Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 10

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, July 25, 2020, 11:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 13, 2020, 01:48:02 PM
That's what I mean, his public persona is that he's an intellectual, went to Cambridge, all that. And he certainly doesn't disagree, even though he acknowledges how utterly useless he is at every day life.

He didn't just 'go to Cambridge' - he got a double first, and started a PhD at UCL. Which just goes to show...

frajer

It was also a strange moment in Taskmaster when he touted his four(!) No.1 hits.

(But it does make more sense when you realise he meant Three Lions reaching no. 1 four times).

BeardFaceMan

4 times? Not like David Baddiel to repeat something.

Menu

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 13, 2020, 03:26:38 PM
He didn't just 'go to Cambridge' - he got a double first, and started a PhD at UCL. Which just goes to show...

Alright, David's mum! Although i don't think that this is necessarily his public persona. Surely his public persona is of a laddish football fan but not as funny as Frank.

Utter Shit

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 13, 2020, 01:48:02 PM
Thats what i mean, his public persona is that he's an intellectual, went to Cambridge, all that. And he certainly doesnt disagree, even though he acknowledges how utterly useless he is at every day life.
Working at a university I can tell you this is absolutely standard for academics in my experience.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 14, 2020, 10:59:27 AM
Working at a university I can tell you this is absolutely standard for academic in my experience.

Yeah I had a taste of that at the office where I first started work doing accounts, guy in charge was a maths wiz but didn't know anything about any other area of life at all, he'd spent most of his life alone in a room reading books. If you talked to him about anything other than maths you'd think he was functionally retarded. Lovely chap, though.

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed they're repeating an extended version of the episode on Tuesdays, with it lasting 80 minutes. Not sure how I feel about that to hbe honest and I'd prefer it if they just released the extra footage online rather than having to sit through the episode again just to catch the odd extra bit here and there.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 15, 2020, 10:18:51 AM
Just noticed they're repeating an extended version of the episode on Tuesdays, with it lasting 80 minutes. Not sure how I feel about that to hbe honest and I'd prefer it if they just released the extra footage online rather than having to sit through the episode again just to catch the odd extra bit here and there.

Hmm. I've always enjoyed the deleted scenes they've released online in the past, but tbh this "extended version" business is something I tend to associate more with the likes of HIGNFY and QI, where I've on occasion watched the extended version and just thought, yeah, I can see why they cut those bits out. So I'm in two minds about this.

JamesTC

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 15, 2020, 10:18:51 AM

Just checked on the Virgin TV Guide and it says the repeat on Tuesday lasts an hour (22:20-23:20).

olliebean

Quote from: JamesTC on October 15, 2020, 02:00:52 PM
Just checked on the Virgin TV Guide and it says the repeat on Tuesday lasts an hour (22:20-23:20).

Can't find any reference to an extended version online, either. SMBH, where did you get your info?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on October 15, 2020, 02:13:04 PM
Can't find any reference to an extended version online, either. SMBH, where did you get your info?

It was from the British Comedy Guide's tv schedule here - https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/schedule/2020-10-20/new/ - They're normally fairly reliable but may have got things mixed up somehow.

g0m

I was wondering if channel 4 would make as many deleted scenes available as Dave had via their youtube channel, and i guess this means the answer is, kind of...? i remember them really having to stretch to find content for the deleted scenes for series 6 and to a lesser extent series 8 which to my mind spoke to those ones not being as good

steamed hams

Some clips from episode 1 below, you can see the socially distanced studio setup in them as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcstQSKvBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M28z4S-j5Qc

amateur

I will say they've gone above and beyond with the set for this one. If you're going to socially distance, do it properly.

Great first task! Classic Taskmaster silliness.

jobotic

Not really working for me, although I've been bored of it for a while now.

I really like Daisy May Cooper though.

I'm genuinely worried that Daisy May Cooper may give birth whenever she starts laughing

Spode

Maybe I'll need time to get used to it (longer than half an episode for example) but it's really missing an audience and having all the contestants in shot at once.

amateur

Really enjoying Mawaan's creativity so far. Creative + shit = perfect Taskmaster contestant for me, Clive.

Norton Canes

Was in stitches over Daisy May Cooper in stitches.

Black Ship

Aw god, poor Johnny with them balloons. My heart just sank.

A joy. The most I've laughed all year. I said after the last series that it could do with a bit of a refresh. Turns out it just needed funnier contestants.

selectivememory

Pretty good. Strong cast (and actually the two that I didn't know - Daisy and Mawaan - were probably the funniest) and Greg was in great form.

Tasks a bit mediocre though, but hopefully they're just saving the better ones for later episodes.

imitationleather

I thought it was a promising start. The best series always built and built as they went on and I reckon this one could be the same.

Alberon

Parkinson and even Herring are going to have a hard time competing with the other three titans. Vegas was pretty much as expected but Cooper and Rizwan have been excellent so far.

Purple Toupee

I enjoyed that a lot. I'm pretty sure that's the first time everyone's got zero points for a task?

It does feel less chaotic though with the distanced seating and lack of live audience, the reveal on the egg task would have been better with an audience to play up to.

Utter Shit

God it's so bloody good. An hour of joyful silliness was just what I needed. Alex cautiously stepping away from Mawaan when he started wondering whether the balls could be used in the drink task was my highlight.

I was a little worried that going to a mainstream channel might see some changes to make it slightly less weird, but it seems like they have been allowed to retain everything that made it good, right down to Greg slating the ads. Great stuff.

Bahamadia

Hey, does anyone have any links to the new episode? I'm an Australian and cannot access the Youtube channel (and am too silly to know how to get around the geolocation these days) Thanks if anyone can :)

Sin Agog

Really like this, and Rizwan, Vegas and Cooper were all up there with the best, but Herring is well boring.  Doesn't seem to have anything to say, even with his proven chemistry with Davis and Vegas on RHLSTP.  You'd think after begging Horne and Davis on camera to have him on he'd do more than just gurn like a dog with its head out of the car window.

C_Larence

I've never liked this show, from the few episodes I've bothered to watch it's always struck me as contrived and "wacky". One task that sticks in my memory is Noel Fielding superimposed on a bowl of fruit, in a task where he had to hide in a caravan. But he wasn't hiding the caravan was he? He was added in later. I watched this tonight though because, as has been discussed in the current Simpsons thread, you can't criticise something if you don't at least sample it.

My opinion hasn't changed very much. I found Greg Davies extremely funny in the studio bits, he's by far the best thing about the show. Alex Horne on the other hand does nothing for me, I don't buy the persona at all. Similarly, the tasks are awful. Mawaan winning by making a tiny cow look like it disappeared wasn't the task, it was to make the biggest thing in the room vanish. The cow was tiny. I think my biggest problem is that I can't suspend my disbelief that everything happens the way it's filmed. Something about the tasks feels overly manufactured (like the abundance of "convenient" props) and I'm constantly suspicious of shots that look like they've been added in later to get better coverage. .

I'm genuinely glad everyone here loves it so much, I don't want to detract from that, just want to say it isn't for me and I won't be watching more unless the whole show is an hour of Greg Davies telling the contestants they're functionally retarded.

Quote from: C_Larence on October 16, 2020, 05:49:50 AM
I've never liked this show, from the few episodes I've bothered to watch it's always struck me as contrived and "wacky". One task that sticks in my memory is Noel Fielding superimposed on a bowl of fruit, in a task where he had to hide in a caravan. But he wasn't hiding the caravan was he? He was added in later.

That was a low point. But in defence of that moment, contestants are allowed to ask for help and do things however they want - and then it's up to Greg to decide if it's allowed. I don't really care as long as it's funny. That bit definitely wasn't.

That series was a stinker for tasks (dance to a ringtone, invent a special handshake...) and I thought they'd run out of ideas, but they've pulled it back since.