eye Special. I really should post more often.

Since the Imitation Wank days.
Been away for around 10 years but back now under a new name. Basically cause I'm sick of Facebook.

earl_sleek

11 years[nb]albeit I think most of them posting under a different account[/nb], fuck me. And that's nothing to some. Probably played a large part in keeping me sane throughout those years, so thanks Neil and the rest of you cunts.

Petey Pate

Starting lurking sometime in 2010, made my first post in January 2011.

shiftwork2

First post was 14 years ago.  Shite then, shite now.  At least they're short eh readers?  Lurked for a good few years before that - so it must be 17 or so years of this rather wonderful place.

pigamus

Did this start out as the SOTCAA boards or was this place just announced on there?
I was here at the beginning, I remember that, but I haven't always been here, I float around the net, popping up random places like a sexy ghost. I don't like to sit for too long.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 24, 2020, 10:53:27 PM
3 and a bit years. Complete waste of time.

Most of the latter survived in some form or other up until the site got hacked around 3 years ago by a Russian script-kiddie looking for money

Purely a coincidence. Will do a better job next time.

Coming up 14 years under this somewhat regrettable username, though I did lurk for a few years under a presumably even worse one! It was around 9-11 because I can remember the thread. And waspys wife!

Dex Sawash

Most of the latter survived in some form or other up until the site got hacked around 3 years ago by a Russian script-kiddie looking for money (turned out our previous webhosts hadn't been being very diligent).  The forum got brought back within about 3 or 4 days, the rest is a work in very gradual process.

Was fucking rudderless for those 3 days. I guess I have a problem. Got a 502 bad gateway for a few minutes yesterday, that was nice.

ETA- 5.5 years

Coincidentally, I've just been up to Cramlington today. Famously the town that raised a strangely disproportionate number of Verbwhores.

El Unicornio, mang

Since just after the Brass Eye Special aired (which was July 26 2001), so pretty much exactly 19 years.

El Unicornio, mang will think twice before saying THAT again!

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 25, 2020, 12:26:37 PM
Did this start out as the SOTCAA boards or was this place just announced on there?
I was here at the beginning, I remember that, but I haven't always been here, I float around the net, popping up random places like a sexy ghost. I don't like to sit for too long.

No. It came from a bulletin board called Imitation Wank.
There were SOTCAA members on here though.

Cerys

Barry Admin

Quote from: Pawawal Hooberdand on July 25, 2020, 12:50:49 PM
No. It came from a bulletin board called Imitation Wank.

Nah, that was something else, nothing to do with me or CaB.

Welcome back btw :-D

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 25, 2020, 01:19:48 PM
Nah, that was something else, nothing to do with me or CaB.

20+ years of certainty down the drain.

Mr_Simnock

12.5 years, joined Jan 2008, lurked for about 18 months before that, biniput alerted me to the site. I miss CaB radio and wish I could get rid of a couple posts but other than that it's still very good. Can't imagine a day I don't browse this place at least 5 times a day.

Neomod

2007!! Blimey. Didn't make my first post until 2010 though, apparently about BB11 and Josie walking out[nb]worth waiting for i'm sure you'll agree[/nb].

I was on NOTBBC before this. The Jets to CAB's Sharks if you will.