Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fear The Walking Dead S6

Started by Malcy, July 24, 2020, 09:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ahdviaYBT78

Back on Oct 11th. There was a new trailer on the Comic Con panel earlier. I think it looks great. Much prefer this to TWD but felt at times last series that I was straying a bit in the main shows direction and I hope not.

Fear always had a change in location and some really great filming locations but now it's starting to go a bit green and foresty.

kitsofan34

Interesting..."homage" to  There Will Be Blood in there.

Malcy

Thought the first ep was great. Will be interesting to see how the series will be with each episode concentrating on specific characters rather than an ensemble.

First up was Morgan's episode following on from him being shot by comedy cowboy villain Virginia. I find it hard to take her seriously. Looks like she's heading to a barn dance.

Spoiler alert
The bounty hunter was an interesting character, would like to have seen more of him. Some axe he had. Morgan abandoning his way of life or attitude to killing will be interesting going forward. Think he's been in that frame of mind since early-ish TWD.

I wonder who patched him up.
[close]

Malcy

Second ep good but not a patch on the first.

Spoiler alert
Genuinely thought that Daniel had his memory beaten out of him at first. Glad to see it was all an act even if Strand doesn't know it yet. I wonder if Morgan is going to turn up at the end of each episode. Hope he fucks that Virginia up. There was a character i didn't recognise/remember. The woman who was also at the prison camp. Was she the one they rescued from a house surrounded by landmines?
[close]

Malcy

This is really good.

Spoiler alert
Great that Dwight finally got reunited with Sherry, Cherry? Can't even remember when she was last seen. Probably S7 of TWD? Bubonic plague! I'm surprised more diseases don't pop up on these shows. Must be rampant without proper medical access.

Not sure I really understood what was going on with the supplies on the roof. Why were they there? Who was putting them there for the helicopter to come get them?
[close]

Malcy

Think that's one of my favourite episodes of this show. John has been such a great character since he joined and this episode really hammered home how much they have given up and had to adapt just to keep hope. I'm really liking having the focus of each episode on just one or two characters with small appearances from others.

Really liking the
Spoiler alert
little teases of the submarine and the key. Didn't expect who I thought were going to be somewhat regular characters to get offed by Morgan. If he had just had his stick he would have probably found out what the key was for but new Morgan isn't taking any shit.

Is the key just to open the submarine? It's a fairly safe place to be but since it's on dry land I can maybe see the dam coming back into play somehow.
[close]

More episodes like this one please.

Malcy

Hadn't realised this was back until I saw a spoilery headline for an article reviewing the episode!

Back with a bang with an episode that finds
Spoiler alert
John Dory about to commit suicide in his cabin but keeps being interrupted by walkers washing up outside. Heads up the road to find out why and comes across Dakota & an injured Morgan. It isn't long before Morgan realises what John is planning and they set out to get rid of a horde of walkers on a nearby bridge.

This gives us one of those really disgusting scenes where a walker gets caught in the wheel of the truck and splatters everywhere while they try to get free from it. After clearing them all Morgan goes somewhere leaving Dakota & John to secure the bridge, which is when John notices her knife is the one used in the murder of a ranger, has it out with her and she shoots him close range into the chest and pushes him off the bridge.

Proper heartbreaking scene when he washes up at the cabin and June runs to him to try save him but as he lifts his head she sees he's turned and has to put a knife through his head.

Thought this a right shame as he was one of the best characters the franchise has ever had. It was a great episode to have as his last as his character came to terms with a lot. Dakota is also revealed as the person who saved Morgan when he was left to die by Virginia.
[close]

Then another one appeared online last night.

Spoiler alert
Strand was ordered by Virginia to prepare an army for something that is coming, which I suppose could be the CRM, but he trains them to go against Virginia and they take Lawton from her. About time really. She manages to get Grace & Daniel taken away so Morgan kidnaps her to use her to get them back but everyone wants her dead. Morgan convinces them to let her live and stay at his new place. Not long after telling Dakota that she is her mother and not her sister, Virginia gets her bullet wound patched up by June who then sticks a bullet right between her eyes!

There's been a lot of talk about Madison returning and her being the one who saved Morgan. Since it wasn't her I doubt she will now but I wonder what Strand is going to do to convince Alicia to join him. Seemed like he had a plan.
[close]

Having thought this would have been the story for the second half of the series it was nice to see it all wrapped up early. Now can we get back to the mystery of the submarine and the key?! If the remaining episodes keep up the quality then it's going to be great.

kngen

Thought that first ep of the new run was great, and did everything TWD doesn't do. Genuinely emotional payoffs, characters acting in unexpected ways, but with motivation and consequences.
Spoiler alert
Leading characters dying unexpectedly
[close]
, not telegraphed for 16 episodes.

Second one fell into the old TWD (and a host of other poorly written TV shows) trap of people just not saying what they should
Spoiler alert
i.e Morgan telling the other two groups, 'Eh, you can kill her, but she has the mother of my unborn child secreted away somewhere, so I need to find out where they are first, OK?' to which they'd surely go, 'Aye, right you are Morgan. We'll just hang around here for a bit while you get that sorted.'
[close]

Still a ton more fun that the snoozefest that TWD has been for 80% of its run

Malcy

Quote from: kngen on April 19, 2021, 01:36:56 PM
Spoiler alert
'Eh, you can kill her, but she has the mother of my unborn child secreted away somewhere,
[close]

Still a ton more fun that the snoozefest that TWD has been for 80% of its run

Spoiler alert
Is it Morgan's child? I thought she was pregnant when they met. I can't remember really.
[close]

kngen

Quote from: Malcy on April 19, 2021, 01:55:23 PM
Spoiler alert
Is it Morgan's child? I thought she was pregnant when they met. I can't remember really.
[close]

Yeah, you're probably right.
Spoiler alert
I thought he might have got her knocked up at the shopping mall, but that seems unlikely thinking back.
[close]

Malcy

I like when the show concentrates on a character. This one was very much Daniels episode. Great scene with him and Strand talking about the time he was shot in the face. Ruben Blades is really good in this show and great to see him reunited with Skidmark.

Spoiler alert
Thought they were going down an early onset dementia storyline for him but seems not. Found myself a bit confused with the graffiti stuff. Vaguely remember there being some at one point.
[close]

Malcy

Ep 11

Nick Stahl in a bunker talking about protecting the future was very Terminator 3! I thought the CRM would be the big villains of this half but it seems this group and their bearded leader could be a bigger threat. Tying into the submarine thing I'm now thinking that
Spoiler alert
Rather than getting the submarine in water somehow that this group want to launch a few nukes onto the surface then re-emerge from their underground lair years down the line.
[close]

Leading into ep 12 which is genuinely one of if not the saddest most heart breaking things the franchise has ever done.

Spoiler alert
The whole thing was signposting Grace's death in childbirth right from the off but fucking hell that ending was really upsetting and unexpected. I thought they were going to do the cliche of a baby not breathing then relief when it cries, but no. Really grim. Still a bit shocked to be honest.
[close]

Grace's dream scenes looked fantastic. Probably the most colourful the show has ever been. Genuinely think that anyone who bailed on this show is missing out. Far superior to TWD.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Malcy on May 07, 2021, 09:57:59 PM
Ep 11

Nick Stahl in a bunker talking about protecting the future was very Terminator 3! I thought the CRM would be the big villains of this half but it seems this group and their bearded leader could be a bigger threat. Tying into the submarine thing I'm now thinking that
Spoiler alert
Rather than getting the submarine in water somehow that this group want to launch a few nukes onto the surface then re-emerge from their underground lair years down the line.
[close]

Leading into ep 12 which is genuinely one of if not the saddest most heart breaking things the franchise has ever done.

Spoiler alert
The whole thing was signposting Grace's death in childbirth right from the off but fucking hell that ending was really upsetting and unexpected. I thought they were going to do the cliche of a baby not breathing then relief when it cries, but no. Really grim. Still a bit shocked to be honest.
[close]

Grace's dream scenes looked fantastic. Probably the most colourful the show has ever been. Genuinely think that anyone who bailed on this show is missing out. Far superior to TWD.

Is it worth going back to? I quit during the boat season and then watched one more episode when the woman who was doing those documenatry pieces to camera showed up but other than that haven't seen anymore. and when I heard they killed off the junkie son who showed most promise as being the central character of the show I could not be arsed. I still have stuck with the main show but thats more out of a mis-guided sense of 'well i've watched too much of it to drop out now'.

Malcy

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on May 07, 2021, 10:31:56 PM
Is it worth going back to? I quit during the boat season and then watched one more episode when the woman who was doing those documenatry pieces to camera showed up but other than that haven't seen anymore. and when I heard they killed off the junkie son who showed most promise as being the central character of the show I could not be arsed. I still have stuck with the main show but thats more out of a mis-guided sense of 'well i've watched too much of it to drop out now'.

I had considered going back and watching TWD from where I quit (S9E5 I think, Rick's last) for the same reason as you but I really don't see the point now as Fear has been so consistently good, especially this series and the main show just drags everything out. The characters, the situations, locations are all so much better. I just gave up caring about all the characters. Fear has a better mix I think.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Malcy on May 07, 2021, 11:06:48 PM
I had considered going back and watching TWD from where I quit (S9E5 I think, Rick's last) for the same reason as you but I really don't see the point now as Fear has been so consistently good, especially this series and the main show just drags everything out. The characters, the situations, locations are all so much better. I just gave up caring about all the characters. Fear has a better mix I think.

Yeah, regarding the main show I could quite easily compile about a ten episode list, if that!, from where you stopped watching, where you would literally miss nothing in between and still be caught up (and would happily do so). But the feet dragging is ridiculous, worse than ever. There's a genuine sense of 'will this do?' lazyness that really comes across on screen.

That said it still, every so often, produces a truly great moment/episode which keeps me watching. But the rest in between is sometimes borderline insulting.

Malcy

Nice to see that John Dory lives on in some form in this show as seen in today's ep.

Spoiler alert
John Dory Sr! And he's out to get that Teddy fucker from 2 episodes ago.
[close]

This series really tugging on the heart strings recently. Really was a lot of great scenes and imagery this week.

Spoiler alert
The pre-credits scene between Morgan & June was tense and very warranted on Morgan's part with how raw he was feeling. And John Dory Sr's bloodied hand touching his son's grave while being attacked as well was quite something.

Grace hiding out in the barn not wanting to see anyone and looking so vulnerable at the end when June & John arrived.
[close]

Accidentally caught the title of eps 14 & 15 which are

Spoiler alert
Mother & Daughter & USS whateverthesubmarineisnamed!
[close]

Obviously the speculation is rife that episode 14 will be
Spoiler alert
the return of Madison
[close]

Not sure I see it happening myself.

Even taken on the whole this show shits all over TWD. S6 alone has probably been my favourite run of episodes since TWD S1.